Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Impression of the Kamado Joe and the Costco Roadshow

Options
2»

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a large BGE and a joe Jr.  I agree with all of the positive posts here, I love the egg but most of the time it is just two of us so Jr gets the work. Absolutely no issues, I have a kick ash basket and I can get to temp very quickly!  I believe it is the best bang for the buck!  I happen to like the red as well 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • TMCCGator
    Options
    The roadshow is in Orlando this week.  Picked up 40 lbs of KJ lump for $29.99.  
    Large BGE
    Port Orange, FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Have not posted anything for along time I bleed green 2 xls and a MM. I am sure they all work good but I do not see your point coming on to a green egg forum talking about other ceramic grills. we all know if you want the best buy a green egg.
    Who's this "we" ? You have a mouse in your pocket?  You consumed the kool-aid hard I see.  

You ever looked at Komodo-Kamado? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Thanks to the Surfin Bison (aka The_Buffalo) for allowing this post to fly under the radar.  I knew I was risking the stampede...

And I apologize to others if I ruffled feathers.  I've been a long-time member here, posting only occasionally.  I don't have as much to offer as most.  I thought this might be an opportunity to share.  Maybe it was missed in my post, but I've owned a LBGE and MBGE for many years.  I've referred more than 50 BGE sales to my local distributors over the  years.  I too bleed green!  My intent for posting was not to slam BGE or Kamado Joe for that matter.  Sorry if that came across.  There was a similar discussion several weeks ago about the Costco Roadshow and just wanted to share my views.

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    I want to get a Joe Jr simply because it is red and black lol. I can't talk myself into doing it though because I have a large and the small is easy enough to travel with to me.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    You guys may have just sold me on one of these tiny Kamodos.  To be honest, although they looked cool, I just figured I would be frustrated by the small grate cooking for a family of 4.   I see pictures of people's cooks on here and the grates look crowded with 2 steaks on there.  

And if I brought it tailgating or to a family function at someone else's house, then I'd be cooking for a crowd.  It looks like I'd be hard pressed to make more than a single serving of wings on them.   ?

Maybe I'm overlooking the usefulness of one of these little guys..

LBGE/Maryland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    We cook for 4 on ours. I like to hang wings in a drumstick rack and that won't fit but Latino them on the grill will. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The 13.5-inch grills translate to 148.5 square inches of grill space, which compared to the 262 square inches of grill space on an 18-inch grill means that the KJ Jr. and MM have roughly 55% of the grill space of a Large. This size is ideal for holding a bunch of stuff (if I remove the thermometer from my Jr. it will hold my Lodge 5 quart DO with lid on), but if you are just grilling a bunch of vegetables, burgers, or steaks, these grills will take almost twice as long to cook the same amount of stuff as a Large. Grilling is usually a fairly quick process, so I don't mind cooking in batches.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    The 13.5-inch grills translate to 148.5 square inches of grill space, which compared to the 262 square inches of grill space on an 18-inch grill means that the KJ Jr. and MM have roughly 55% of the grill space of a Large. ...
    True, but I think the Large is too small for most of my cooks!  (spacing, arrangement over hot/cool portions, etc.), but I make do. So anything smaller will feel like I'm cooking on a hot plate.  ;)

I hear you though, it can work!  And delivers that kamodo flavor and goodness.

LBGE/Maryland
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have not posted anything for along time I bleed green 2 xls and a MM. I am sure they all work good but I do not see your point coming on to a green egg forum talking about other ceramic grills. we all know if you want the best buy a green egg.
    What difference does it make if your BBQ is Green, Red, or Black?

What makes anyone think they are a better cook on one as to another?

The tools don't make you a better cook no matter how expensive they might be.

At the end of the day all ceramic grills are all glorified flower pots. 
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Unless your backyard grilling area looks something similar to the following, then you shouldn't be bragging about having the "best" Kamado-style grill. And yes, I know there is at least one member here who has a setup like this.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Huh? You feeling ok? 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Unless your backyard grilling area looks something similar to the following, then you shouldn't be bragging about having the "best" Kamado-style grill. And yes, I know there is at least one member here who has a setup like this.

I mean that's just....  Wow.  That's ridiculous.   Why...  I don't get how...
    who would go through all that expense to buy those two monstrosities, and not even match the ash door handles!!?   :lol:
    ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Toxarch said:

This forum is non discriminatory.  Enjoy your cooks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I wish those were mine but no way I would spend that much. I'm fine with my LBGE.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.