Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All this talk about pizza has me anxious to try my hand at it. I like the idea of using my bread machine to make the dough. Would it work to use Spin's posted NY style dough ingredients directly to the bread machine? Of course I would add liquids on the bottom, then the dry ingredients and then the yeast on top.[p]GFW, if the above is not a good idea, what was your process for the bread machine dough?[p]HNY
Carl T

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Carl T, I must confess - my bread making talents come in a package - so did the pizza dough - someday I'll try the real thing - unfortunately, some of us (especially me) can only handle one thing at a time.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Carl T,
    We use a boxed mix that we find infrequently, so we stock up when we can! It is put out by Eagle Mills and is called just that, Pizza Crust Mix for bread machines. It is better than pizza shop dough![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    fbread1.jpg
    <p />Carl T,[p]I don't use a bread machine but it should work. Dough is pretty simple stuff so the prepachaged stuff should have the same ingrediants as Spin's recipe. Sometimes I leave out the cornmeal but I always use some on the stone to aid removal. I use a mixer on a stand type with dough hooks. Actually making the dough is fun and I enjoy it. [p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    I use a stand mixer,too.So far so good...really good!I've found that putting extra corn meal on the peal really gets that pizza sliding when ,and where you want it to.Usually don't build them up till just before I'm going to install.Alot less chance of sticking that way.For sauce I'm using Classico Tomato and Basil.Then shredded mozzarella,pre-cooked italian sausage,pre-cooked mushrooms,chunk pineapple...cut in half,and black olives...also cut in half.Happy New Year!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Dr Chicken, would you believe - we use the same kind - we find it at Schnoks (sp?) - good stuff! [p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Gfw,
    We tried a lot of different mixes, but it is the one we consistently stay with! I haven't tried Spin's yet, but we are planning a Pizza-Free-For-All and to be different, we thought we'd give Spin's recipe a try! We may even have to convert![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: On the pizza mix, not on the sweet potatoes! :-)))

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rob Rhodes,[p]Sounds like we are twins! I also have been using the Classico Tomato and Basil as my sauce!! I have found that if I add about 2-4 tablespoons of sugar to the jar it makes a sauce that the family likes even better. Personal choice for sure. [p]Could not agree more on not making the pie until you are ready to slide it on the stone. I roll out my dough and let it sit for 5 min or more and then flip it and let it sit 5 more before any sauce goes on. This seems to let it rise a little and it's not as tacky on the bottom so it slides better. The larger pies that I do are more prone to sticking because I make them 12" or so in diameter. The smaller ones are easier to work with. Good luck - enjoy.[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Carl T,[p]I'm not sure on the bread machine as I have never used one. You can mix the dough in a food processor. it is much faster than a dough hook. Start with cooler water. The dough is ready when it balls up. It will be sticky, a little flour kneaded in will smooth it out nicely.[p]Spin

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks Spin and everyone. I'll post a pic of my first attempt, good or bad.[p]HNY
    Carl T

• Tim M,
    I'm going to try adding the surgar,and also your method of letting the the dough rise again after rolling it out.Two great ideas.Happy New Year,Rob