Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Ice.....tell me how you use it.....

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Robin, you've received some good information here, @nolaegghead, @Eggcelsior,and @Legume have good advice amongst others.  Dry ice is frozen CO2, it's a good additive to a cooler when wrapped in paper or plastic.  SRF brisket came with it.  It'll keep yer stuff cold.  The sublimation/expansion stuff really doesn't apply, unless your cooler has a screw top and contains water.  Routine cooling doesn't need it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @bgebrent I'm quite disappointed you didn't include me in the list of quality commenters above. Between you and Robin not thanking me for my comments on his vacation he somehow survived I'm starting to get a complex. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've had it in a gasket sealed cooler and it will "buzz" the lid as the CO2 escapes.  Dry ice great for keeping frozen stuff frozen, but a bad choice if you want to keep refrigerated stuff cold and unfrozen.
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman -  never that creative in college but did use it to keep the trash can of Purple Jesus punch well-chilled for the duration.  
    @lousubcap: "Purple Jesus punch"?? I'm guessing this was the 70s?!  =)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @bgebrent I'm quite disappointed you didn't include me in the list of quality commenters above. Between you and Robin not thanking me for my comments on his vacation he somehow survived I'm starting to get a complex. 
    Please don't get a complex but if you could forward me your sons Instagram sight where he documents his cooks I'd appreciate it!  Love you brother.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    At least you aren't the last comment.  I hate it when I jump in and a thread dies.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Yup.  

You're welcome.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    At least you aren't the last comment.  I hate it when I jump in and a thread dies.
    The thread is dying?  Damn.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    A group of us friends go "hunting" every year. There might be a couple hours of hunting the first day and the rest of the week is drinking, grilling, pitching washers and playing 42. Most run out of ice about day 3 or 4 and have to make a run to town for more. One guy never brings extra ice and one year he shows up bragging that he won't have to reload his cooler that year. While he was at the grocery store buying beer and ice, the clerk says he puts dry ice in the bottom of his cooler and the ice lasts for a week. So my buddy drops a big chunk of dry ice in the bottom of the cooler and loads it with beer and ice.

Hour and a half drive out to the ranch. He opened up his cooler at the ranch after bragging about the idea and the whole thing had turned into a giant block of ice. The beer melted some of the ice and the dry ice froze that water. He had to chip out ice for half an hour to get one beer out and then let that beer turn back to liquid before he could drink it. In the end, he was right that he didn't have to add any ice to his cooler for the whole week.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations -  you musta been there; late '60's-early 70's.  Surprised I can still recall those adventures.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Maybe Robin is asking about this because he's planning on importing some hot wing sauce from Thailand to defend his crown
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman -  never that creative in college but did use it to keep the trash can of Purple Jesus punch well-chilled for the duration.  

Haven't heard "Purple Jesus" juice since college........

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    We have outings out by the river / lake with friends and we bring the ice cream.  Placed the 5 gal buckets in a cambro with a block of dry ice and the ice cream was frozen so solid that we had to leave it out in the GA summer heat for 30 minutes before we could scoop it.

The kids love the ice cream each time we have a get-to-gether, and I will continue this process.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Maybe Robin is asking about this because he's planning on importing some hot wing sauce from Thailand to defend his crown

Thanks Michael.....for winding that group up. One remains bitter I think. I think it is the norm though....which is why he sleeps in the garage now.....in a car with an air condition unit in the back seat.

Oh the challenges of being a champion.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options

Thanks Michael.....for winding that group up. One remains bitter I think. I think it is the norm though....which is why he sleeps in the garage now.....in a car with an air condition unit in the back seat.

Oh the challenges of being a champion.
    if you ain't first, you're last. 
  • bpric
    bpric Posts: 28
    Options
    I use it for multi-day camping trips.  I wrap some in a few layers of paper grocery bags, and it will keep my ice chest at a good 'refrigerator' temperature for lettuce, cheese, and the like.  
    Here's a cautionary tale...
    I once used dry ice next to a big block of water ice in the same cooler.  It didn't occur to me that the dry ice would cool the water ice down closer to its own temperature (-109 degrees).  However, this effect became very obvious when I picked up the water ice with my bare hands!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    So, I get home and find this abandoned experiment in the driveway. Because @SRFShane uses it to ship ribeye cap. Whoot!

and because there is a set of boys ages 9 & 10 here. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @theyolksonyou   Well if the ask you to pull their finger.....think twice about it!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    Options
    So, I get home and find this abandoned experiment in the driveway. Because @SRFShane uses it to ship ribeye cap. Whoot!

and because there is a set of boys ages 9 & 10 here. 

Could envision some ribeye cap the weekend of the 17th, since Michaels meat will be rotten ;)