Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For pizza how should I setup my plate setter

Options
I've done a couple pizza's on my egg with the plate setter legs down and a I've tried legs up. What's the best option?? Any other recommendations for cooking Pizza on egg. 

Comments

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Legs down and use copper elbows to create an air gap between your setter and stone. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    As high as possible in the dome. Not crazy high, just high.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

I do the plate setter legs up with the grate on top and then the pizza stone on the grate. I cook at about 550 and don't use any cornstarch on the stone. It never sticks and is done in about 5 minutes.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    PS legs up and raise the grid above the felt line, stone on the grid.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This has been asked quite a few times, with legs up and legs down camps splitting opinion. I go with legs up so it doesn't damage the standard BGE gasket, however with a heavy duty gasket (Rutland) I believe you can do it with legs down. Raising into the dome is a consistent piece of good advice.

Is there a "correct" way that gives the "best" results? Maybe. What's more important, to me at least, is experimenting and finding what works, it's the fun of owning a BGE and the drive to make ourselves better at what we do with it.

Co-incidentally, I published a short guide (with pictures) on how I cook pizza with a Big Green Egg on my food blog this very morning, maybe that will help. It's the conclusion of many experiments :). I will caveat this by saying I've not tried it with legs down simply because I don't want to risk the gasket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used to do mine legs down with about 4" of spacers (couple of bricks turned on edge would do) then the pizza stone. Some say legs down forces the heat to hit the gasket and trashes it. I don't know whether or not that's true and anyway, I have a Rutland gasket so it doesn't matter to me.

That's how I used to do it anyway. I haven't done pizza on the egg in a long time. Oven works every bit as well and is much easier.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I would put the plate setter legs up with the grid on top, then remove the finished pizza from the blackstone oven and place it on the grid to cool
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    I would put the plate setter legs up with the grid on top, then remove the finished pizza from the blackstone oven and place it on the grid to cool
    hahaha. You're as bad as I am, but with a better place to make pizza. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @TKoot  Some go legs up and some go legs down.  I haven't seen any information that demonstrates that one method is better than another.  Biggest concern in deciding this issue seems to be concern for protecting the gasket, not that one produces better pizza.  Far more important to get an air gap between the plate setter and the pizza stone and to get the stone up into the dome to the right height (which will vary depending on how you make your pizza).

"Any other recommendations for cooking Pizza on egg."  --  Any problems you are having?  Are the pizzas you have cooked turning out good?  If so, you are doing it right so keep doing the same.  If there is something that you don't like let us know and we may be able to suggest specific actions.  Otherwise you can get a long list of things suggested that you already know.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• TKoot
    TKoot Posts: 15
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    What's a Rutland Gasket??
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    TKoot said:
    Zippylip said:
    Paging @RRP ...
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    TKoot said:
    Zippylip said:
    Paging @RRP ...
    Thanks - PM sent to @TKoot
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    @RRP do you mind letting me know about the marvels of the rutland gasket as well, please?

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    How I do it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... Co-incidentally, I published a short guide (with pictures) on how I cook pizza with a Big Green Egg on my food blog this very morning, maybe that will help.
    I looked at your blog -- way cool!  Gorgeous pictures, and that pizza, wow!!!  Really great looking pie!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Please... Who needs a proper gasket..

mines been fried for some time now. I just neatly tuck the back 5" in when I close the dome and have no problems! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Stormbringer
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... Co-incidentally, I published a short guide (with pictures) on how I cook pizza with a Big Green Egg on my food blog this very morning, maybe that will help.
    I looked at your blog -- way cool!  Gorgeous pictures, and that pizza, wow!!!  Really great looking pie!
    @Theophan - thanks! SWMBO does all of the photography, as well as being the chief pizza taster :).

It is kinda fun for us to share in this hobby - making food, photographing it and sharing it with others, especially in the UK where the BGE is still a very rare commodity.

If you have the time and inclination, the Far Breton and Pho Ga recipes are definitely worth trying, although they aren't BGE-friendly. The bread recipes can all be applied to baking bread on the BGE ... I'll blog about that after we return from your side of the pond. :D

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    @RRP do you mind letting me know about the marvels of the rutland gasket as well, please?
    PM sent.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    TKoot said:
    Any other recommendations for cooking Pizza on egg. 
    I think my IR thermometer has helped a lot with pizzas, just so I can make sure the stone temp is about where I need it.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Here is my set up..,
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    TKoot said:
    Any other recommendations for cooking Pizza on egg. 
    I think my IR thermometer has helped a lot with pizzas, just so I can make sure the stone temp is about where I need it.
    Agreed.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut