Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook time-line review please

Having a party Sunday with about 40 people coming over. Doing what I consider a big cook. Shooting for 2-3 dinner time. 
15.5lb brisket on at noon Saturday
2 8lb shoulders on at 10pm Saturday
9 racks of ribs, 3 bb, 3 spares, 3 beef on @ 8am Sunday
4 chickens broken down on at noon Sunday. 

I'll be doing sides and apps as grill space opens up. 

This sound about right?
Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• What size are you using?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Sounds like you only have the brisket running for around 10 hours-but the critical variable missing from the equation is the calibrated dome temp for the cook(s).  As you are aware, that drives the whole thing,  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Your timing looks good.  Never trust a brisket and never under appreciate FTC.  Believe @lousubcap 's advice, it's sound.  Ping.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Brisket on an L 225deg
    Shoulders on another L 225deg
    Ribs on an XL 225deg
    Chicken on first free L 325deg

Temps will be at grill level, all indirect, run by a Stoker unit.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bgebrent said:
    Your timing looks good.  Never trust a brisket and never under appreciate FTC.  Believe @lousubcap 's advice, it's sound.  Ping.
    This was my biggest concern...could really booger your weekend up. Or at least your sleep. 

If if you need to rush your ribs I have a thread on here somewhere but you can PM me. It's a solid recipe that allows you to steam them in about four hours in the oven then kicking the egg to about 400 and grilling them to seat the meat and toss on the BBQ sauce if you wanted. 

Ive done them quite a few times when other cooks held up a big meal. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• BilZol
    bgebrent said:
    I'm hoping to have some safety time built into the brisket and shoulders. I  know we have several hours leeway after final temp, but don't want to cut it too close or hold it too long if I can help it.
    I'll be monitoring with an iGrill as well
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • lousubcap
    With that temp,given you are running two BGE's you should be well able to get into the famous FTC window for the finish-line.  Although just to toss this out there, my last several (5-6) briskets running at an average or around 275*F on the calibrated dome have finished in around 0.75 hrs/lb.  If it were me I would fire up the brisket  later (around 6-7 PM) as you can always dial the temp up to punch it home.  You want to get the large proteins finished no later than about 6-7 hours in advance of serve time so you can ride the FTC home.  I don't cook with a controller so if comfortable  with it and your experience, disregard all above.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BilZol
    bgebrent said:
    This was my biggest concern...could really booger your weekend up. Or at least your sleep. 

If if you need to rush your ribs I have a thread on here somewhere but you can PM me. It's a solid recipe that allows you to steam them in about four hours in the oven then kicking the egg to about 400 and grilling them to seat the meat and toss on the BBQ sauce if you wanted. 

Ive done them quite a few times when other cooks held up a big meal. 

I was thinking 2-2-1 on the ribs.  I have yet to nail the beef ribs yet so I'm going to have to watch them close. Would steaming or braising them be a better option
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol said:

I was thinking 2-2-1 on the ribs.  I have yet to nail the beef ribs yet so I'm going to have to watch them close. Would steaming or braising them be a better option
    I think beef ribs are actually easier. Especially if you are doing pork at the same time. Toothpick test them. Everyone here has said multiple times if the pork ribs are overdone the beef ribs are getting closer.  

I have only done pork ribs like that in a pinch. I'm not the one to ask about doing that to beef ribs. 

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    edited August 2016
    Regarding beef ribs-run around 250-260 *F on the dome and go til the toothpick  nails the finish-line.  No need for any extra effort, on the BGE, sit back, and enjoy the cook.  Can take anywhere from 5.5 -7hrs+.
  • bgebrent
    Let your beef ribs roll at low temp and no foil.  Just my 2 cents.
  • BilZol
    lousubcap said:
    With that temp,given you are running two BGE's you should be well able to get into the famous FTC window for the finish-line.  Although just to toss this out there, my last several (5-6) briskets running at an average or around 275*F on the calibrat vs tied dome have finished in around 0.75 hrs/lb.  If it were me I would fire up the brisket  later (around 6-7 PM) as you can always dial the temp up to punch it home.  You want to get the large proteins finished no later than about 6-7 hours in advance of serve time so you can ride the FTC home.  I don't cook with a controller so if comfortable  with it and your experience, disregard all above.  FWIW-
    I wish I would have written down how long it took me last time. This is only my second full packers brisket. What if I split our times and do it at 3 instead? When would I punch it up? After the stall? Any certain temp vs time left?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    BilZol said:

I think beef ribs are actually easier. Especially if you are doing pork at the same time. Toothpick test them. Everyone here has said multiple times if the pork ribs are overdone the beef ribs are getting closer.  

I have only done pork ribs like that in a pinch. I'm not the one to ask about doing that to beef ribs. 

I've probably bit off more then I can chew but I've never been accused of being half arsed, I normally manage to make a whole arse out of myself.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • lousubcap
    With a brisket the cow drives the cook-since this thing isn't going down til Sat you likely will get a few other opinions/options and all will work.  Just grab one and run with it. Bottom-line enjoy your ambitious cook.  You will nail this.
  • BilZol
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding beef ribs-run around 250-260 *F on the dome and go til the toothpick  nails the finish-line.  No need for any extra effort, on the BGE, sit back, and enjoy the cook.  Can take anywhere from 5.5 -7hrs+.

Will do. Might put them on ahead of the pork then. If they finish early, viola!, they are appetizers. B)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    bgebrent said:
    Let your beef ribs roll at low temp and no foil.  Just my 2 cents.
    Gotcha. No foil on beef. That may be where have been failing in the past.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    The closer it gets the more I overthink it. They are all good friends and co workers coming over from both of our jobs and we've all sat through bad company picnics and potlucks together. However it goes it will be an epic memory....
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bgebrent
    Loose the overthink.  You're on point. Serve and have fun brother!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    So you are running 3 eggs. That's good cause I was wondering how that was going to be managed on 1 egg. 

Your beef ribs are going to cook like your brisket, only quicker. I would do them both the same way. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BilZol
    Toxarch said:
    So you are running 3 eggs. That's good cause I was wondering how that was going to be managed on 1 egg. 

Your beef ribs are going to cook like your brisket, only quicker. I would do them both the same way. 
    Yep. I'll have the two L's and an XL doing the majority of the cooking. We'll probably run the MM going too. Going to experiment with pies and cobbler too. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM