Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs Yoder

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

My cousin has the Yoder Loaded Wichita....he loves it.

I bought my Large BGE around the same time that he did.

I think the food I produce on my egg is a lot better than what he produces on his yoder.

......especially steaks and pizza.  :-)

Apples and oranges.........

The Wichata is a low and slow stick burning smoker.......never meant to sear steaks or cook pizza. 

It was a joke, bro.
    LOL.....my sarcasm detector needs work!  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I've heard repeatedly that pellet grills don't give the smoke flavor that people want. A good friend who uses a WSM ate some of his father in laws q off a trager and said it was good but just not what he was used to smoke wise. My brother in law bought a "camp chef" and has some buyers remorse, he said he prefers using his weber kettle for smoke to his pellet grill. fwiw
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Pellets are for feeding chickens. Get a cabinet smoker. 
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Pellets are for feeding chickens. Get a cabinet smoker. 
    Specifics.......?
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Are you thoroughly confused yet, @fishindoc=)

I was, also. Do yourself a huge favor and don't be in a rush. There are LOTS of options out there.........do your own research and choose wisely. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    fishindoc said:
    So here's my thinking....correct me if im out in left field on this one...i like quite alot of smokey flavor and the egg is so efficient at holding heat they don't need to burn much so I've noticed after awhile theres no smoke. The pellet as i understand produces more consistent smoke and is easier to start up. Plus the space is an issue currently. Its not about the set it and forget it because i have the Cyberq. 
    Hey brother, Just because you don't see 'smoke' doesn't mean your not smoking your meat, you are. If you (for example) ever go to a bbq competition take a look around at the pits, you won't see a haze of smoke coming from their pits. 

Thing is, if you still have 'smoke' billowing from your smoker, egg or whatever after a few hours - you just might have a problem.

You will hardly ever see smoke coming out of Tuffy Stone's Jambo offset stick burner once he puts meat in it. He teaches "clean burn" in his classes. It has worked for him!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Read an interview with Aaron Franklin, he's coming out with his own Stick burner next summer, as he say's 'extreme quality' to be priced @ $1400.00.
    Oh great.... That will be the only pit the Franklin fan boys will think produces 'real Q'
    Not a huge Franklin fan, are you?  =)
    No I am not.  The obsession with him is kind of scary actually.  I'm sure he will also come out with his own salt and pepper only rub that people will swear by. 

So salty! Methinks you have never ventured south to actually try something before formulating an opinion about it.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Read an interview with Aaron Franklin, he's coming out with his own Stick burner next summer, as he say's 'extreme quality' to be priced @ $1400.00.
    Oh great.... That will be the only pit the Franklin fan boys will think produces 'real Q'
    No I am not.  The obsession with him is kind of scary actually.  I'm sure he will also come out with his own salt and pepper only rub that people will swear by. 
    While I agree the hype is insane. Can't argue with results- his brisket is pretty amazing.  Not much I will stand in line for 4 hours but this is one I would do again 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

So salty! Methinks you have never ventured south to actually try something before formulating an opinion about it.
     Ha.... I knew the franklin fan boys would come out of the woodwork....

Just cause I think it's lame that whatever he says means that's the only correct way to do things on this forum according to a lot of people?

At least once a day I read a comment from someone saying " Well franklin does this, so that's why I do that"

Franklin uses post oak, so that's why it's the best
    Franklin uses salt and pepper, that's why it's the best

Nothing against, him.  His fan boys are rather annoying.

There's other ways of doing Q than the "Franklin way".  His isn't the only way to produce the "best" kind of barbecue. 

As for trying his food.

Did you read me say his food sucks, or that I have even tried, or that I even mentioned his restaurant?  Please quote me saying anything about his restaurant prior to this post.

Been there about 3 months ago.  While his brisket is outstanding... His ribs, and pork would be considered below average in Kansas City or Carolina.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you are looking for smoke flavor, I would go with a cooker that burns wood sticks and moves air...........stick burner.   t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Doesn't seem much different from BGE fanboys that think the only cooker capable of putting out good food is a BGE.

Fanboys be fanboys.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokingPiney
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not that THIS thread was derailed as is usual for here............ :D
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Also, Deep South Smokers makes some of the nicest gravity feeds that you'll ever run across. www.deepsouthsmokers.com
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Also, Deep South Smokers makes some of the nicest gravity feeds that you'll ever run across. www.deepsouthsmokers.com
    I can't get the website to work right
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OK...more confusion.............look at Assassin gravity feeds. I have one on order. 

http://www.assassin-smokers.com/

I have a 24 on the way in about 8 weeks!  =)
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I had a similar thread to this a while back my main objective in my forum search was to see if any pellet smokers compared to my egg or a stick burner. I wanted to increase my volume of cooking as I need to cook larger amounts that my LBGE can handle. 

I decided on a Green Mountain Grill. Jim Bowie. I just got it last Friday and haven't had a chance to even up is it yet. 

Some me members like them some despise them. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @SmokingPiney -  Dang, you must have Ron's $$ for that rig.  Looks sweet but well out of my league.  Great score.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SmokingPiney -  Dang, you must have Ron's $$ for that rig.  Looks sweet but well out of my league.  Great score.
    I've been saving for about a year for this, coupled with some well time groveling. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Just google it or type it in Facebook if you have that. Solid construction with automotive paint finishes. Definitely work a look. 
  • fishindoc
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Just google it or type it in Facebook if you have that. Solid construction with automotive paint finishes. Definitely work a look. 
    Yeah i did and went to their website.  When i hit the smokers tab nothing loads...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Leanin toward the 640.....cant decide if i have to have a competition cart or not. Ibdont do competition but id like to easily roll it in and out of my garage which has a bit of a lip between floor and driveway. One thing i have read is food can dry a bit with the yoder. Has anyone had that experience?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I love the look of that cart on the yoder. Few weeks ago I was telling wife that was my next smoker but things changed for now.
    the pellet consumption scares me a bit as well.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The Yoder YS1500 produces a smoke profile that is extremely close to a stick burner. It has a very unique design (I think Yoder's other pellet smokers have the same basic design) The design causes a constant stream of thin blue smoke instead of the intermittent puffs traegars and FEC tend to give.  My next cooker is going to be a YS1500. (I compete against a guy pretty regularly that cooks on one and we share recipes and samples)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishindoc
    Options
    The Yoder YS1500 produces a smoke profile that is extremely close to a stick burner. It has a very unique design (I think Yoder's other pellet smokers have the same basic design) The design causes a constant stream of thin blue smoke instead of the intermittent puffs traegars and FEC tend to give.  My next cooker is going to be a YS1500. (I compete against a guy pretty regularly that cooks on one and we share recipes and samples)
    So would say the flavor off the Yoder has a bit more smoke to it than the egg??
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    So would say the flavor off the Yoder has a bit more smoke to it than the egg??
    My yoder 640 didn't have anymore smoke than the egg.. I thought less honestly. 

I would love to try the 1500. I hear it's a pretty sweet rig.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf