Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tis The Season To Roast Chile Peppers

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Anaheim peppers have long been a staple for our framily. With all the talk of "Hatch" Green Chile. Hatch is a place not a type of chile. My wife grew up in Taos so the Chiles grown in Hatch were readily available during their harvest. I would agree that the soil they are grown in gives them a distinct flavor in comparison to one's grown elsewhere. I have 4.5-5 bushels coming in on this coming Friday. Yep, we'll be chile roasting and peeling all day Saturday. That sounds like a lot but, we go through at least that much each season. 
http://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2012/08/hatch-chilies-like-unicorns-dont-exist/
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking forward to that Blake.  That's a whole mess of chilies!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Roast on!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    So it's likely that unless you live there you may not get the chillies actually grown in Hatch?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about chilis. I'd never even tasted a habanero until a few months ago!! Pretty sure I've never had an Anaheim pepper, not that I know of anyway. I did try a free sample roasted Hatch a couple of years ago when I was in Wegman's at the right time. Wasn't impressed so I didn't buy any. Have never seen them again anywhere.

So if a Hatch chili is just an Anaheim pepper grown in/around Hatch, is there a significant difference? One that a chili novice would notice? Or is it mostly marketing hype?

As I recall my Wegman's trip, they had bushels labeled hot and others, mild. Are Anaheims sold that way too? I thought they were both supposed to be relatively mild.

Also, I see Anaheims in the stores all year long. No idea where they're grown. Taste wise, does it matter whether I buy those in August or January?

Sorry for such basic questions.  :s

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    How do you preserve the peppers once you have roasted them all?
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Carolina Q first and foremost find a spicy Latina  =)
    Just some of the things I personally use them for. Chile Rellenos, Nachos, Huevos Rancheros, Smothered Burritos both white sauced and traditional, burgers for topping and stuffed, chicken topping and for stuffing on a Ballotine or breast fillet, enchiladas, jam, fish (assorted), etc...even just to snack on :plus_one:
    If you are a novice then perhaps maybe you might not know. Eat a few and compare them and you'll notice slight differences in the overall flavor profile. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SkySaw Some people prefer to roast and freeze only to have to later peel them. We roast, let them sweat under a tea towel, peel, portion and freeze either in ziplock freezer bags or food saver bags. Peeling after they've been frozen compared to fresh is night and day + peeling fresh roasted you don't lose much if any flesh. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to roast and peel a bunch of peppers this year, and freeze them in ziplocs. I think I'll do the same with tomatoes so that I can add fire roasted tomatoes and peppers to just about whatever.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @SkySaw Some people prefer to roast and freeze only to have to later peel them. We roast, let them sweat under a tea towel, peel, portion and freeze either in ziplock freezer bags or food saver bags. Peeling after they've been frozen compared to fresh is night and day + peeling fresh roasted you don't lose much if any flesh. 
    Never heard of peeling peppers, what's the big deal?
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I'll post the roasting, peeling and storage of them next week. And NO I don't have a Joe Tisserie. For $249.00 + tax + shipping + wire mesh cage thinging I can buy a boat load chile, proteins and beverages :tongue: 
    I roasted mine last year and then after cooling, vacuum sealed.  Still enjoy them now.  Might want to order another batch though.  I left skin on and peel when I use.  Was easier and I didn't know any better so stuck with it.  Good stuff.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Never had them brother but I've been waiting for you to post about the roast this year  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Anaheim peppers have long been a staple for our framily. With all the talk of "Hatch" Green Chile. Hatch is a place not a type of chile. My wife grew up in Taos so the Chiles grown in Hatch were readily available during their harvest. I would agree that the soil they are grown in gives them a distinct flavor in comparison to one's grown elsewhere. I have 4.5-5 bushels coming in on this coming Friday. Yep, we'll be chile roasting and peeling all day Saturday. That sounds like a lot but, we go through at least that much each season. 
    http://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2012/08/hatch-chilies-like-unicorns-dont-exist/
    That article was probably written by a disgruntled person from Colorado. Colorado chiles are just bad

People are mad as hell now that the courts have agreed that no Chile other than those grown in hatch can be called or labeled Hatch Chiles

Big business was trying to get in on the magic of Hatch chile and the farmers there got fed up with it. 
     If you buy chile and it says Hatch you can bet it was grown in Hatch not in Mexico this guy doesn't have a clue

I agree the soil has everything to do with it.

When we get our Chile we never peel it before its frozen seems to lose flavor when you do Take a frozen bag out pop it in the microwave for 5 min or so till thawed and hot and the skins will peep right off . If it doesn't it wasn't roasted properly

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Work a double shift and don't worry about the Joetisserie haha jk
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @llrickman In regards to peeling after frozen and losing flavor I'd have to disagree. As to when to peel it's a personal preference I guess. Some of our family prefer to freeze peel on and others peel prior to freezing. My wife's family in NM peeled first so.... No right or wrong way is all I'm saying. It would save a heap of time on the front end I guess leaving the peel on. And "CO Chile are just bad"? Most of the Green Chile that our family get that live in CO come from NM to begin with because NM is so close.  Although I've personally had chile harvested from Pueblo and it was as good if not better.  We have family in both NM & CO so their is no pissing contest. Or is there :grin:
    http://krqe.com/2014/01/30/colorado-challenges-nm-to-green-chile-showdown/
    https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/the-skin-keeps-the-heat-in/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've gone both routes, peel/freeze or freeze/peel, but its always been an all-out effort every year so I can't compare back-to-back.  Maybe I'll try a few of each this year and compare next March or so (good idea actually!)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• llrickman
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @llrickman In regards to peeling after frozen and losing flavor I'd have to disagree. As to when to peel it's a personal preference I guess. Some of our family prefer to freeze peel on and others peel prior to freezing. My wife's family in NM peeled first so.... No right or wrong way is all I'm saying. It would save a heap of time on the front end I guess leaving the peel on. And "CO Chile are just bad"? Most of the Green Chile that our family get that live in CO come from NM to begin with because NM is so close.  Although I've personally had chile harvested from Pueblo and it was as good if not better.  We have family in both NM & CO so their is no pissing contest. Or is there :grin:
    http://krqe.com/2014/01/30/colorado-challenges-nm-to-green-chile-showdown/
    https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/the-skin-keeps-the-heat-in/
    Lol ive eaten both and just don't like the flavor of the Colorado chile it just doesn't seen to have that flavor pop that chile from Hatch does But..... any green chile is better than no green chile!!! :)

Oh and like your signature also well part of it  Die hard Broncos fan here also :)  but Huskers um nooooo   Go Red Raiders :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    How and why do you peel them?

Last ones I roasted, we just ate them with the peel and they seemed fine.

NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @buzd504 roast, sweat, peel and usually seared.  As to the why. The skin tends to be bitter and the texture isn't the most appealing depending on the dish they are being used for. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    @buzd504 roast, sweat, peel and usually seared.  As to the why. The skin tends to be bitter and the texture isn't the most appealing depending on the dish they are being used for. 
    Thanks!
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @buzd504 usually deseed. not seared. :tongue: good ole auto-correct 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • AlexKeenan
    Options
    still a few weeks away from slow smoking and drying my peppers. I like to keep them on a low smoke for a few days until very dry. Then is finish in a low oven and use a coffee grinder to grind and sieve for coarse and fine powders. Don't know what the mix will be each year. Depends on what grows well in the garden :)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder - every year I say I'm going to try some and I never have.  I'll start looking again!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Just finished working on the loading dock refrigeration at the plant. 

& coincidentally my shipment of green chile came in today. :smiley:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about chilis. I'd never even tasted a habanero until a few months ago!! Pretty sure I've never had an Anaheim pepper, not that I know of anyway. I did try a free sample roasted Hatch a couple of years ago when I was in Wegman's at the right time. Wasn't impressed so I didn't buy any. Have never seen them again anywhere.

So if a Hatch chili is just an Anaheim pepper grown in/around Hatch, is there a significant difference? One that a chili novice would notice? Or is it mostly marketing hype?

As I recall my Wegman's trip, they had bushels labeled hot and others, mild. Are Anaheims sold that way too? I thought they were both supposed to be relatively mild.

Also, I see Anaheims in the stores all year long. No idea where they're grown. Taste wise, does it matter whether I buy those in August or January?

Sorry for such basic questions.  :s

if your in new mexico and buy a anaheim it has a little heat, not much but enough to spark up a burger. i think what we get is from california, tastes more like a bell pepper, not much heat/spiceyness at all, less than a poblano. anaheims are very dissapointing from east coat supermarkets. im liking habaneros more and more now, my fridge has habanero garlic, pickles, and habanero stuffed green olives all the time now =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • scottc454
    Options

No, a Hatch chili is just a *New Mexico* pepper grown on Hatch farms.

There are a variety of different chile cultivars called "New Mexico" peppers, or "NuMex." They were bred from Anaheim peppers, but are generally hotter.  Hatch is merely a place that grows New Mexico peppers. I seriously doubt they grow any plain Anaheim peppers there, as it would be an insult.

If you get any peppers that have some heat to them, they are definitely some type of NuMex and not Anaheim.  Some of those cultivars are DAMN hot too. There is a cultivar called "Dynamite", and I think it's only from CO.

http://www.thechiliguysstore.com/products/dynamite-chili

I don't know if there's anything magic about Hatch. It could just be that the climate is ideal.  I know here in CO,  the growing season is a bit too short.

• scottc454
    Options
    Not sure if I was 100% correct. I guess it depends on who you ask. There is a naming dispute where people from New Mexico want to claim the pepper as their own and object to the name "Anaheim" because they perfected it with a ton of new cultivars.

Here, they claim Anaheim is just one cultivar of the NuMex family.

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/new-mexico-chile-varieties/

Others might say that these other cultivars are part of the Anaheim family. 

This is exciting stuff, I tell ya! There is also a type of pepper called Mirasol that Pueblo calls its own.  They've got good green chili down there.

• llrickman
    Options
    scottc454 said:

I don't know if there's anything magic about Hatch. It could just be that the climate is ideal.  I know here in CO,  the growing season is a bit too short.

I think you nailed it . To me there is a big difference in the flavor of hatch and Co grown chile.  Very well could be that Hatch has a significant longer growing season and ive heard alot that the soil in Hatch is perfect for growing chile 

almost all chile here in Albuquerque comes from Hatch or Lemitar i personally don't like the Lemitar chile as well.

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @scottc454 & one should note the NM people weren't trademarking Hatch out of greed but, more for necessity of survival. This is way beyond sales. It's heritage, pride and a way of life. 
    I too like the Chiles (Anaheim and others) produced in Pueblo. I wasn't aware that they too had their own branding "Mirasol". Mira, those jokers are legit. Packing 2,500-5,000 Scovilles and good flavor. I've only had them 1x while back in CO but, didn't know that's what they called them.  We're also getting some Red Chile from familia. I'd love to be able to make our own Ristras but, in FL that isn't worth the drama. Fortunately we have sources.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Standing by brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga