Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cap Steak Concerns

Options
This will probably start a war. 

First of all, I agree that the cap is the best part of a ribeye.  I also love a rare steak. 

My concern is with the rolling technique and the possible exposure to bacteria near the middle. The fact that the interior of the roll is not cooked to a suitable temp to kill bacteria creeps me out. 

This is very different than eating a rare steak since the middle of a normal steak has never been exposed to a butcher's table. 

Before the first response is submitted... Yes, I am aware that it can be unrolled to cook which would effectively expose the exterior to sufficient heat needed to kill bacteria on the surface. 

Am am I the only one?  Do we have a resident microbiologist willing to chime in?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    I had the same thought with the tolled up steaks, but ultimately, I have never been the victim of severe food poisoning and I'm too lazy to be paranoid.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I,m going to do mine unrolled . Not for the safety aspect , but so I can get a quick sear on all sides . 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I had the same thought as well. I still think it is a fairly minimal risk similar to eating medium rare burgers. I would probably use a sous vide at 130 for a couple of hours to be on the safe side (and it is a great way to cook a steak anyway). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    Agreed. I usually don't mind taking a chance when exposure is limited to 1 pass by the knife. I have to know and trust the source for ground or tossed around on a work surface. 
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would have no problems eating it raw so rolled and cooked would be good for me as well. been eating ground burger and ground lamb raw at room temp most of my life =) maybe those bad bugs fear me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw could probably shed some light on the subject for you. Personally I would not worry about it.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw could probably shed some light on the subject for you. Personally I would not worry about it.
    i have eaten thin cuts off a 45 day dry aged darby_crenshaw made ribeye raw before =) i know he has as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've never considered the food safety aspect of the rolled cap steak. But I do know that I don't like to cook it rolled up.
    To me, when it is rolled up, After cooking, during cutting, it tends to unroll. This alters the crust to interior meat ratio in an unfavorable way.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    My healthy as a horse sister was hospitalized  for the first time in her life for five days  because of food poisoning two years ago. Don't know exactly what caused it but I'm a lot more careful since. 

Ex:
    I no longer buy the Costco blade tenderized meat.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    It's a legitimate concern, especially if you don't trust the butcher.  You don't want to roll the dice with food borne illness, even if you get away with it for years.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Concern is minimal if IT 130 which is where that steak wins.  Paranoia will destroya.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Interesting. Firstly I prefer med rare and occasionally rare. On a thick cut Cowboy or Cap I'll usually go med rare for myself and the Mrs. (me writhing in anguish) prefers well, well done :disappointed:  It's her steak and I aim to please. And even though it's well done it's juicy and flavorful...just not my cup of tea. I've never really been overly concerned on beef rare bacteria. Yes, the center is cool but, it loves me. That's why it's red right? :smiley:
    We roll the dice in life and eating a steak I can honestly tell you I don't lose sleep over the bacteria. 

You've had unprotected sex right?  Much higher chance of mishaps there. :grin:  I'm just saying enjoy your steak and sex...don't overanalyze. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I don't believe Costco Jaccards their caps, but I could be wrong.  Give the label a read.  Independent, I'm in the unrolled camp, having tried jelly-rolled as well.  Get a sear on all sides with the unrolled cut.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Interesting. Firstly I prefer med rare and occasionally rare. On a thick cut Cowboy or Cap I'll usually go med rare for myself and the Mrs. (me writhing in anguish) prefers well, well done :disappointed:  It's her steak and I aim to please. And even though it's well done it's juicy and flavorful...just not my cup of tea. I've never really been overly concerned on beef rare bacteria. Yes, the center is cool but, it loves me. That's why it's red right? :smiley:
    We roll the dice in life and eating a steak I can honestly tell you I don't lose sleep over the bacteria. 

You've had unprotected sex right?  Much higher chance of mishaps there. :grin:  I'm just saying enjoy your steak and sex...don't overanalyze. 

Just be clear, most of us are very comfortable eating rare steak, but a rolled cap is unique in that the "middle" of the meat was exposed to the table.  So, eating a ribeye at say 115 is actually much, much safer than eating a rolled cap at 140 IF your butcher sucks. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Very simple--buy boxed beef and make your own cap steaks if you are concerned. I'm with @fishlessman, build a tolerance. $hit, there are more bacteria on the beer bottle you are swigging out of them inside that steak.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.