Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will it Sous Vide

Options
I dont Sous Vide (yet) but have been following to get a better feel for the process and am now following this from Lifehacker.

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/welcome-to-will-it-sous-vide-the-immersion-cooker-col-1785515345
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I can speak for the bacon. It's good. And fries up super quick. I browned both sides. Chef steps leaves one side floppy. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

just got my machine.  first cook was pork tenderloins.  I'm not sure it was worth the extra work of bagging and setting up the SV and all that.  but it made timing really easy - when we were ready to eat I just threw them on the grill for a few minutes to brown up.  and the texture was consistent and perfect across every bite.

second 'cook' was pasteurizing eggs.  I've got a little one who's favorite part of a fried egg is the "oke." I haven't given her salmonella yet but now that I have the machine I thought I'd give pasteurized eggs a try.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:

second 'cook' was pasteurizing eggs.  I've got a little one who's favorite part of a fried egg is the "oke." I haven't given her salmonella yet but now that I have the machine I thought I'd give pasteurized eggs a try.

@blind99 How long? What temp? I tried to find that answer the other day, but didn't find a consensus. I settled on 133° for two hours. The eggs looked and fried as normal the next morning for breakfast (in other words, the SV didn't "cook" them). Of course, I don't know if 133/2 actually pasteurized them.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Using sous-vide for poached and soft boiled (and boiled, for that matter) egss works great.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Carolina Q poly science tool says 134.6 for 58 min
  • blind99
    Options

@Carolina q I did them at 135.  I was planning for 75 minutes, they probably went about 90.  whites were a little cloudy but they fried up just fine.  Here's the reference I used:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Pasteurized_in_Shell_Egg

to drill a bit deeper, there's a paper out this year that found 99.997% salmonella kill occurs at the following time/temps:

60 minutes, 134 degrees

100 minutes, 132 degrees

So 133 for two hours should be plenty.  Here's the reference:

Inactivation of Salmonella in Shell Eggs by Hot Water Immersion and Its Effect on Quality

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1750-3841.13233/full

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's some of the stuff I found. There are a bunch of sources that claim pasteurization in just a few minutes, using nothing more than a saucepan, a stovetop and an instant read thermo. No SV. Heat to desired temp, remove from heat, let sit for 3-5 minutes depending on who you listen to. Sure beats 2 hours!!

140° 3 min for large (jumbo, 5 min)

http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/

135° 2 hrs, then ice water bath

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2014/08/pasteurized-eggs-sousvide/#sthash.a4ZUiIen.dpbs

160-165°, 3 minutes

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-mayo-using-home-pasteurized-eggs-442153

140-150°, 3-5 min

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-pasteurize-egg-whites/

140°, 3.5 min (Table 6, p9)

http://www.aeb.org/images/Pasteurization_Manual.pdf

142° 3.5 min large (jumbo, 5 min)

http://www.kitchenproject.com/BBQ/PasteurizedEggs.htm

And then there’s the USDA…

The equipment to pasteurize shell eggs isn’t available for home use, and it is very difficult to pasteurize shell eggs at home without cooking the contents of the egg.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/5235aa20-fee1-4e5b-86f5-8d6e09f351b6/Shell_Eggs_from_Farm_to_Table.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Glad everyone's in agreement!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    Options
    @Carolina q I know what you mean. it takes a lot more thinking to cook at lower temperatures, than to just cook everything to 165 degrees!  in the end we all have to evaluate the risks for ourselves.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I just emailed Kenji and asked him how to pasteurize whole eggs. He's the Food Lab guy after all. Will report back. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    I just emailed Kenji and asked him how to pasteurize whole eggs. He's the Food Lab guy after all. Will report back. =)
    I do 125 for like an hour then into the ice bath, at 130 there will be sone color changes. I eat a lot of eggs, so while the odds are low, it's worth it to me to pasteurize. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    I do 125 for like an hour then into the ice bath, at 130 there will be sone color changes. I eat a lot of eggs, so while the odds are low, it's worth it to me to pasteurize. 
    If 140something for 3-5 minutes will do it, I wanna know! No special equipment needed, except a T-pen, and most of us have one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• J-dubya
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    If 140something for 3-5 minutes will do it, I wanna know! No special equipment needed, except a T-pen, and most of us have one.
    You are going to see major changes in texture at 140, plus I don't think it's enough to be safe. 125-130 for 30-60mins is ideal. 
  • blind99
    Options
    I read the reference about 140 for 3-5 minutes. There's no way the entire egg comes to that temp immediately. I wouldn't trust doing it that way. 
  • J-dubya
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I read the reference about 140 for 3-5 minutes. There's no way the entire egg comes to that temp immediately. I wouldn't trust doing it that way. 
    That's the traditional method (need the yolk to hit 138), but sous vide is superior - certainly in the result, but probably safety wise as well. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    As always, great response time from Kenji! At 3:48PM ET I emailed this...

Hi Kenji. Quick question for you.  I’m interested in pasteurizing my own eggs at home (after I saw your new mayo video the other day), but I’m seeing a zillion different ways to do it. Everything from 3-5 minutes in a pot of 142° water to 2 hours sous vide at 135° to the USDA saying it’s not possible at home! I did a few the other day at 133° for 2 hours. Is it possible and if so, how? Thanks!

At 6:34 PM ET, I received this...

The longer methods are safer and produce better results. 133° for 2 hours should be fine!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• J-dubya
    Options
    ^ cool, thanks for sharing! 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd have to look up some info, but my recollection is that as low as 128F will do the job, but it takes like 8 hours. The "nasties" stop growing around 122 - 123, the same temperature where meat proteins begin to break down. But then it takes many hours for them to all die off.  SV can be safe at low temps because the food can be warmed far longer than other methods w/o being over cooked.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options

Hi Kenji. Quick question for you.  I’m interested in pasteurizing my own eggs at home (after I saw your new mayo video the other day), but I’m seeing a zillion different ways to do it. Everything from 3-5 minutes in a pot of 142° water to 2 hours sous vide at 135° to the USDA saying it’s not possible at home! I did a few the other day at 133° for 2 hours. Is it possible and if so, how? Thanks!

The longer methods are safer and produce better results. 133° for 2 hours should be fine!

He actually already coverd that on his website a few years back: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:

He actually already coverd that on his website a few years back: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html
    Almost 3 years ago? Man, I don't remember last week!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I haven't found a sous vide egg recipe yet that mentions whether the sous vide time and temperature is for a room temperature egg or refrigerated egg, and only one mentioned that it was for a "Large Egg."  I don't buy large eggs, so I tried the recipe with an extra large egg and a jumbo egg, both refrigerated @ 37°, and both came out runny, with the jumbo egg being considerably more runny than the extra large.  I'm no longer interested in sous vide eggs.

Spring "Trying To Get It Right" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA