Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you diary technique and results?

Options
2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    problem is, all the naysayers don't have the problem with memory, that I do. Too many shots to the head over the years. Drain Bamage.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I used too, but I no longer do it. When I started using the egg it was my first charcoal cooker, so journaling helped me quite a bit. I have since found several "sweet spots" ie I always use the egg at 350 direct for chicken thighs and thin beef like asada.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Speaking of diary cooks, our dry age project ends on 9/17 @bgebrent
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Speaking of diary cooks, our dry age project ends on 9/17 @bgebrent
    Thought of that today brother!  We need to compare side by side, lakeside.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @DoubleEgger @bgebrent if you need an impartial set of judges.... =)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Been trying to get you bitches over.  Jason, as long as you don't have 13 6 hour ball games that weekend, let's do it!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Been trying to get you bitches over.  Jason, as long as you don't have 13 6 hour ball games that weekend, let's do it!
    I think we're gonna be late Sept, early Oct starting tourneys. Let's talk at Ron's in about 12 days. 
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    I try to put all of my recipes into the Paprika app on the iPad.  I then add dated notes to those recipes, when something is worth noting.   The bonus to that app is that auto imports recipes from almost anywhere.  It even successfully grabbed and formatted a recipe from a thread on this forum a few days ago.  

These recipes also synch to my Phone, so that I can grab ingredients in the grocery store, if I have an impulse to make something that happens to be in the app.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I think we're gonna be late Sept, early Oct starting tourneys. Let's talk at Ron's in about 12 days. 
    Brent, 

Jason can give you some lessons in being bitter before our dry age showdown. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brent, 

Jason can give you some lessons in being bitter before our dry age showdown. 
    I'm just hoping to get some cooking ideas from his son.  That said, I'd be bitter if I was gamping too.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have a little Moleskine journal that I record "keeper" recipes into. I jot down those things I cook that the family really likes. I keep general notes for some cooks and detailed notes for some things like bread. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I just post everything I do on here! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Back in my winetasting daze I took very careful notes every time and took the sheets home.  They're around here, somewhere, but not in one place.
    When my local grocery opened a 140-item cheese kiosk, I bought a small notebook to record my thoughts on each week's sampling.  I know where the notebook is, and after 60+ cheeses it has one actual written entry.  
    I suck at this, but (to paraphrase Journey) "I get the joy of rediscovering..."   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I log all my good cooks here on the forum, lol.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    If it's something long, I'll run StokerLog on the PC to graph the cook, add notes to it, and then save a copy. Other than that, I don't keep any notes.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    If it's something long, I'll run StokerLog on the PC to graph the cook, add notes to it, and then save a copy. Other than that, I don't keep any notes.

That's really cool how you can add those notes!
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I havent had the need to write anything down. If i forget what temp to pull something off or a specific recipe the search on this forum answers it half the time.
    Austin, Tx