Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does an open jar of bbq sauce last in the fridge?

Options
Had this thing in the door of the fridge, it's at least 6 months since I opened it. Okay to use? Do these concoctions go bad? How quickly? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I've had open bottles much longer than that and they have never developed a problem! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I'm with @RRP-if it smells good, you are home-free.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    RRP said:
    I've had open bottles much longer than that and they have never developed a problem! 
    Thanks RRP! The wife is telling me to toss it, but it looks and smells good. I'm going to roll with it! We'll see if my GI tract disagrees with that decision tomorrow! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    BBQ sauce is basically ketchup with added seasonings.  I've had an open bottle for ketchup in a fridge for well over a year without issue.  A vinegar based sauce would probably be ok for a VERY long time.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Try to remember to look inside the bottle, and smell it, before you shake it up; no mold, she's probably good.
    I've had jars of sauce from the farmer's market over the winter in my fridge and it's still fine (made locally, so probably no preservatives/multi-syllable chemicals).  The vinegar and sugar probably preserve everything just fine.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks everyone. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Let's see. Sugar (preservative), vinegar and tomato sauce (acidic).

if it were sweet pickles you wouldn't be asking the question. But it is pretty much pickle juice 

my vote? Keeps indefinitely

you may get mold, or the surface may form a skin. Peel those off and proceed! :)

don't sauce with a brush direct from the jar. You can cross contaminate. Better to pour into a bowl, augment if you want, and warm it a bit before brushing onto the meat

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    RRP said:
    Thanks RRP! The wife is telling me to toss it, but it looks and smells good. I'm going to roll with it! We'll see if my GI tract disagrees with that decision tomorrow! 

Toss the wife first......(Just kidding).
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN