Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone make Mayonnaise?

Options

Comments

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I saw the same kenji video yesterday also. I was making a BLT already with lettuce and tomato from our local farmers market and my home cured and smoked bacon. Thought I'd give it a whirl and make the mayo too. I thought it was ok, not amazing or life changing but ok. I'm not a huge mayo aficionado though.  Not sure if I would make it again or not.
    Parker, Colorado
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I always have both on hand. Dukes' goes on things, Hellmann's goes in things. Just me. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I always have both on hand. Dukes' goes on things, Hellmann's goes in things. Just me. 
    Well said.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    having experienced salmonella poisoning twice it aint worth it no matter how low the risk is with regard to raw eggs, that is some unbearable suffering
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    +1 for Dukes   so creamy and delicious!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    having experienced salmonella poisoning twice it aint worth it no matter how low the risk is with regard to raw eggs, that is some unbearable suffering
    If I understand eggs and salmonella (which I quite likely do not), doesn't that mean that you would have to eat pasteurized eggs only or cook them until the yolks are completely firm? No more soft yolks unless from pasteurized eggs?

I just pasteurized a few this afternoon. Kind of a PITA to sous vide at 133° for 2 hrs. We'll see how tomorrow's over medium breakfast turns out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I tried it once before after seeing an old Kenji video. It was a complete and utter failure. Threw the glop away and bought a jar of Hellman's. Yesterday, I saw that he had a new video so I decided to try again. Egg, lemon juice, Dijon, salt, pepper and oil. Oh, and a stick blender with a correctly sized container. The container needs to be just a hair larger than the business end of the blender. If it's too large, it won't emulsify for some reason. I think that was what was wrong with my first attempt. Once you get the ingredients in the jar, you'll have mayo in about 10 seconds. You can flavor it too, if desired (garlic, for example).

I used a raw (of course), unpasteurized egg. Probably should have looked for pasteurized (or pasteurized them myself with sous vide, but I didn't. Maybe next time.

Pretty good stuff. If the urge to tinker with that sort of thing strikes, give it a try.

Article and video here... http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html
    Well, miracles never cease. You made something homemade. It took effort. 
    I applaud you, Q. You musta really been bored.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I tried it once before after seeing an old Kenji video. It was a complete and utter failure. Threw the glop away and bought a jar of Hellman's. Yesterday, I saw that he had a new video so I decided to try again. Egg, lemon juice, Dijon, salt, pepper and oil. Oh, and a stick blender with a correctly sized container. The container needs to be just a hair larger than the business end of the blender. If it's too large, it won't emulsify for some reason. I think that was what was wrong with my first attempt. Once you get the ingredients in the jar, you'll have mayo in about 10 seconds. You can flavor it too, if desired (garlic, for example).

I used a raw (of course), unpasteurized egg. Probably should have looked for pasteurized (or pasteurized them myself with sous vide, but I didn't. Maybe next time.

Pretty good stuff. If the urge to tinker with that sort of thing strikes, give it a try.

Article and video here... http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html

wow you sound kinda sarcastic?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think so, but it's really subtle.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    stv8r said:

:rofl: Faith knows me well. Plus she can be a great smart ass when she wants to be. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    If I understand eggs and salmonella (which I quite likely do not), doesn't that mean that you would have to eat pasteurized eggs only or cook them until the yolks are completely firm? No more soft yolks unless from pasteurized eggs?

I just pasteurized a few this afternoon. Kind of a PITA to sous vide at 133° for 2 hrs. We'll see how tomorrow's over medium breakfast turns out.
    I'm not really sure either but I do know there is a risk with straight up raw so the homemade mayo is out; as for the runny eggs I see spooging all over the modern burger & sometimes on a pizza all I can say is I'd rather eat wallpaper paste anyway so it's not an issue
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I hear ya. This pie...

is not for me!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bclarksicle
    Options
    Started making it at home when j went Paleo several years ago. Once you perfect it, it's way better than anything from the store (including Dukes). I'm lucky to get my eggs from a farmer I trust. I think a really great egg helps the final product 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Zippylip I'll see your salmonella and raise you some shigellosis. That was not fun. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Hellman's in midwest, Best Food's in southwest, and Duke's if we can find it.

Still prefer my SWMBOESTSP mayonnaise, but she tailors ot to my liking.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Homemade is great.  Use a Cardinals narrow water bottle and KA stick blender.  OO, dijon, eggs, s and p, roasted garlic, lemon and whatever else you want to toss in.  Super easy.  Tend to prefer more acidity, and like the citrus, vinegar tang.

Never had luck with the Vitamix.

Another tip I have learned is to let the eggs get to room temp, helps with the emulsion.

Keep it in an Italian hinged Fido jar.  
    If it's store bought for recipes, I go with Hellman's.  Miracle Whip is not mayo IMO.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    stv8r said:

:rofl: Faith knows me well. Plus she can be a great smart ass when she wants to be. =)
    Hey, I wasn't even trying!! I think it's nice that you made something homemade!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    Homemade is great.  Use a Cardinals narrow water bottle and KA stick blender.  OO, dijon, eggs, s and p, roasted garlic, lemon and whatever else you want to toss in.  Super easy.  Tend to prefer more acidity, and like the citrus, vinegar tang.

Another tip I have learned is to let the eggs get to room temp, helps with the emulsion.

If it's store bought for recipes, I go with Hellman's.  Miracle Whip is not mayo IMO.
    I found a recipe for something a few years ago and it called for Miracle Whip. I hadn't had any in forever, but they were adamant so I bought some. Don't remember what the recipe was for or whether or not I liked it, but I do remember tasting the MW straight. Ugh! I guess I didn't like it, never bought MW again.

I just found a small white vinegar bottle at the store that I think will work. My stick blender fit fine, once I cut the top off. Just hope I don't have an overflow again. I think I'll try garlic next time, maybe oregano. Or poison ivy - got a bumper crop this year!

I pasteurized some eggs yesterday. Had two for breakfast today so I know that 2 hours at 133° does not cook them. Hopefully, it's enough to kill the critters though. Seems like I've seen pasteurized eggs in the store, but never really paid attention. Never wanted to use raw eggs before.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I guess for me I don't make it because, like ketchup, someone already perfected the recipe.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    haha, I have a recipe for ketchup too. I even use it once in a while. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Focker said:

I found a recipe for something a few years ago and it called for Miracle Whip. I hadn't had any in forever, but they were adamant so I bought some. Don't remember what the recipe was for or whether or not I liked it, but I do remember tasting the MW straight. Ugh! I guess I didn't like it, never bought MW again.

I just found a small white vinegar bottle at the store that I think will work. My stick blender fit fine, once I cut the top off. Just hope I don't have an overflow again. I think I'll try garlic next time, maybe oregano. Or poison ivy - got a bumper crop this year!

I pasteurized some eggs yesterday. Had two for breakfast today so I know that 2 hours at 133° does not cook them. Hopefully, it's enough to kill the critters though. Seems like I've seen pasteurized eggs in the store, but never really paid attention. Never wanted to use raw eggs before.
    I always buy these pasteurized eggs in Publix when I am cooking for elderly or children.. 
    http://www.safeeggs.com/eggs/pasteurized-eggs

• northGAcock
    Options
    I never made mayo or ketchup........however I have made Worcestershire Sauce, and given to neighbors as Christmas / Holiday gifts. Mine did not turn out like L&P....but good in its on way. I even had my own labels made for the bottles.  

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

I should try chopping some creeping charlie next time.  =)
    Thyme is one of my favorite herbs in mayo, and compound butter.  Rosemary seems to be a little too much.  Chipotles in adobo, can add some smokey heat.  Just continue to add the sauce to your liking.  I'm sure the ketchup fans love to add Sriracha, or sriracha ketchup.  I can't do much ketchup or sriracha anymore, ships sailed a while ago.

My eggs come from a co-worker, who then get served to young and old, the runnier the better IMO, and I don't have a Servsafe certificate.....so I'm not much help in the pasteurizing dept.  I would if I had Zippylip's luck.. that's just crazy.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just do it on low speed on the blender. When it breaks it's broke

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A 32oz deli container works well too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Tonight's batch for upcoming BLTs

OO, farm eggs, lemon juice, dijon, kosher, white pepp, roasted garlic, and minced calabrians with some of the sunflower/EVOO oil from the jar.  Would easily put this up against the southern boys' highly coveted Duke's.  :o

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @focker I've never had dukes but yours is still better 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Focker said:
    Tonight's batch for upcoming BLTs

OO, farm eggs, lemon juice, dijon, kosher, white pepp, roasted garlic, and minced calabrians with some of the sunflower/EVOO oil from the jar.  Would easily put this up against the southern boys' highly coveted Duke's.  :o

LOL.....its all good. We just keep it in the frig for our convenience. Would love to try yours.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    The EVOO flavor wasn't to heavy? i made some with EVOO had to throw it out  then made some with light olive oil was fantastic
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM