Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tis The Season To Roast Chile Peppers

Comments

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    made some red chile and pork tonight for dinner was delicious

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Regarding different climates (Hatch vs Colorado vs etc...)
    The climate in different years make a big difference, too (just like wines).  My first year in Albuquerque (1988) was my intro to chiles, and even the locals were sweating and coughing, the chiles were HOT that year (very little rainfall, so the pepper plants increase the capsaisin in their fruits to resist munching by the local fauna). The local food writers noted the differences each year, was cool to track, and taste, it all.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    Regarding different climates (Hatch vs Colorado vs etc...)
    The climate in different years make a big difference, too (just like wines).  My first year in Albuquerque (1988) was my intro to chiles, and even the locals were sweating and coughing, the chiles were HOT that year (very little rainfall, so the pepper plants increase the capsaisin in their fruits to resist munching by the local fauna). The local food writers noted the differences each year, was cool to track, and taste, it all.  
    Yep.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroir

2 1/2 bushels roasted. 2 1/2 bushels left to go :smiley:
    https://youtu.be/Rypr_two29Y
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    The ole adage the nose knows.... And after roasting these for several years I can tell you about half of these have some good heat to them. They must have had a little bit of drought. :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Down to one bushel to roast. We're going to have a familia green chile peeling party in a bit. Gonna save the largest for Rellenos and others to roughly chop. We'll portion and flash freeze...well as much as a reach in freezer w/ flash freeze can accomplish. Pics to follow much later. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Husker, I'd be curious to hear how long the 5 bushels took you overall; did you have access to a chile roaster?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2016
    @Botch I'll give a total completion time...when I'm finished. Still roasting. Wife & Son are inside peeling and freezer bag portioning. 5 bushels on a LBGE is getting my hustle on. 
    Only stopped during heavy downpours. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You are one peppered sum **** Blake ;). I know your having fun brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2016
    12 hrs roasting
    2.5 hrs peeling, chopping and freezer bag portioning. All of this was done as a family. It's a must IMHO. 
    I'll post more Pics tomorrow. We're gonna eat brownies now!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    12 hrs roasting
    2.5 hrs peeling, chopping and freezer bag portioning. All of this was done as a family. It's a must IMHO. 
    Just "brownies"? ;)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    bgebrent said:
    12 hrs roasting
    Just "brownies"? ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae4PGTk9LhU
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:
    12 hrs roasting
    Just "brownies"? ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae4PGTk9LhU
    Hilarious brother!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    12 hrs roasting
    NM Chiles and Colorado brownies!  Darn fine combination there Blake
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited August 2016

Yesterday was roasting day, I now have a bushel roasted, peeled and packed away in the freezer. A bushel turned out to be about 9 loads on the large egg.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Local market here had Hatch chile for $.68 per pound, that was an amazing price and they're great chile.  Picked up two full paper grocery sacks and roasted them off last weekend.  I used to order the 25lb. box from Barringer Farms in Hatch, but was 2.50 to 3 buck a pound +shipping.

I pack them in 1 cup packages to just throw in a pot of beans frozen or other stews.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    The upper shelf pictured is this year's roasted green chile. Most of the portioned packages seen are chopped 2C in quart sized freezer bags and a few are whole chiles set aside for rellenos. The bottom shelf is what we had left of last year's roasted Hatch. We have some being shipped from Hatch this week. It may seem like a lot but, this is a staple in our household. Many swear by packaging with the peel on. We prefer to get that out of the way and portion in meal sizes so all we have to do is defrost and prep the rest of the meal. Not to mention it takes up less valuable real estate in the freezer. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    The upper shelf pictured is this year's roasted green chile. Most of the portioned packages seen are chopped 2C in quart sized freezer bags and a few are whole chiles set aside for rellenos. The bottom shelf is what we had left of last year's roasted Hatch. We have some being shipped from Hatch this week. It may seem like a lot but, this is a staple in our household. Many swear by packaging with the peel on. We prefer to get that out of the way and portion in meal sizes so all we have to do is defrost and prep the rest of the meal. Not to mention it takes up less valuable real estate in the freezer. 

Nice Blake!  When I grow up I want a dedicated chili freezer!
  • NPHuskerFL
    @bgebrent :giggle: I didn't get a full shot of our stand-alone freezer. I assure you it's not all green chili. But, I'll admit we are a little OCD so it's very organized. The green chili will be moved to the bottom today. It's just easier to use the flash freeze function on that shelf because it keeps them 100% flat.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    @NPHuskerFL you need to make an investment in a small roaster. I stumbled into roasted chiles about a decade ago and they have since become an obsession. We grow them here at home in Utah and what started out as a small hobby garden has turned into a harvest of 1800-2300 chiles a season. Enough to fill a full size freezer and just enough to give friends and survive until spring. Anyway, we used to roast them on the grill and last season I roasted a few on the egg but nothing compares to a little dedicated roaster. This is a small table to unit and will comfortably roast around 50 Big Jims in about a minute and a half. As an added bonus you get to keep all the hair and skin on your knuckles! We harvest around 200 peppers a week and they are roasted and vac packed in less than a hour leaving the skins on. Doing them on hot coals I thought would impart some flavor but i could not tell the difference in taste. All I know is that it is much less work. Like the egg it is one of the best investments I have made.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Satch_Q100% Concur. Fire roasting on the egg with some wood does give some nice flavor. But, the time invested to do it is crazy when you're talking about 5-8 bushels. I may have to look around for a secondhand (small) roaster or maybe even make one. Nice sized chiles you have there. They look nice & meaty and some appear to be Big Jim in size. I had quite a few that were Big Jim sized this year. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Satch_Q
    They are Big Jims, it's the only big chile we grow. Once you use a roaster you won't believe the difference in time. What used to take the wife and I darn near an entire weekend I can now accomplish on my own in an hour or two. I was at first depressed when I found that the little unit I had could only do 60 or so at a time. That is until I used it. I found that about 40 is optimum and they are done in about a minute and a half. I will roast about three to four batches and let them sweat and cool in paper bags for about 10 min. Then I pack them by a dozen per vacuum bag. Then I roast the rest and finish. I will never go back to doing it on the grill unless it's just a few. And by all means leave the skin on. It's much easier peel them after they have been frozen. It just peels right off.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Satch_Q   I've been looking at the roasters since I started following this thread.  I can't find the one you have pictured.  Would you mind sharing the Mfr?

I had sort of resigned myself to making one, but making one of something is often more trouble than it's worth by the time things are planned and materials sourced.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    @NPHuskerFL Blake you have been a very busy man....very nicely done there my friend. Beautiful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2016
    @Satch_Q Looking for a used chile roaster on CL in FL is like looking for a fresh fish stand in the Midwest :lol:
    But never fret. We have found one we like at a fair price.  And lo and behold my wife and my 18th anniversary is coming up and this is our gift to ourselves. It's a tabletop hand turn roaster. Comes shipped w/ 4or5 LP burners & regulator and we'll be adding a table/stand. We like the fact we can roast other things in it as well. We feel it'll be well worth the $
    https://youtu.be/fV7esg6p0Zg

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Satch_Q
    @blasting and @NPHuskerFL I found mine new at http://www.arizonachileroasters.com. I have no affiliation with them other than purchasing a roaster a few years back. So far so good. I have put 4000-5000 chiles through it and it works like a champ. Mine is just a three burner tabletop model and it's really all I need. Anything bigger would service a commercial operation. You can find manufacturers all over the southwest but beware most roasters are made to order as they are a specialty item. You may not be able to get one in time for this season. That being said, I had mine within two weeks.
  • miniscus
    miniscus Posts: 27
    Oh they are good. Just roasted a bunch last week on BGE. Wish I could produce and patent that smell when they are roasting.
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    @Carolina Q first and foremost find a spicy Latina  =)
    Just some of the things I personally use them for. Chile Rellenos, Nachos, Huevos Rancheros, Smothered Burritos both white sauced and traditional, burgers for topping and stuffed, chicken topping and for stuffing on a Ballotine or breast fillet, enchiladas, jam, fish (assorted), etc...even just to snack on :plus_one:
    If you are a novice then perhaps maybe you might not know. Eat a few and compare them and you'll notice slight differences in the overall flavor profile. 

Any chance at a recipe for green chile sauce or stew? Something to smother a burger or enchilada with?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I might try this , local store has .99 lb  going on. Awesome pics and job. Right now I rely on the trader joes hatch valley salsa wich I think is pretty good.
    Seattle, WA