Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Hiccup Cure

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
Back when I was a teenager I used to get the hiccups bad beyond comprehension: would last, continuously, for three or four days and I'd end up losing 10 to 15 pounds (not funny when you're a 169-lb, 6'5" beanpole).  Mom took me to the doctor a couple times, and I tried every single "cure" known then (this was prior-internetz, of course).  Nothing worked.
Now, at 57, I get hiccups maybe twice a year, and they're gone in half a day or so.  But my earlier experiences still drives me insane when it happens.  Last time (a few months ago), and again just now, I got so mad I punched myself in the stomach, as hard as I could.  
It works!  I might be a bit sore tomorrow but it immediately made the hiccups quit.  Hiccups are an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscles, and maybe by overloading them with pain messages they forget about the "let's-convulse-together-every-seven-seconds-just-to-piss-off-the-guy-upstairs" messages.  I'll let the medical/biological/physiological folks here theorize why, but it's a relief to me to have a solution.  
FWIW.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I Effin HATE the hiccups. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

This. Is not solid medical advice. But I love the go getter attitude. Well played. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Drink 2T of pickle juice, turn around 3 times and imagine Hillary is your next president. Be sure to be close to a commode.  Cured.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    There are more "hiccup cures" than there are ways to skin a cat, but I've always found the drink-water-upside-down-from-the-far-side-of-the-glass trick to be highly effective.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Was there a time when skinning a cat needed more than one way?   Or wasn't really weird?
  • Botch
    Options
    Legume said:
    Was there a time when skinning a cat needed more than one way?   Or wasn't really weird?
    That phrase actually originated from skinning catfish.  I know at least three ways, and they're not weird.   =)
    And now I'm hungry for some Texas-fried catfish, or at least Mom-fried bullheads.  

• Botch
    Options
    ...and I probably just derailed my own thread.  Oh bother.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Botch man that sucks.  

I just googled it, and it it seems that Medical Marijuana has been quite effective in curing intractable hiccups.

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Damn, another gap in stuff I know plugged since moving to texas.  Fwiw, I've only nailed their heads to a tree and skinned with a sharp knife and pliers.  Catfish, that is.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    There are more "hiccup cures" than there are ways to skin a cat, but I've always found the drink-water-upside-down-from-the-far-side-of-the-glass trick to be highly effective.
    This.  Especially if you're in a bar and you actually stand on your head.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Use this Hillary nutcracker on your own.....gone.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ask your doctor about a prescription for bethanechol. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    I usually have 2 methods which I go-to.  First I try to hold my breath long enough to generate 3 mouthfuls of saliva, swallowing each one.

If that doesn't work I chug a large glass of water with a metal spoon inside.  Not sure why...but it works (for me).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I don't get the hiccups hardly ever.  My wife gets them occasionally and she will drink water through a straw while plugging her ears.  Works for her every time.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BigGreenKev
    Options
    Upside down water usually works.   The best one though I learned from a bartender and works when  nothing else does.   Slice of a lemon with some bitters on it and then suck the juice. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Don't laugh. But this works for me as well as my wife. Using a small juice glass with cold water place a heavy handled dinner knife in the water blade down. Next hold the knife handle against your face pointed toward your temple and quickly drink down the water! Presto they are gone!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I take as much air as I can possibly fit into my lungs then hold breath as long as I think I can +5 extra seconds.  Works every time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I drink until I pass out, works every time 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And the pundits criticized our waterboarding techniques. But, all we were trying to do is rid them of hiccups. The trick is rapid succession of liquid with little chance breathing. :fearful:  
    It's science so there's no arguing bit¢he's. :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    This has worked for me, too. I don't care how, I just care that it works!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations, This has worked for me, too. I don't care how, I just care that it works!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • FunkytownEgger
    Options
    If you have any peppermint essential oil, put a few drops of it in the palm of your hand and rub your palms together, then cup your hands together in front of your mouth and breath it in (through the mouth).  It will relax the muscles and make the hiccups stop almost immediately.  My wife didn't believe me until I made her try it for herself.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Vinegar works for me. A big gulp of it.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Kissing... works every time.  :smiley:
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Best cure I know (and it has always worked for me) is this:
    Take a spoonful of sugar and throw it as hard as you can so it hits the back of your throat, bypassing your tongue as much as possible. Swallow and relax.

Simple and remarkably effective.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage

Authors

Department of Internal Medicine B, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Golomb Ave., P. O. Box 4940, Haifa 31048, Israel.

Abstract

Abstract. A 60-year-old man with acute pancreatitis developed persistent hiccups after insertion of a nasogastric tube. Removal of the latter did not terminate the hiccups which had also been treated with different drugs, and several manoeuvres were attempted, but with no success. Digital rectal massage was then performed resulting in abrupt cessation of the hiccups. Recurrence of the hiccups occurred several hours later, and again, they were terminated immediately with digital rectal massage. No other recurrences were observed. This is the second reported case associating cessation of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage. We suggest that this manoeuvre should be considered in cases of intractable hiccups before proceeding with pharmacological agents.

Options
    Digital rectal massage works with many ailments. Checking level of consciousness, stimulating peristalsis, assessing for spinal cord injury... Really, it's an under-utilized practice that you can use at home to the delight* of your family and friends!

*this depends on how comfortable you are with your friends, that is.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This thread just took a disturbing turn.

Phoenix 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Now you all have another use for the box of nitrile gloves you keep for "grilling"
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle