Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-REX Frustrations!

GHEgger
GHEgger Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried two different steak cooks using the T-Rex method recently. First one went bad, the steaks came out overcooked at medium, but I found out my probe thermometer was shot and off by 20 degrees. I like my dead cow MOOING. Anyway, tried again this past Saturday night. Did five nice T-loins and two huge ribeyes. Did the sear at max temp with the grill right on top of the fire box, then tried the finish after resting. The steaks were already about at temp when they were put back on at 400. There's no way I could have let them go for 6-8 minutes a side. I must not be doing something right. The T-loins came out great - they're always tender. The ribeyes came off nice and rare, but were quite tough as far as ribeyes go. I never have had problems cooking steaks, and even my buddy asked why the hell I was changing my cooking technique. I'm willing to give it one more try, just to expand my knowledge/trick database. Any suggestions?

Comments

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    GHEgger,[p]If you like your steak super rare, perhaps TRex isn't the best option for ya? You're right, if you like the meat to still moo, you're probably good to go after your sear.[p]I could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking anyway. I think TRex is probably good for med-rare at best (and, of course, more cooked than that as well... but that's probably the rarest you could go).[p]Maybe someone else with more experiance can pipe in?
  • SirKeats,
    i agree with you. . .if you are going for 'black and blue', then sear it for about 2 minutes per side (instead of 90 seconds), then simply pull it, let it rest for a couple of minutes and serve it. ...there is no point in the dwell if you want it still cool in the center. .. .

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    GHEgger,
    no reason to TRex if you want rare.[p]the purpose of the dwell portion of the cook is only to elevate internal temps to the point where you want them above-and-beyond the 'rare' which you've already achieved bduring searing.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    GHEgger,
    i never cook by time, i use a thermapen and cook til its to my liking. the other thing, trex works best with really thick steaks, 2-2.5 inches is great, even better if thicker. a 1 to 1.25 inch steak wont cut it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GHEgger
    That's what I was looking for. Makes perfect sense - thanks for the responses. I just remember seeing some nice pics of a beautifully rare steak done T-Rex style. Must have been pretty thick. I'll save the T-Rex method for the really thick cuts. Thanks again for all the responses!
  • IMG_3678.jpg
    <p />GHEgger,[p]I love my steaks "bruised". I'm talking like just punch them a few times and throw them on a plate. Actually alot depends on the thickness of the steak and how long you leave it on. If you are like me and like it really rare the searing alone could be your best bet. If i'm doing a 1 1/2 inch steak I sear for 90 seconds on each side at max heat then shut all vents and dampers and go 2 minutes on each side with that....You will need to make minor adjustments up and down based on the thickness of the steak. Remember, its better to undercook and throw it back on for a bit than turn a good steak into leather.[p]
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    GHEgger,
    You should try the reverse method. Providing your probe is sending you the right temp. Set the dome at 250. Put the two inch Ribeye on the grill, indirect. When the meat gets to 130 to 135 interior,take it off the Egg and put it in a covered dish. Take the plate setter out and ramp up the lump. Get the flames going. Put the meat back on and searing it like you want it. 30 to 45 seconds each side. Believe it out not,this method keeps the juice in the meat, and it will be medium to medium rare when you cut it. [p]Chef Jerry

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Jwirlwind,
    Thats how I do my tri-tips, always great

• Canuck
    Canuck Posts: 20
    IMG_0085.jpg
    <p />GHEgger,
    Stick with it. I've used this technique several times and think it produces some of the best steaks. I like mine a little closer to med-rare, then black and blue.[p]90 seconds sear, 20 min rest, 2 min each side

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    Canuck,
    I would like to know more about the sauce-- Please

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    squirrelcop,
    I agree! Just don't let crawl off the plate.
    Bob

• GHEgger
    squirrelcop,[p]Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Knock the horns off it, wipe its !@S and throw it on the plate! Nice job. Was that done 90sec sear/2min a side?[p]Thanks for all the help, folks.
  • Canuck
    Canuck Posts: 20
    FL Bob,
    It's pretty losey goosey recipe when I do the mushroon sauce. But, if you want to send me an email I'm happy to tell you what I do, if it's good enough for two eggers who like steak, or if you have some improvements we can post it for others. Mostley Burbon, wine shrooms, and some worst, but my sister in law raves about em. [p]dsmarks@bellsouth.net[p]Canuck