Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 1000 flood victims

Options
1235»

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    One last bump just because.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Tyson foods showed up today with capabilities to serve 10,000 meals per lunch and dinner. They have it handled from here forward. I'm going home in the morning.

Best compliment yet was from the guy in charge of food for Salvation Army. "I wish they would just give you the chicken and let you cook it. You are much more dependable and 10 times the cook"
    Two questions, what kind of rig did Tyson have to be able to cook those kinds of quantities?

How does your grill handle the amount of drippings from all those butts?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2016
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Tyson foods showed up today with capabilities to serve 10,000 meals per lunch and dinner. They have it handled from here forward. I'm going home in the morning.

Best compliment yet was from the guy in charge of food for Salvation Army. "I wish they would just give you the chicken and let you cook it. You are much more dependable and 10 times the cook"
    Two questions, what kind of rig did Tyson have to be able to cook those kinds of quantities?

How does your grill handle the amount of drippings from all those butts?
    It's a semi truck propane rotisserie thing. It didn't come to the location where I was cooking so I never saw it.

The reverse flow plate is welded all around and drains to a 2" drain, I just put the nose down slighlty and it drains out into an aluminum pan I slide under the trailer. I had to empty the tray 3 times over the two day period!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I feel like each day deserved its own plaque/trophy of some sort to honor and give recognition to @Thatgrimguy and the others who collaborated in all this. Thats a lot of butt sweat juice!
    Austin, Tx
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    The world needs more people like you!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Scott......you recovered yet? Still marveling over what you accomplished. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Awesome Scott!
    Scott, I think NOLA would agree, you have earned an honorary spot in the Cajun Navy.  Food looks great!

I think Tyson also has a pressure cooker rig they use for mass quantities as well. 

the "Other People" might have been the "Operation BBQ Relief" crew that was cooking in the area as well.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Budaman5000
    Options
    My hat's off to you sir...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Here is to the most generous guy in Dixie! Nice job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm headed out Saturday with generator, some fans and lights to help out one of my coworkers whose house got 5' of water and no flood insurance.  Bunch of people from work are volunteering some time.
    Nice Carey.  God speed.  Hoping for the best brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SWMBO is concerned I'm going to aggravate my back.  I'm not going to be hacking out sheetrock....I'm thinking maybe cook for the crew.
    Options
    SWMBO is concerned I'm going to aggravate my back.  I'm not going to be hacking out sheetrock....I'm thinking maybe cook for the crew.
    Sounds right.  You can cook alright and SWMBO is usually right.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @nolaegghead -  there is no doubt that anything you can do will be much appreciated.  And SWMBO is right to be protective of your back issues.  I'm here to tell ya, that if you aren't mindful, it will plague you for the remainder of your time on the planet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @lousubcap Good advise.  Yeah, I deal with this once every couple years.  For the most part I'm always mindful.
    Options
    @lousubcap Good advise.  Yeah, I deal with this once every couple years.  For the most part I'm always mindful.
    So you're selling all your bikes?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @bgebrent Nope!  I'm mindful of not crashing....
    Options
    @bgebrent Nope!  I'm mindful of not crashing....
    Love that Carey!  Same rules in the Porsche.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No jumping snake river canyon for me! 
    Options
    If you do, just be sure to punch the chute before you leave the ramp.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nickname of Evil Kenevil doesn't fit you.  Snake River Farms,  Next door man.