Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New comer needs more help for pizza recipe. . .

Options
Hog Euker
Hog Euker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a simple Pizza Recipe. I just purchased a pizza stone and I am wanting to do pizza tonight. The recipe on the home page appeared to be more trouble than it was worth. Has anyone tried the recipe submitted on the home page? [p]Thanks in advance, you guys have been great.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Hog Euker,[p]I am not sure if you are referring to Spins very fine recipe - if so it is a 3 part recipe that says New York Style Pizza. While I don't always make the sauce in the recipe, I certainly do use the dough recipe and the method he posted in the recipe. It's not much trouble to make the dough and you can buy any sauce you liek to go on it.[p]You will need more than a single pizza stone to make pizza that doesn't have a burnt crust. I use a stone and a setter but others use a few firebricks or two pizza stones on each other.[p]The link below might help and GFW has a website that has pizza info as well. Please feel free to ask questions if you need more help.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's Egg site and cookbook[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    05_07_0018_40_01_small.jpg
    <p />Hog Euker, Spin's sauce recipe is great - I've used it every time - I make bunches and freeze in plastic bags - all that said, I usually use my bread machine to make the crust - I know others have even used the pre-made (name escapes me) crusts. [p]Iuse a traditional '|__|' firebrick setup and place the pizza stone on top, but then I have a medium and the regular place setters are too large.[p]Good luck - With Pizza on the BGE, Life is GOOD!

[ul][li]Pizza[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]The premade crusts are a good thing to try for your first pizza - it's a good way to make sure your setup will work. The premade crusts are many but I can only think of Boboli. I know there are others as I have tried 2 or 3 different ones and all are good. I use a mixing bowl/mixer rig with dough hooks - much easier I agree. The bread maker would really make it easy.[p]Tim
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Hog Euker,
    e-mail "spin"! He is the resident "pizza expert"! No joke, either![p]Dr. C

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tim M, To each his own but a Boboli would be enough to make me stop eating pizza. Here in the Midwest there is a brand out of St Louis called ROMA and it is a frozen thin crust available in some grocery stores. The ease and consistency is a major point to me. As for sauce I'll echo others - you can't beat Spin's Sauce! Make a pot like Gfw says and freeze it in individual serving size plastic bags. I get enough for 10 pizzas out of a double batch...unless the wife and I get to "sampling" it by the spoonfuls as it is that tasty!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Hog Euker,[p]Welcome to the Egg family. Egged pizza is a real treat.[p]The simplist recipe is to cook a prepared pizza (store bought). Follow the cooking directions and learn what you need to do to make the cook easier in your Egg.[p]Spin[p]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    RRP, Yo Yo Yo, where is the recipe for this sauce you speak of?[p]Roger!

• Hog Euker,[p]Another idea would be to buy the dough made up from a local store that has a deli. Just ask for pizza or French bread dough. They will pull you a ball of dough out of their proofer and wrap it up. We do this on vacation in our small camper so we don't have to take all the equipment for the dough. Pizza is just too good to give up even on vacation.
    The price should be about a dollar and if the dough is placed in plastic wrap and put into the fridge, will last a day or two.[p]Old Dave

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mop,[p]Here it is.[p]Spin

[ul][li]NY Style Pizza[/ul]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Old Dave, good call on the dough.....we have a grocery store here that has dough in plastic bags for sale all the time.
    It`s great stuff, freshly made right there on the premises