Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthy Egging...

SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this is a hard one.... and probably been beaten around on the forum for months, maybe years, but I need some ideas for healthy food to cook on the egg. All I'm really good at or know how to prepare is beef, pork etc.... I need to get in better shape per the Doctor's orders and don't want to ween myself off the egg just yet![p] I know chicken is healthy, but a guy can only eat so much chicken! [p]Can someone direct me to a healthy grilling site, or share a few recipes? My triglycerides, blood sugar and blood pressure would appreciate it!
Thanks!

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    SuperDave,[p]chicken's not all you can eat. You can make turkey and lots of fish like salmon and tillapia. I am in the same boat and found that drinking lots of water, exercising and not eating after 7pm are the biggest things that will help you lose weight or be healthier.[p]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    SuperDave,[p]If you can find some bison, try that. It is so low in fat and cholesterol that it often beats chicken. There is less fat in grass finished bison, than grain finished, and from what little I've experienced, the western herds are more grass fed than the eastern. Because of the low fat, and sometimes the thick cartilage of these grazing animals, it can be somewhat difficult to cook. I've had pretty good success with marinated and low and very slow roasts and ribs. The steaks are usually pretty tender.[p]The price is higher than most beef, in part because it is not widely available, and mail-order shipping can cost as much as the meat. However, it is nutritious enough that eating about half as much as beef gives the same food value.[p]And, the hard part, stop eating before feeling full.[p]gdenby
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Dos Huevos,
    I agree with the water and exercising (along with portion size and type of food) but the "after 7" (or late night eating) and its effect on weight gain has been reported as a myth - a calorie is a calorie regardless of the time day.[p]But for me it is easier to sleep without a full gut.

• SuperDave,
    There are some greaty recipes for grilled eggplant, zuchini, squash and other veggies that are great. Portabella Muchrooms are also fantastic. I haven't done much fish except salmon on cedar planks.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    SuperDave,
    Amen to the "turkey and fish" below. In particular, turkey is available in interesting, manageable-size, cuts: ground turkey, cutlets, thighs, etc.[p]Ken

• SuperDave,[p]I did whole wheat bread last week and it turned out great. [p]I have also used the egg to prep roasted red peppers and grilled onions for later use on pizza... with a whole wheat crust and the veggies it's pretty healthy... make the crust yourself.[p]I also use "Tofurkey" Italian Sausage flavor, crumbled, for a "look and feel" of meat topping. It's available at most publix and comes 4 "links" to a bag (like hotdogs). It's high in fiber, and is made with tofu, and is an OUTSTANDING meat substitute. Tofu is heart healthy, but you knew that. ;-)[p]I have not done stir-fry yet (since I just got my egg), but I have that on my list of "things to try".[p]As a side note... Oatmeal is very heart healthy... try looking for "steel cut" oats (also referred to as groats)... MUCH more tasty that that "Quaker" dudes oatmeal. [p]Cheers[p]
  • SuperDave,[p]Let me throw my two cents in here...[p]Two words to live by: portion control. This is the crux of the weight issue in this country, in my humbled (albeit learned) opinion. The fact that we can go down the road and pick up a "monster burger" darn near anytime of the day or night speaks volumes.[p]Try to change the balance of fruits/veggies and meats so that more of your diet comes from the former than the latter. Remember that a "serving" of meat should roughly be the size of a deck of cards. Hardly what I would consider a tasty-sized steak.[p]Don't get hung up so much on the type of food you eat (chicken vs fish vs turkey vs beef, etc), as much as how much. Most things you would egg will be okay for you if you don't eat huge amounts- often times they will be better for you (not to mention better tasting) than when they were cooked on the stovetop. Obviously, ground meats, sausages, bacon- these will be more fat (and therefore more calorie) dense than your pork tenderloin, sirloin steak, or fish fillet.[p]And one final word- while a calorie is a calorie the world around, time of day absolutely makes a difference. You will have the most luck losing weight and staying healthy if you small meals more often (IOW- don't skip breakfast and lunch, then have a big supper). While the total calorie intake might be the same (even less!), eating regularly leads to a higher basal metabolic rate than starving/binging. And eating right before going to bed will also lead to more calories being stored as fat, as metabolism slows during sleep (think hibernation).[p]Like telling someone to quit smoking, it's all a little easier said than done, but it can be done. The egg should not be a casualty, but an ally, I would think.[p]Might have to lay off the ABTs though... ;)[p]JB
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    100_0808.jpg
    <p />SuperDave,
    squash casserole is a favorite and doesnt need a recipe, summersquash, zuchinni, stewed tomatoes,garlic and an onion. add a little cheese if you want, some basil and oregano. the salad dressing was olive oil,lemon juice, crushed garlic and a little chopped mint, makes a great tasing dressing for simple salads. this is the time of year to eat veggies as they are fresh.
    100_0809.jpg
    the pork loin fillet must be a gimmick, looks small like a tenderloin, but looks to be a full loin quartered with a higher price tag. stay away from the potatoes though, especially the lard coated salted ones

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    SuperDave,
    don't kid yourself[p]chicken ain't so healthy what with risks of salmonella, etc. fish is also risky in quantity, thanks to the mercury (or red tide up here in NE w/r/t shellfish, etc.)[p]wine in abundance can kill you, yet a glass (or three!?!) a day can have beneficial effects.[p]all things in moderation![p]for exampl; if we have a pair of large steaks, we'll often lay them on a bed of greens (some EVOO, salt, pepper, no dressing)), and at most do MAYBE a small side dish, or appetizer. often tho, just the steak and salad[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    SuperDave,[p]This is a topic close to my heart! I have lost 55 lbs on Weight Watchers and have owned my Egg throughout the entire process.[p]Another poster had it right, it's truly not so much what you eat, but how much. That's not to say you should go ahead and eat Pulled Pork three times a week, but you can have it, just be smart.[p]That being said, my staples on the Egg are:[p]Chicken Breasts: Boneless/Skinless but use top quality seasoning. The Dizzy Pig line is great, but my favorite for these is Walkerswood Jerk seasoning. Fabulous and you'd never know you were eating something low fat. You can have a real nice sized portion of this stuff and be ok.[p]Fish: Tilapia, Sole, Halibut, Salmon, all great on the egg. Use Tsunami Spin or your favorite spice. Put them on some foil and place that directly on the plate setter leggs down.[p]Steak: A 4-6 Oz. Filet is a good portion with a huge salad, some Grilled Eggplant (just brush with a little EVOO before grilling) or corn on the cob. We also eat lots' of brown rice (low calorie/high fibre and tastes great with some lemon and a smidge of butter). Other good Steak choices are a Strip or Shell, Flank if it's lean, and Sirloin. Stay away from Ribeyes...they're the devil.[p]Pork: Tenderloin is one of my favorite things on the Egg. Ton's of great recipes. Do Ribs once or twice a month to keep yourself feeling good. I do and I've lost all that weight. Pulled Pork = same thing. Do it, but not too often.[p]Veggies: I have a grill wok (square basket with holes) and I use this to make a Zucchini/squash/onion/mushroom type dish with just salt/pepper/and some fancy seasioning of your choice. Make a huge batch and use it all week. [p]Always use EVOO for your fat...it's so good for you it's crazy. Drink tons of water when you think your hungry. Often you're just thirsty and your body will give you a craving when that happens. Try to limit eating after dinner. Sleep well and excercise.[p]I'm sure this is way more than you wanted, but as I said, it's where I am and I live it.[p]Good Luck!
  • CT Grillguy,
    Congratulations, it sounds like you have a wise and healthy handle on your diet, thanks for your input, a lot of us could sure put your program to good use.

• SuperDave
    CT Grillguy,[p]Thanks for the confidence building suggestions! I have a long way to go so I guarantee I'm here for my kids future![p]I'll give it a shot, sounds like a good plan.[p]David

• SuperDave
    Thanks for all the input guys! Great advice... I'll start over with a fresh idea and a Happy Egg![p]Cheers

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    StuffedPoblanos.jpg
    <p />SuperDave,[p]Here's something healthy we threw together a few days ago.[p]~ 5 healthy poblanos cored and seeded
    ~ fresh corn cut from 3 ears
    ~ 16 oz. black beans rinsed
    ~ 4 cloves garlic chopped
    ~ 1 small onion chopped
    ~ about 1 cup leftover pulled pork chopped
    ~ 1 TBS Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub[p]Saute garlic and onions in olive oil. When onion and garlic are translucent add to corn, beans, pork and mix. Stuff the peppers with the mix and cook direct on a raised grid around 325 - 350 dome for about 35 - 45 minutes or until the skin gets charred and wrinkley..... eat hot, good stuff![p]StuffedPoblanos1-1.jpg[p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    OysterMushrooms-1.jpg
    <p />A WooKitties favorite cooked just last night....[p]Brush the gill side with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite rub.... in this case it's Tsunami Spin.
    Grill at 425 - 450 gill side down and check after a few minutes... you're looking for a golden brown color with slightly charred edges.... flip and grill the other side for a few more minutes.
    When they are good and brown, pull off and scarf before they cool.[p]OysterMushrooms2.jpg[p]This plus a beer was dinner last night.... will make a vegetarian out of you.[p]
    OysterMushrooms3.jpg[p]john

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    WooDoggies,[p]<h1>Woo Who ???? </h1>
  • I agree wholeheartedly with "everything in moderation>"

You really can eat in a healthy manner if you try.

1. Mix it up. If you must have animal protein, then have fish, chicken, lamb, turkey, or wild game - not just meat from every egg adventure. (plus, you won't get bored).

2. Bulk up on the fruits and vegetables. They are good for you, and every bite of salad is a bite of cake you won't have room for....

3. Get exercise. My grandparents worked like field hands all day long, and ate a ton of what's are now considered "bad" foods. They all lived to healthy old ages. Like your diet - mix it up. Do some cardio, life weights, and stretch. Exercise is key!

4. To lose weight and drop the cholesterol, lay off the sweets. You'll miss them, but you'll love the results after a while.

That's my best advice from someone who has to work to control my weight. I work a desk job, and love to eat. But I eat a lot of healthy stuff, exercise 5 days a week, and that keeps me at 6' 2" / 215 lbs. It's not rocket science, but common sense works. Good luck! DIckson
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    WooDoggies,[p]They look awesome!! I will have to give the recipe a try very soon. [p]We missed you this weekend. [p]Chuck

• Cooking regularly on the Egg will go a long way to better health. It's essentially the same as baking your food, except it tastes better. I find that I fry much less these days now that I've got my BGE.[p]The real key are the side dishes. I'm not advocating a low carb diet per se, but just watch out for the things with sugar and refined flours. Deserts are obvious. But cutting back on the rices, pastas, and potatoes will go a long way too. There are some nice "faux mashed potato" recipes that use cauliflower. A lot of folks can't tell the difference. I've also got a personal rule of having at least one green vegetable per day.[p]Hope that helps.
  • SuperDave,
    feed the kids that too. It makes me sick to see the way my brother and his wife feed my niece ( they say she wont eat anything else ... yea right when she gets hungry she will)

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    SuperDave,[p]I have to agree with the posts below. Increase the amount of veggies on the side. Make the meat portion of your meal smaller. Don't give up egging! Move toward toward grilled veggies, (some awesome sweet corn is coming into season now), turkey, leaner cuts of red meats (buffalo, elk, etc.), and fish. I have added more salmon and tilapia to my diet. Don't add as many toppings and sauces to your food. They can add a lot of fat and calories.[p]Also, take a walk a few times a week. Helps a lot.[p]Been there, done that, with the triglycerides.[p]Arvadaman