Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Brisket Tracker

Options

Comments

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    No Costcos in Oklahoma City. I am having trouble finding prime briskets in town. I can find CAB choice packers for $2.99 at Crest or Uptown Grocery. I have only seen select packers or choice flats at Sams, I am going to ask the butcher there if he can order prime packers.  

My Dad can find all the prime packers for $3.49 he wants at Costco on the west side of Fort Worth. Heck he can find them, at the HEB Grocery in Stephenville and Granbury, Texas. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Phoenix az 44th and Oak (Arcadia crossing) ,  Memorial day brisket cook i paid 2.97 per lb and 2.99 per lb but was at costco last weekend and recall seeing closer to 4 per lb. Maybe 3.97?  Cant remember exactly but it was either just over or just under 4 per lb. Prime qhole packers in all cases here.  I didnt even look at choice because costco primes made me abit of a brisket snob.....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I plan to be there-bring your voyage planning check list and charts from the PNW adventure....

Just kidding.  Looking forward to it as long as he doesn't expect us to finish out his kitchen  ;)
    He would be smart not to ask us to drink his wine and perform detail work ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I rarely go to either Sam's or Costco because it always costs me an arm and a leg to get out of them, but the last visit to Sam only had 'select' briskets.  And the last visit to Costco had some really nice Prime briskets, both trimmed and untrimmed.  They were a bit too big for me so I didn't get one.

But I just checked the flyer for our neighborhood H.E.B. for next week and their prime briskets (trimmed) will be on sale.  Here's their ad for our Spring, TX store.

Spring "Primed And Ready To Buy A Prime Brisket" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I rarely go to either Sam's or Costco because it always costs me an arm and a leg to get out of them, but the last visit to Sam only had 'select' briskets.  And the last visit to Costco had some really nice Prime briskets, both trimmed and untrimmed.  They were a bit too big for me so I didn't get one.

But I just checked the flyer for our neighborhood H.E.B. for next week and their prime briskets (trimmed) will be on sale.  Here's their ad for our Spring, TX store.

Spring "Primed And Ready To Buy A Prime Brisket" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

And even prime brisket burgers!
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I smoked a choice flat from Franklin, TN Costco this past weekend. I look for Prime brisket every time I go in there and I wish they would carry them. I am also interested in locating stores that carry prime brisket flats or packers.  I travel regularly along I-40 from Virginia to Oklahoma. 
    Ive asked them numerous times if they would ever carry full packers and they said no. The Sams on mallory lane has full packers and will let you have a "visitor" shop and buy one without a membership if you show interest in a membership.

https://help.samsclub.com/ci/fattach/get/76904/0/filename/Article+#279+Attachment+-+FYE17+ITS+Online.pdf
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    A new Costco opened on the southside of Indianapolis at the end of June and I was pleasantly surprised to see they had prime grade briskets for, I think, $3.89 per pound. When I was there 2 weeks ago, the price had fallen to $3.29 per pound. I am planning my first brisket cook for Labor Day weekend so next time I'm there I will be buying one.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One more place you can check is Patton's Meat Market in Duluth.  If you sign up for their email specials you can look for coupons.  I have seen specials come across for $4.79 a lb for prime grade CAB.  It is normally $6.99 a lb. I haven't tried one yet but I am going to try to make it there next time I see the sale. 

http://pattonsmeatmarket.com/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Lancaster, PA - No packer briskets of any kind at Costco
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Sorry @DoubleEgger but the brisketbuddy.com domain name is already taken.
      I was hoping you would be able to register for that domain name and this idea of yours would get some legs.  We could track various meat prices throughout the USA.

Meatbuddy.com is available but doesn't have the same cadence to saying it.

http://www.brisketbuddy.com/storebb/tailgate-cutting-board
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Lit said:
    You have a restaurant depot there in Marietta get a KCBS membership the angus briskets are under $3 a pound there.
    I'm looking for prime. Those angus ones at RD at okay at best. 
    I know the supply chain varies by region but they are better than any Costco Brisket I've ever cooked of any grade. I got rid of my Costco membership because I was like 0-5 cooking Costco briskets. Longest slump I've had since I learned what the hell I was doing. Once I got off Costco briskets, slump over. I know some people down here like them but every time someone at work calls me and says "what did I do wrong" I start with "where did you buy it"? RD Superior Angus are great briskets. And I will take a CAB brisket over any prime brisket anywhere. 
    What do you think it is about the Costco ones? They come from Excel just like most other places I think?
    Could be the cook (me) but I've never had such bad luck. They don't always come from Excel down here- they buy the cheapest they can for the area. I have always had better luck with Angus briskets (even SRF is half angus). CAB are angus, RD Superior Angus are..well...Angus, Meyer all natural are Angus, SRF are half and half- never had a problem. I know "Angus" can be subjective but I generally buy upper tier/branded stuff since I can get it at the normal store here. I know Cazzy likes them fine so it could have just been a slump I was in but I see it all the time with others who call me with problems too. At some point, I had to blame the meat or else it would have been...me.

There was also the guy on here last year that had that nasty abscess/tumor in his Costco brisket. That was about the nastiest thing I have ever seen. 

I thought that was a Walmart brisket. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
     Nice thing about Kentucky, it is the 7th largest beef producer in the USA. Tons of beef processed here.

Sounds like when I come back down to hit the rest of the distilleries on the Bourbon Trail, I need to bring the truck and my 100qt cooler. =)
    Let me know when, I will assist in any manner I can.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I plan to be there-bring your voyage planning check list and charts from the PNW adventure....

Just kidding.  Looking forward to it as long as he doesn't expect us to finish out his kitchen  ;)
    @lousubcap @northGAcock the only hammering that will happen by anyone will be self inflicted, should you so choose.
    Carry on.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lit said:
    You have a restaurant depot there in Marietta get a KCBS membership the angus briskets are under $3 a pound there.
    I'm looking for prime. Those angus ones at RD at okay at best. 
    I know the supply chain varies by region but they are better than any Costco Brisket I've ever cooked of any grade. I got rid of my Costco membership because I was like 0-5 cooking Costco briskets. Longest slump I've had since I learned what the hell I was doing. Once I got off Costco briskets, slump over. I know some people down here like them but every time someone at work calls me and says "what did I do wrong" I start with "where did you buy it"? RD Superior Angus are great briskets. And I will take a CAB brisket over any prime brisket anywhere. 
    What do you think it is about the Costco ones? They come from Excel just like most other places I think?
    Could be the cook (me) but I've never had such bad luck. They don't always come from Excel down here- they buy the cheapest they can for the area. I have always had better luck with Angus briskets (even SRF is half angus). CAB are angus, RD Superior Angus are..well...Angus, Meyer all natural are Angus, SRF are half and half- never had a problem. I know "Angus" can be subjective but I generally buy upper tier/branded stuff since I can get it at the normal store here. I know Cazzy likes them fine so it could have just been a slump I was in but I see it all the time with others who call me with problems too. At some point, I had to blame the meat or else it would have been...me.

There was also the guy on here last year that had that nasty abscess/tumor in his Costco brisket. That was about the nastiest thing I have ever seen. 

I thought that was a Walmart brisket. 
    May have been

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Denver/Parker, CO. 2.99lb. 
    Going on Saturday for Sunday get together with a few other things. 
    thx for heads-up.  I'm in Castle Rock and did not see any in Park Meadows a couple weeks ago.  Will hit Parker tomorrow and re-stock.  PM had them for a while and I loaded up early summer.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    kl8ton said:

I was hoping you would be able to register for that domain name and this idea of yours would get some legs.  We could track various meat prices throughout the USA.

Sounds like a great name for Michael's site. 
  • Boileregger
    Options
    For any PNW eggers the Covington, WA Costco has prime briskets during summer time only for $2.99 per lb.  When not the season, you can go out to the one in Tukwila who seems to have them year round.

Some friendly eggers on this board passed on that info to me when I first moved here, so hoping to pay it forward.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Sounds like a great name for Michael's site. 
    I was thinking brisketadvisor.com
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Meathandler.com
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Floppymeat.com ? 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    A followup on my earlier post about H.E.B. Prime 1 Trimmed Briskets.  The ad photo I posted was for next week.  But on the chance that they may have some there already, we checked the counter and talked to the butcher.  

The ones in the counter marked $3.97 per pound were choice grade, not prime.  So we talked to the butcher to see if he knew anything about next week's sale price.  Not a thing.  In fact, he said they sometimes don't know about a sale until the day of the sale.  He was surprised that I was able to pull up next weeks ad before this weeks sale was over.

We'll be back as soon as we know the Prime brisket sale is on.

Spring "Keep On Checking" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    up here i haven't seen a difference between choice RD brisket and prime costco brisket.  but i have noticed that most of the briskets are pretty firm, and not floppy.  i'll have to look for processing/packing dates - i wonder if they turn over supply so quickly that there's no time for them to wet age a bit?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Floppymeat.com ? 
    FloppyMeatinaBag.com?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    Floppymeat.com ? 
    FloppyMeatinaBag.com?
    can it get any worse? on a wednesday no less?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    @blind99 -  should the disease get air-borne then it could be an epic Weds.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @blind99 -  should the disease get air-borne then it could be an epic Weds.  ;)
    Or, epidemic Wednesday? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    up here i haven't seen a difference between choice RD brisket and prime costco brisket.  but i have noticed that most of the briskets are pretty firm, and not floppy.  i'll have to look for processing/packing dates - i wonder if they turn over supply so quickly that there's no time for them to wet age a bit?
    The superior angus and CAB are all wet aged 28 days before they leave the processor. That could have something to do with the Costco prime down here. It cost money to hold on to something for a month before shipping it. THey may have been taking delivery of fresh inventory and turning it super fast (as is their model). I dunno- could just never get one right.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    Floppymeat.com ? 
    FloppyMeatinaBag.com?
    Meatlover.com?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    @tarheelmatt -  tried that with SWMBO, she choked on the thought  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @tarheelmatt -  tried that with SWMBO, she choked on the thought  ;)
    You savage.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site