Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adam Perry Lang

Options
 Does anyone have a history with his cookbooks if so is there one better than the other, thanks in advance 
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I think I have them all. This man is a culinary genius. My favorite BBQ book of all times is his book, Serious Barbecue. It brakes things down and explains a lot of the things you have heard in a very clear way. The book also has some outstanding recipes. I highly recommend it.
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I second that. My copy of Serious Barbecue is pretty new to me and I have already used several recipes from it. Its a great read as well.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I think I have them all. This man is a culinary genius. My favorite BBQ book of all times is his book, Serious Barbecue. It brakes things down and explains a lot of the things you have heard in a very clear way. The book also has some outstanding recipes. I highly recommend it.
    Thanks 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I just got Serious Barbecue and am enjoying it.  Some of his recipes involve a lot of work though but I'm sure it's worth it. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What they said. Great information and recipes. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • AEgger
    AEgger Posts: 23
    Options
    I have the Serious BBQ and by far have gotten more compliments from the hubby when I use his recipes!  In fact just did his onion hamburger where he uses a mix of ground chuck, brisket, and sirloin and it was amazing. 
    AEgger; griller of the house in NC; lg and sm egg
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    The BBQ sauce in Serious barbecue is also great - haven't bought BBQ sauce since I started making it.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    I wish Serious BBQ was available via Kindle!   Adam are you listening? 

As much as I love the feel of a real book, especially cookbooks, I'm out of book shelf space ! 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have Serious BBQ and Charred and Scruffed, both are excellent books and full of both recipes and cooking techniques, like the use of a board sauce. Of the two, I would get Serious BBQ first, but you really can't go too wrong, the guy has obvious skill and what he says works well. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My copy of Serious Barbeque is stained and tattered, it my go to for bbq recipes.  I also have his BBQ 25, while less involved, equally as good.  I use it when I am 'in a rush'.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited August 2016
    Options
    After a long holdout, I received Serious BBQ today. After a quick 15 minute glance- it should be called Serious Grilling or "Serious Outdoor Cooking". There are some killer looking recipes in there but it's not really a bbq book. Lots of grilling, braising, a few low and slows. 

Pros: Lots of fancy, flavor-bomb recipes that anyone can do with a little effort. 

Cons: He sauces his (semi-braised) brisket on the pit and there is a whole page devoted to soaking wood...

In total it looks like a very good book. I'm sure the brisket is very good; just not the way I would choose to cook one. Definitely more competition style. Lots of apple juice, honey, butter, beef broth, foil, sauce before, sauce after etc. I'm more like salt,pepper,oak

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokeyw
    Options
    After a long holdout, I received Serious BBQ today. After a quick 15 minute glance- it should be called Serious Grilling or "Serious Outdoor Cooking". There are some killer looking recipes in there but it's not really a bbq book. Lots of grilling, braising, a few low and slows. 

Pros: Lots of fancy, flavor-bomb recipes that anyone can do with a little effort. 

Cons: He sauces his (semi-braised) brisket on the pit and there is a whole page devoted to soaking wood...

In total it looks like a very good book. I'm sure the brisket is very good; just not the way I would choose to cook one. Definitely more competition style. Lots of apple juice, honey, butter, beef broth, foil, sauce before, sauce after etc. I'm more like salt,pepper,oak

You need to read the first part of the book. He goes into detail about why he does what he does. It makes a lot of sense. He was actually just inducted into the BBQ Hall of Fame a couple of years ago.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smokeyw said:

You need to read the first part of the book. He goes into detail about why he does what he does. It makes a lot of sense. He was actually just inducted into the BBQ Hall of Fame a couple of years ago.
    I get it and I've read some of his stuff before. He's a talented guy but it will be a cold dark day in hell before I put apple juice or butter on a brisket. 

• smokeyw
    Options
    smokeyw said:

I get it and I've read some of his stuff before. He's a talented guy but it will be a cold dark day in hell before I put apple juice or butter on a brisket. 

I understand what you're saying. But if you would try it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    Lots of apple juice, honey, butter, beef broth, foil, sauce before, sauce after etc. I'm more like salt,pepper,oak

+1. I get exactly where you're coming from. The best bbq I've had tends to take simple ingredients and let smoke and time do their thing. Not saying it's the only way, but it's how I roll. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    smokeyw said:

I understand what you're saying. But if you would try it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    I have no doubt that it is good, I just have no interest in cooking that style of bbq. There is no way I would spend 20 hours coaxing a brisket through the night to slather it with sauce, honey, butter, apple juice, and whatever else he recommends.  I'll visit Daisy May's and eat it there next time I'm in NYC and I'm sure it will be great. 

The rest of the book looks great and I have already seen 15-20 things I do have interest in. I already use his board sauces and a few other techniques I've picked up from him over the years. 

Oh- and he uses bear claws on brisket!

I kid, I kid (but he really does in the book). He has an unbelievable resume and I'm glad I finally caved and got the book. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Please visit Daisy May's.  It's awesome!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wardster said:
    Please visit Daisy May's.  It's awesome!
    I have no doubt that it is
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I too am a salt, pepper, oak guy...
    Apollo Beach, FL