Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone make Mayonnaise?

I tried it once before after seeing an old Kenji video. It was a complete and utter failure. Threw the glop away and bought a jar of Hellman's. Yesterday, I saw that he had a new video so I decided to try again. Egg, lemon juice, Dijon, salt, pepper and oil. Oh, and a stick blender with a correctly sized container. The container needs to be just a hair larger than the business end of the blender. If it's too large, it won't emulsify for some reason. I think that was what was wrong with my first attempt. Once you get the ingredients in the jar, you'll have mayo in about 10 seconds. You can flavor it too, if desired (garlic, for example).

I used a raw (of course), unpasteurized egg. Probably should have looked for pasteurized (or pasteurized them myself with sous vide, but I didn't. Maybe next time.

Pretty good stuff. If the urge to tinker with that sort of thing strikes, give it a try.

Article and video here... http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    All the time. I mix mine in a pint mason jar. You can add just about anything you want. I usually throw in a dash of paprika for a little color. If you need to double the recipe, move up to a quart mason jar. Fresh herbs also add a lot of flavor.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Excellent!  How did it taste? I've done aioli and it's great stuff - almost the same thing. 

The rate of salmonella in factory eggs is very very low.... But I agree, I probably should do some of this stuff with pasteurized eggs just in case. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    so how was it compared to hellmans =) you can flavor hellmans too ;) just googled habanero mayo, bet that would be good on a mater sandwich =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    As a committed Dukes user.....I can't see how I could improve on it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99 said:
    Excellent!  How did it taste? I've done aioli and it's great stuff - almost the same thing. 

The rate of salmonella in factory eggs is very very low.... But I agree, I probably should do some of this stuff with pasteurized eggs just in case. 
    i was under the impression that factory eggs were the leading cause of salmonella, and that the strain was pretty virulent

eggs from 'factory' conditions are from birds caged very closely together, which bumps the transmission numbers up.

not being contrary here, just asking if you have seen otherwise, because everything i have ever heard was that factories were where the highest rates were, not the lowest

about five years ago there was an outbreak in the midwest, that forced a recall of a half a billion eggs. and hundreds of people got sick.  was from one farm that serves much of the country

EDIT: found it.  and yes, this is just re the one factory, so not a country wide number: "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) figured the incidence rate for SE from DeCoster-produced eggs was 39 times greater than the national incidence rate. Put another way, FDA figured that an individual’s chance of becoming infected with Salmonella was 1 in 20,000 among eggs nationwide. But for DeCoster-produced eggs [my edit... i.e. super-factory eggs], the odds dramatically dropped to 1 in 516."
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468

@northGAcock, I am with you about the Duke's mayo, but I still make my own depending on what I am using it in. I spent about a year in Dallas long before Duke's was available there, so I had to learn to make it as close to the Duke's flavor as I could. Who knew back in those days that Duke's was not distributed west of the Mississippi river.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    Dredger said:

@northGAcock, I am with you about the Duke's mayo, but I still make my own depending on what I am using it in. I spent about a year in Dallas long before Duke's was available there, so I had to learn to make it as close to the Duke's flavor as I could. Who knew back in those days that Duke's was not distributed west of the Mississippi river.

@Dredger   Don't get me wrong....I do some mayo with added ingredients while eating out.....but do Dukes straight up at home. Truly a gift of living in the south.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @darby_Crenshaw the last time I looked, the CDC put the incidence of salmonella at 1 in 10,000 eggs, of the type that are distributed in big groceries.  I'll take a look and see if I can find any updated numbers.  yeah, that's always the gotcha - if a big factory has an outbreak, a whole bunch of people can get sick at once.  (scallops, anyone?  I probably should get the hep A shots!)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Okay, when I visit Mom, I sometimes buy a jar of Dukes to bring back because I can't get it here and, you know, it's what all the cool kids are eating. I also have a jar of Hellman's as well as the stuff I made last night. Enough mayo to last about two years! =) I just taste tested all three and while they are somewhat different, I don't find one any better than the others. I think, if I added a bit of vinegar or maybe a little more lemon juice to my homebrew next time, I'd be real close to Dukes. Regardless, I'm happy with any of them.

The kicker is, I don't eat that much mayo! I saw Kenji's vid last night and I was bored. =) 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    dukes is a salad dressing like miracle whip. cains is the good stuff you put on a lobster roll =) or eat right from the jar
    fukahwee maine

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Absolutely do.  Although I don't usually bother to break out the stick blender, I typically just use a whisk and a little elbow grease :)

I don't worry about the eggs being pasteurized...I just stick to grass-fed, higher quality eggs.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Carolina Q
    dukes is a salad dressing like miracle whip. cains is the good stuff you put on a lobster roll =) or eat right from the jar
    Nope. Never much cared for Cain's. That's why I didn't mention them. =) And Miracle Whip is just bad!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Nope. Never much cared for Cain's. That's why I didn't mention them. =) And Miracle Whip is just bad!
    if you dont buy much mayo, you might not have noticed hellmans has changed, it was much better a few years ago. hellmans for tuna fish, cains for lobster rolls, miracle is great with salami sandwiches, dukes can stay down south where they dont know what good mayo is for. my sister inlaw was making mayo for a while, it was good but it didnt keep well
    fukahwee maine

• northGAcock
    Fish, I respectfully disagree with your statement. Salad dressing has more sweetness to it. Dukes is far from a salad dressing in my opinion. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    First couple of times I tried, once by hand, twice with a jar blender were failures. The stick blender and container worked well. Not significantly better than Helman's, but I used a very basic recipe.

I came across a copycat recipe for Japanese Kewpie style, which is really good for fish, so I will have to try that.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Agreed, homemade mayo doesn't tend to keep well.  I generally make it when I'm having chicken / tuna / etc. salads.

And just to throw in a curveball here - you can make other emulsions in the same manner.  For example, I've made a balsamic emulsion...great for marinating.  For example, if you are entertaining a vegetarian, you can marinate a portobello mushroom in the balsamic emulsion prior to grilling and it comes out great.

In these cases (since you don't have to use an egg yolk), the mustard is your emulsifier.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2016
    Fish, I respectfully disagree with your statement. Salad dressing has more sweetness to it. Dukes is far from a salad dressing in my opinion. 
    the battle up here is hellmans or cains, cains is a very light tasting mayo, perfect for lobster rolls. helmans rescently did something to ruin a good thing. dukes  could be cains with more vinegar and spices =)
    fukahwee maine

• We make it fairly regularly. Being in the PNW we don't get all that fancy mayonnaise. We just have Miracle Whip. Once we made our homemade mayo the other doesn't compare
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    "Dukes is a salad dressing like Miracle Whip."

You're just trying to start a fight aren't you? :)

Dukes is good. I mainly use Dukes mostly because it is readily available and it has no added sugar. Cains, Hellman, many others add sugar. Who the hell adds sugar to mayo???

I also keep a couple squeeze bottle of Kewpie on hand just because it has a bit of a different flavor. And, it has no added sugar. Who the hell adds sugar to mayo???
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    We make it fairly regularly. Being in the PNW we don't get all that fancy mayonnaise. We just have Miracle Whip. Once we made our homemade mayo the other doesn't compare
    Don't you have Best Foods? Hellman's on the west coast.

Kraft is supposed to be pretty good too though I've never tried it. Anything but Miracle Whip. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    "Dukes is a salad dressing like Miracle Whip."

You're just trying to start a fight aren't you? :)

Dukes is good. I mainly use Dukes mostly because it is readily available and it has no added sugar. Cains, Hellman, many others add sugar. Who the hell adds sugar to mayo???

I also keep a couple squeeze bottle of Kewpie on hand just because it has a bit of a different flavor. And, it has no added sugar. Who the hell adds sugar to mayo???
    havent seen the kewpie mayo but have an idea where to find it. next southern ice storm im scheduling a mini civil war and the north will blowup that dukes plant =) we should of taken care of that the first time =)
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    blasting said:
    I guess if you gotta have it and can't get it locally that is certainly one option.

A pricey one tho - each of those sized jars only cost $3 at my grocer.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You people are strange.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    havent seen the kewpie mayo but have an idea where to find it.
    We have a local Asian market that usually has Kewpie. Weird container, thinnest possible plastic w. the cap on the bottom for squeezing.

Here's a link to the Serious Eats copy cat recipe for Kewpie. Note, it has MSG. I did come across a recipe that used a small amount of miso instead of refined MSG. Don't know where I ran into that.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    You can make great fresh(and flavored) mayonaise so much cheaper than buying commercial brands. About 1/6 the cost with the ingredients already on hand in most pantries.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I make mayo occasionally.  Mayonnaise is to oil as napalm is to petroleum.  It's a gelled fat.  Fat is delicious, btw.
    edited August 2016
    Prefer Duke's Mayonnaise (not salad dressing). As far as making my own... I've made mayonnaise exactly the amount of times you've egged Zas in the last year or so Michael. :smirk:  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    ...in the last year or so Michael. :smirk:  
    Actually, it's been over 3 years now. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    My wife is doing Whole 30 and they have a recipe that was delicious

they key is to make sure all ingredients are at room temp leave the egg on the counter for an hour

DO NOT us EVOO   use "light" olive oil  EVOO taste is way to heavy

for me half a lemon was way to much made it very lemony to much for my taste

Ingredients:

• 1-1/4 cup of light olive oil, divided
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced

Instructions:

• Place the egg, 1/4 cup of olive oil, mustard powder, and salt in a mixing bowl, blender, or food processor. Mix thoroughly.
    • While the food processor or blender is running (or while mixing in a bowl with a stick blender),  slowly drizzle in the remaining cup of olive oil.
    • After you’ve added all the oil and the mixture has emulsified, add lemon juice to taste, stirring gently with a spoon to incorporate.

courtesy of whole30.com
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM