Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @lit what is the seasoning plan? 

Forum search. It's been posted here multiple times I just don't remember what people said. I need to search for the mods also. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lit said:
    kl8ton said:
    @lit what is the seasoning plan? 

Forum search. It's been posted here multiple times I just don't remember what people said. I need to search for the mods also. 
    Too much has been made of this.  Use high temp oil and go high temp.  Clean.  Cook 2 lbs bacon and forget about it.  #savetheonions.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Dealing with information overload while easing into Low Earth Orbit (LEO).  I plan to acquire a small stick burner.  A few gracious forum members have provided their observations and insights.  As you can imagine, the more you seek, the more info you find.  I have created a small matrix of important parameters, at least those which help to bound the deal.  Problem is, the deeper you get into the research the more you realize "it is gonna be a done deal...just a question of when."  There will not be any SWMBO veto, at least for the purchase-I'm sure I will pay down-stream as my "need arguments" are well below weak.  ;)
    Do I need this acquisition, no way but I remind myself that "life is not based on need alone."  And I have learned quite a bit about smokers in the past couple of weeks.
    BTW and for the record, my obit is current should this project really go south.  
    Have a great Friday eve.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @DoubleEgger Is it dry under that plastic?  I've gotten purification on the bottom because the centimeter gap between the grate and pan didn't have enough air flow.  The outside drying is important because that creates a protective shell where bacteria could otherwise flourish. 
    Options
    We just got back from dinner with @foghorn and his lovely wife and son.  Great folks (and he paid for dinner!).  Vine and Dine a few block from our house by the ferry landing.

http://www.vine-dine.com/were_all_about_wine__food.html

Options
    @DoubleEgger Is it dry under that plastic?  I've gotten purification on the bottom because the centimeter gap between the grate and pan didn't have enough air flow.  The outside drying is important because that creates a protective shell where bacteria could otherwise flourish. 
    It's rock hard and super dry. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It's rock hard and super dry. 
    TWSS
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @DoubleEgger - TWSS  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2016
    Options

8 racks of beef ribs, 4 8lb pork shoulders, and 8 lbs of pork belly bacon. 

Now for one more drink and a quick nap. Gonna be a looooong day tomorrow. 

Edit. Ignore the comical amount of mustard. I'm just glad my wife was finally willing to assist. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit - What rig(s) are you using for the cook?
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit - What rig(s) are you using for the cook?

A good friend and cooking buddy is moving to TX and passed this along to me today. Did a dry run today to clean out any funk in it and get an idea of temp hold on my own. 

Im going to knock out the bacon first thing in the morning on my large BGE as well as the 4 shoulders on the new rig. 

When the bacon is done I'm going to put the beef ribs on. (Probably 10-1030) and knock them out on the Egg. 

Beef ribs are for dinner Friday but they are for a fun cook. We are eating the pork shoulders Saturday. 

After we eat Friday in fine just camping out and checking out how this new set up runs

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    "Comical Amount of Mustard" WBAGNFARB!   B)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Just finished sons of anarchy and the night manager.

Started Vikings 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Just finished sons of anarchy and the night manager.

Started Vikings 
    SoA was an awesome show!  Even finished strong.  True to the characters.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Sitting in my own bed with the dogs for the first time in at least a week..

just got home from work, bosses son was selling these....needless to say he got all my spare cash

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @YukonRon so sorry for what y'all are going through. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @YukonRon dealing with aging parents is a tough part of adulthood. Positive vibes for you guys. 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    @YukonRon, sorry to here about your MIL. Prayers sent.
    Dealing with a situation myself. My Dad had a stroke on Wednesday afternoon while working in the garden. Mom was at my sisters all day babysitting. Don't know how long he was lying in the garden. He has mobility which is good, but his speech isn't at the moment. Lots of therapy ahead.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Thanks to you for the good wishes for our family, specifically for my MIL.
    While we remain hopeful for her progress to get back, we are also mindful that she is battling the same issue that took the champ, Ali, Jim Henson, and many others.
    MIL is still battling dementia as is typical, we are told. A stroke added to the list of problems yesterday, and surgery for other issues is planned, but, unless other problems are resolved, she may not even get to the table. A living will has been put in play.
    She is struggling, yet so is My Beautiful Wife. I finally got her to bed and to sleep. It is heartbreaking to see her so distraught. I hope she sleeps sound and deep for many, much needed, hours.
    Thank you very much for the support, MIL is in one of the finest medical facilities in the region, getting care from the best medical staffs in the country. Even so, there is only so much that can be done. She is a tough and stubborn, irish lass out of Chicago, so, do not bet against her. As for my wife, let us just say, the apple that fell from that tree, never rolled too far from the very shade cast by those branches. She is a tough one too. We will get through this, together.
    Thanks again for your support. Have I ever told you all how much you folks Rock?
    Harder, more legendary and longer, than the Stones, by far.
    So sorry Ron.  Treat the wife well as this is a tough road.  Thoughts and prayers be with you and yours my friend.  

This forum does rock.  It helped me through some hard times too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @YukonRon,  we're with you brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Eating bad BBQ at a united way kickoff campaign. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Thanks to you for the good wishes for our family, specifically for my MIL.
    While we remain hopeful for her progress to get back, we are also mindful that she is battling the same issue that took the champ, Ali, Jim Henson, and many others.
    MIL is still battling dementia as is typical, we are told. A stroke added to the list of problems yesterday, and surgery for other issues is planned, but, unless other problems are resolved, she may not even get to the table. A living will has been put in play.
    She is struggling, yet so is My Beautiful Wife. I finally got her to bed and to sleep. It is heartbreaking to see her so distraught. I hope she sleeps sound and deep for many, much needed, hours.
    Thank you very much for the support, MIL is in one of the finest medical facilities in the region, getting care from the best medical staffs in the country. Even so, there is only so much that can be done. She is a tough and stubborn, irish lass out of Chicago, so, do not bet against her. As for my wife, let us just say, the apple that fell from that tree, never rolled too far from the very shade cast by those branches. She is a tough one too. We will get through this, together.
    Thanks again for your support. Have I ever told you all how much you folks Rock?
    Harder, more legendary and longer, than the Stones, by far.
    So sorry Ron.  Treat the wife well as this is a tough road.  Thoughts and prayers be with you and yours my friend.  

This forum does rock.  It helped me through some hard times too.  
    Ron....stress is rough on us all. Make sure the two of you are getting some exercise and eating right.....all helpful.....but certainly does not eliminate the hard times. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    So sad to hear, but miracles do happen. Think positively and do the best you can to help everyone. Been there, done that on more occasions than I wan to think about right now. She is in the doctor's hands, but your wife is in yours. Tend to her. The doctors are tending to her mother. I know it's hard not to worry, but ultimately, you aren't in control. The doctors and God are. Try to just trust.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @yukonron @pescadorzih So sorry to hear... Best wishes to both of you and your families.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @YukonRon, sorry to here about your MIL. Prayers sent.
    Dealing with a situation myself. My Dad had a stroke on Wednesday afternoon while working in the garden. Mom was at my sisters all day babysitting. Don't know how long he was lying in the garden. He has mobility which is good, but his speech isn't at the moment. Lots of therapy ahead.
    All the best to you and your family.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    DMW said:
    @YukonRon - Hang in there, prayers sent your way.

Here's something that hopefully will brighten your day.
    @dmw
    @dmw I know nothing about that kind of rig, but the perfectly even tan across that piggy suggests it runs a really even temp.  nice work, it looks incredible!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    We just got back from dinner with @foghorn and his lovely wife and son.  Great folks (and he paid for dinner!).  Vine and Dine a few block from our house by the ferry landing.

http://www.vine-dine.com/were_all_about_wine__food.html

it was indeed a great place for dinner and of course having @nolaegghead and @fleurdeLirious as dinner companions made it a great evening. 

It was also good to confirm that Nola's back was back in business after our boating journey from last weekend. 

Pics attached. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX