Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Thermometer Issues

Options
Some may recall I bought the older style Smokeware Thermometer with red white and blue face and it was a lemon. Rather than call the dealer I reached out to Smokeware and they sent me a new black faced model. I am probably 8 cooks in with this and so far so good..... Until this AM. Cooking a brisket for the Panther bowl. As the gauge heats up it jumps increments. I can tell the temp should be 250 by the settings if egg and coals lot but gauge says 200 them jumps to 275 in one motion. I have never done a high temp cook with it. Swap to my old Tel Tru for that. Anyone else have these issues. I like the gauges but man it appears I am 0-2 with them. :anguished: 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Still using the BGE therm. Got a Guru?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Chubs that sucks.  I'm sure they will make it right, but it couldn't happen at a worse time (good thing you've got the old gold standard still).  I've held of on getting one simply because you can't calibrate the things.  Keep us posted on your customer service experience with them, they seem like a great company. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    That's disappointing Chubs ... haven't experienced that problem.

In the old days we always tapped the gauges before taking a reading 'cuz they'd sometimes hang up, but haven't had to do that in a long time.  Was that one of the non-adjustable gauges?  Please do reach out to Smokeware on Monday ... tell us what you find out.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Chubbs if your numbers are between the hash marks and the center of the dial it is adjustable.  If they are between the outer edge and the hash marks it is non-adjustable.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @Chubbs if your numbers are between the hash marks and the center of the dial it is adjustable.  If they are between the outer edge and the hash marks it is non-adjustable.
    Yep. Non adjustable
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Yep. Non adjustable
    Bad deal on timing for an issue.  If you have time try popping it back in and seeing if it works or still has that hitch in the motion.

Mine did that when I wrapped it during a clean burn, but hasn't done it since.  (I know you have always  been low&slow)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Yep. Non adjustable
    Bad deal on timing for an issue.  If you have time try popping it back in and seeing if it works or still has that hitch in the motion.

Mine did that when I wrapped it during a clean burn, but hasn't done it since.  (I know you have always  been low&slow)
    Looking back I got this one to 550 or so for 1 pizza but it worked fine afterwards. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:
    Yep. Non adjustable

Looking back I got this one to 550 or so for 1 pizza but it worked fine afterwards. 
    550, in my experience should not have hurt it one bit.  Try it again and if it still has the hitch I would defintely call Matt.

I would be willing to send you one of my good ones in exchange for the one with a hitch.  I am curious as to why it would do it.
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    Bump. Black face non-adjustable. Mine stuck at 100 until 250. Checked w pen. Always reads about 150 degrees lower than it should. My filets turned out a little drier than anticipated! Haha 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Example 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    Example 
    I'm far from an engineer for sure.  In my experience, I would think the heat coming out he top would always be hotter than the grate and theBGE temp gauge.  right?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    4Runner said:
    kwdickert said:
    Example 
    I'm far from an engineer for sure.  In my experience, I would think the heat coming out he top would always be hotter than the grate and theBGE temp gauge.  right?
    Im no engineer and agree with @4Runner. My gauge is the black face 3 inch adjustable and i had a similar issue with the gauge remaining around 200°F then jumping around until it settles. No high heat cooks with it yet 
    Austin, Tx
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Yea I lifted the lid and put the thermometer inbetween and reclosed. Still wasn't right. Point is, the thermometer sticks at certain temps and takes a seriously hard few taps to get it to fall loose and come back to proper reading. I hope the replacement won't stick 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Check to see if the probe on your thermo is bent.  I had one I bent.  It skipped when tapped.  After bending straight it worked fine.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agree on reaching out to Smokeware on Monday. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kwdickert
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    This probe was brand new in spring and hasn't been bent or anything. Maybe it seized up from sitting outside. I did another cook w brats at 375 and it seemed to do OK but still had to tap it every so often to get it un-stick and show the right reading. Almost as if the internal components needed some oil or something IDK. Sent out an email to smokeware on friday. Will wait and hear back. 
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Just an update, they're getting a replacement in the mail to me TODAY! Awesome.
  • kwdickert
    Options
    The therm replacement arrived two days later and as I installed it, I noticed how bad off the old one was. The new one sat in a box on my front porch while  I was at work. It was 94F outside Wednesday. It read just under 100. The old one was sitting at the bottom of the available range! Thanks to Smokeware for being awesome.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not trying to be a troll here by no means, but I have to ask, why are yall replacing the BGE trel tru thermo with one that is non adjustable? (And despite the customer service, seems to be an inferior thermo?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kwdickert
    Options
    @Jeremiah
    I have a 10yr old egg that was a hand-me-down and the therm was busted. I needed one. Started to replace it with the OEM but saw the bigger dial with Black face and white writing for a nice contrast that's viewable from afar. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They are ALL "viewable from afar". Just get rid of the worthless clip inside and turn it so the target temp is at 12 o'clock. From "afar" you can tell if you're on target or not.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kwdickert
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Carolina Q

The shorter answer is "I wanted it."
    This is America. I buy what I want. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    @Carolina Q

The shorter answer is "I wanted it."
    This is America. I buy what I want. 
    umm, okay.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    touchy touchy.....just trying to have a friendly conversation here.   :)

I do use my clip.  Not sure why...other than it is there.  I calibrate my dome thermo regularly so the SW no cal would be out for me.  I do like the look of it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • kwdickert
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like the colors a lot. The contrast makes it easy to see from inside the house. I also use the needle up to desired temp method. The larger size is a plus. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Not trying to be a troll here by no means, but I have to ask, why are yall replacing the BGE trel tru thermo with one that is non adjustable? (And despite the customer service, seems to be an inferior thermo?

The only benefit I could see is overall size and cost. The same size Tel-Tru would be around double. But, Tel-Tru thermometers are in class by themselves. They've been around a very long time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

The only benefit I could see is overall size and cost. The same size Tel-Tru would be around double. But, Tel-Tru thermometers are in class by themselves. They've been around a very long time. 
    Honestly I'd love to have the big tel tru, but mine are working fine. As the othe guy said, you buy what you want. Lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.