Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy on deck

Options
AProf
AProf Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got BGE for Christmas. Used it for chicken and pizza. Whenever I open the BGE the daisy falls off. Is this normal? It strikes me as odd that in order to open the BGE, which has a heat-proof wooden handle, I have to first use a mit to take off the daisy and then find a safe place to set it down.[p]Maybe I should secure it with duct tape <grin>

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    AProf,[p]Make sure the Egg is level.[p]Slowly open dome.[p]This should solve your problem. You can eject that daisy top if you quickly open the dome or if its not level. The duct tape was a guy joke - right?? Maybe you could nail it on. hehehe[p]Tim
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M, Welding works well too.

• AProf
    Options
    Mop,[p]You are right. Duct tape would deface the BGE. No go.[p]My idea is this. I go to the sporting goods store and buy a basketball net. My wife sews up the bottom and we hang it from the railing behind the BGE. When the daisy flys off the BGE, it goes into the net, rather than on to the deck.[p]We can yell, TWO!
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    AProf,
    I like that idea and/or the welding one too! Maybe we should take a vote! Then a recount.....and add the chads in there too!!! :-)))[p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    AProf, LOL, great idea....[p]WHat about this.....get some thick felt, much like the seal used on the Egg itself.
    Glue (with rtv silicon) a small strip all the way around the inside of the metal top.....I have seen that done actually and it works great.....
    Hey, I was just jerkin yer chain with the welding thing there buddy![p]Roger![p]

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Mop,[p] That's how the daisy for the small is made -- it appears to be the same one as for the medium but with felt around the inside to help it seal a bit better. Good idea!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tim M,[p]You know what they say - if you can't duct it, f*** it![p]i.e. - if it's not fixable with duct tape, it's not worth fixing.[p]
  • Tim M
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Actually my small has a slide/daisy that fits like a glove as is, but I have seen folks do that to a medium Egg top on a small. I am now wondering if APROF has a medium Egg with a large Egg slide/daisy top. That would not stay on well and might be the problem. We need to remember to ask people to tell us what the have rather than just saying they have an Egg (large - med -small - mini). [p]Tim
  • AProf
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I have a large BGE. The top is loose as a goose. (What does it mean to be loose as a goose? Flexibility? Promiscuity?)[p]Fearful that the hot daisy will burn my new basketball net, I will try the felt gasket idea.
  • AProf,Spit some Redman on it, will also add some flavor!

• Tim M
    Options
    slide-daisy.jpg
    <p />AProf,[p]I just went out and looked at my diasy and slide/daisy tops and they easily fit down on the top but not "loose as a goose". They don't fit to snug as you have to remove them to snuf the fire out so you want them to come off easily. I have ejected my rain cap a few time but never the daisy tops. The felt might work but you don't have a lot of gap there to work with. Yes, I know some leave the tops on to snuff the fire but my Egg live outside and rain will pour in if left out in the rain. I always use the rain cap.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    Cornfed,
    You have been snowed in too long ---- go cook something before it's too late. [p]Enjoy the snow - we sure wanted it here. Darn the luck.[p]Tim

• AProf
    Options
    Tim M,[p]This was the answer. The felt did not work--it only made the daisy slide off the egg easier.[p]Next step was to put lead tape--for golf clubs-- on the insider perimeter. This helped.[p]The fix, however, was to have the daisy positioned as the picture describes, screw facing the front of the egg. The text says that this will prevent the slide from falling open, as I am sure it will, but it also prevents the daisy from falling on the deck.[p]Thanks for all the suggestions, but what do I do with the Redman?

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    AProf,[p]I am not sure what the exact melting point of lead is but I know it is pretty low. I would reconsider using any lead based material in a cooking environment.[p]My metal top also fits loosely on my large. Luckily, right after I got my egg, I read Tim M's suggestion about aligning the axis of the two screws perpendicular to the axis of the auto lock hinge. My metal top has never come off.[p]Happy New Year
    Carl T

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Just got back from a three hour walk with my neighbor. Did some good deeds along the way in helping to push three cars that were stuck in the snow. Lugged a bunch of stuff back from the store through 17 inches of snow. The way I see it, all that's left to do is light the Egg and chuck on some food. Either a nice big steak or a few sausages (saving the pork loin for tomorrow).[p]Cornfed
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    AProf,
    I like your attitude! :-))) I think and I sure hope you are taking our "snide" remarks with a grain of salt and a big smile! Tim M. is right, we do take things for granted sometimes! Please excuse our attempt at humor at your expense!
    I hadn't noticed your posts before! Welcome to the forum! There are a great number of "GREAT" cooks here! All of them willing to help in any way they can! (and some in ways not recommended!) :-))) It only gets better as you go along! The problem with the errant daisy (or is it a slide-daisy) will look small, once you've used the Egg enough to really see what it will do! Jump in here anytime, and some one will help you solve a problem or give you ideas how to do something!
    Like I said, It is a great group and a lot of great people here! Welcome to the "cult"![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Options
    AProf,[p]""Thanks for all the suggestions, but what do I do with the Redman?""[p]Many things but don't swallow it. done that - been there.[p]Tim