Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Made Hot Sauce

Options
My mom gave me a mess of jalapenos the other day and they are too small to make ABTs with.  Thought I might try and make my own hot sauce with them.  Smoke/roast them on the egg and then into the food processor with some other things.  Anyone ever made their own hot sauce before?  Any good recipes/methods you would like to share?
Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's not sauce, but you can halve them, smoke them, dehydrate them and pulverize them into a powder.  Then it can be used for many, many different things.  "a mess" of them will wind up making a little powder though.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I had an excess of jalapenos a couple years ago.  I just sliced the peppers raw, in half, and let them soak in white vinegar in the frig for a couple weeks and then strained.
    It wasn't very good.  I'll be watching this thread to find a better technique, too; thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Generally, seeds and the placenta are removed from the flesh as they are way hot.
    Wear gloves. Don't touch eyes, lips, etc. Have lots of ventilation.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    A friend of mine from church is into all kinds of cool DIY stuff, and he does a lot of what he calls "lacto-fermentation," of which the most well-known example is sauerkraut:  You just slice up some cabbage, mix in some NON-iodized salt (he uses pickling salt, I think), cover it up in a way that keeps air from getting in, and it ferments and gets sour, and also develops lots of other complex flavors that just wouldn't be there if it hadn't fermented.

Most hot sauce (like Texas Pete, I'm quite sure) is made just by grinding up some chiles and adding vinegar, salt, garlic, maybe some spices.  But the ones I like the best, notably Crystal from Louisiana, and even Tabasco, are made by "aging" the chiles in barrels for a while, and it's the same idea, they're fermenting, and getting not only sour but also lots of other wonderful flavors.

It might be worth a try!  I just Googled "fermented hot sauce" (without the quotes) and got tons of hits.  Here's a link to a post I made about my friend's fermenting hot sauce.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Many of the hot sauces out there with the most heat and complexity of flavor start with a lacto-fermentation step.  You make lactic acid through fermentation. 

This sounds fancy and difficult, but it's a simple process.  Tabasco sauce is made the same way.  Kim chi and half sour pickles use the same process.  It's a very old technique.

http://www.mountainfeed.com/blogs/learn/39471745-fermented-jalapeno-peppers-the-most-delicious-pickled-peppers

Options
    Here's one I have used-

Jalapeno Hot Sauce

6 tablespoons canola oil
    1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
    10 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
    2 cups rice vinegar
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 ½ tablespoons honey
    ¼ cup cilantro leaves

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and jalapeno and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the vinegar and water and bring to a simmer; cover the pot and let cook for 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender, add the remaining oil, salt, honey and cilantro and blend until very smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a container with a lid and refrigerate after using.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is a nice pickle snack for burgers etc:
    Pickles, Dill, Sweet, Spicy, Dubs

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Gal  sour pickles (Dill)
    6 cups sugar I like turbindo or less
    1 Head Garlic-separated & peeled
    1 Jar Cinnamon sticks
    1 Whole Jalapeño, sliced per jar and perhaps some crushed red pepper per jar if you like heat.

PROCEDURE:

1. Mix sugar, cinnamon, garlic & 3/4 cup of the sour pickle juice. Save the remaining pickle juice.

2. Cut drained pickles into rounds & combine with sugar mixture.

3. Toss gently and occasionally, throughout the day, until sugar is completely dissolved.

4. These may be water bathed and sealed for future use or gifts.

Recipe Type: Condiment

Tips
    If you use the original container, add the cinnamon and garlic. If you divide the mixture, make sure you add at least 1 cinnamon stick and clove of garlic per pint.

Source
    Source: John Simms, 2015/06/25

Another option:
    Pickles, Jalapenos, Sweet, Cucumber, Vidalia1

Richard, Here is a recipe we use to make Sweet Cucumber Chips...I just substituted the jalapenos for cucumbers.

INGREDIENTS:
    Brine:
    7 Lbs Jalapenos or pickling cucumbers
    2 cups Pickling lime
    2 Gallons Water
    Pickling Mixture:
    5 Lbs Sugar
    7 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 Cup Water
    1 Small Box Whole Pickling Spices, tied into a bagel
    4 Sticks Cinnamon
    2 Tsp Salt

Procedure:

1. Mix lime and water thoroughly then pour over jalapenos...soak for 24 hrs...then drain & wash off lime...cover with fresh water and rinse...change the water every hour for 3 hours...then drain

2. In a seperate container mix pickling mixture, bring to a boil and pour over jalapenos and let stand overnight. Then cook for 35 minutes at a soft boil. Wash the jars and put pickled jalapenos in jars & seal. Seal jars & turn jars upside down to set seal. Let sit for 24 hours. Then eat & enjoy.

Recipe Type: Condiment

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Vidalia1, 2009/07/13

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2016
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Generally, seeds and the placenta are removed from the flesh as they are way hot.
    Wear gloves. Don't touch eyes, lips, etc. Have lots of ventilation.

Definitely no diddling after exposing hands.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    lots of recipes for pique (puerto rico hot sauce) find a recipe with pineapple rinds.   mrs wages bread and butter pickled jalapenos are great on burgers or just for snacking, its like candy. if your near a place with canning supplies they will have the packets, its a refrigerator pickle, no pressure cooker needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Last year I made a nice sauce where I roasted jalepenos, tomatoes, and banana peppers to make a sauce.  Turned out really well.  I didn't go by a recipe, just dump and into the food processor.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site