Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Hobart Meat Slicer

Options

I haven't done much grilling this summer or posting. I took July off for a bike ride to Newfoundland to BC and everything in between. When I got home, I was thinking I got to smoke the 10 lb pork belly I have but I don't have a way to slice it. I turned to Craigslist for a decent used slicer. I saw a used Hobart 1712 with power feed for $200. It looked like the guards were missing and it was listed as everything working but not so good. After 2 weeks of slow replies to emails, they said they want $65 to just get it out of there. A 30 minute drive, I found the slicer had all the guards and they were removed for the photos. The motor sounded good so I got it. After taking it apart some, I found they ran it low on oil (yes, they have an oil pump) and trashed a brass $39.00 gear only. I cleaned it a bit, put the new gear in it and putting it back together. I want to put a new cord on it and hopefully I can find one at my local hardware store. Otherwise it's done. Here are a few photos as I've been going. Also a photo of what it looked like when I got it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Took it apart some?!? That's a fantastic deal,
    ive been wanting a meat slicer but that looks like a commercial rig, I was just looking for something to slice meat for jerky.

Hope it works out well for you!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited August 2016
    Options

I guess I got a little carried away. I thought with it being in my house, I would wash out all the old oil and grease as it had old oil smell. I've replaced with synthetic grease and still looking for a no/ low stink gear lube. I'm leaning towards a Mobil 1 625 gear lube.

It's a bit on the heavy duty side weighing in at 150 lbs but should be up for my 1 time a month use.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Lucky winner! I emailed on it as well.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Lucky winner! I emailed on it as well.

I guess good timing for me. I didn't even ask them for a reduced price. One day they just said $65.00 and they wanted it gone.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• WeberWho
    Options
    Good deal! I'm glad it found a good home 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I believe they mentioned the slicer was automatic but had issues in gear. Was the strip gear the automatic feed?

I'm not sure how far you're from an Ax Man but that's where I found my power cord for my slicer I'm restoring. It's a nice heavy cord for a buck or two.

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options

The only gear that was bad was the blade drive. I did replace all 3 gears as long as I had it apart and now will be as good as new.

The auto feed worked but with the noise from the blade drive gear, they shut it off and assumed everything was bad.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for the tear down pics!

That's a great looking slicer, well built.  You can actually take it apart and service it!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good find and strong work.  Love my #512.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigguy136
    Options

And it's back together. I smoked a pork loin tonight and in the fridge. I'll slice it tomorrow when it's cold. I was going to get a sharpener for it but the original is $200. I think a Work Sharp WSKTS-KO sharpener would work just as good and I could also use it on my knives.

Here is what it looks like done. There are still a few small items I will get but I wanted to be sure everything was working before spending money on non-essentials. I guess I'll be getting a stainless cart for it.

I think I got a bit carried away when all I wanted to do was slice my 10 lbs of pork belly for bacon. That bacon better be fantastic.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Did you polish it any? I have a 1612 that the carriage and gauge plate are rough. Trying to see how i need to go about it. Likely going to paint the base and all non food contact surfaces. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bigguy136
    Options
    I used scotch Brite and 409 only. I wouldn't paint it as it will eventually start to flake. Take a bit of time with scotch Brite, you will be happy.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    If i paint i will prep with alodine and alumiprep and a zinc primer before a high solids primer then paint. Aluminum is a pain but can be done. I wouldnt paint any food contact surfaces. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    I've replaced with synthetic grease and still looking for a no/ low stink gear lube. 
    Ask and so shall ye receive. This ones smell is akin to a hot blonde covered in sun tan oil rather than gear oil.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    And congratulations on the slicer. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.