Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Kirkland meat?

Options
2»

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Sounds like a much better meat selection in the US vs Canada.  Only St Louis style ribs here are with some kind of marinating sauce which does not taste very good.  Never seen pork shoulder or brisket.

Steaks are great thought, so all is not lost.
    In London both CostCo stores have back ribs which are petty darn nice.

Gerhard
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I've never seen any warning labels on the steaks here in Jax and never noticed any physical signs of mechanical tenderizing on the meat. I'm buying the whole cryovac prime ribeye these days however and cutting my own steaks. 
    According to Costco these labels are on all their meat that isn't cryovaced 

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    They take the bones out of the pork shoulders, I don't like that. Other than that no complaints really like it!
    I agree 100%!  I won't buy pork shoulders from them but everything else is awesome!!
    Honest question: Why? The bone does nothing except act like a built-in doneness indicator. Otherwise you are paying for something you throw away.
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    They have one of the best organic selections with their kirkland brand, which makes my wife happy. We have had their ground beef, chicken breast, chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, beef ribs, pork ribs, butts, pork loins, and brisket. We are all in due to price for smoking/grilling meats. The question remains, who will be the first to order this for their egg???

http://www.costco.com/.product.100082950.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP
    DArtagnan Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast A-5 Grade
    True story: last year my uncle almost pulled the trigger.  His father was a butcher, so he is a carnivore. Uncle has no kids and is 81. He was diagnosed with cancer last year.  He did well for himself and lives comfortably. He said he will know when it is time to buy it and he said he will have me cook it because he does not trust anyone else in the family to.  Right now he is doing well, thank goodness. 

Hopefully it is not going to be ordered for several more years, and honestly I do not want to cook it.

Personally, I do not think it is worth it, but if that is what he wants to do, who am I to say a word and suggest otherwise. 
    Hopefully you won't cook it for a long time. But when you do it will be a gift of love and caring.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    EggNorth said:
    Sounds like a much better meat selection in the US vs Canada.  Only St Louis style ribs here are with some kind of marinating sauce which does not taste very good.  Never seen pork shoulder or brisket.
    In London both CostCo stores have back ribs which are petty darn nice.

Gerhardd

I've been to both of those stores. I find the prices no better than my local independent grocery store. And higher than the local butcher I go to. 
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The costco whole prime ribeye at 9.99 pound is a great deal. Very large, if you slice about 1 1/2 in thick they will weigh like 1 and 1/2 pd per steak. Foodsaver those one at a time. If you are tight on space. split one with your neighbor or fellow griller. And, cryovac wrapped and not blade tenderized apparently.

PS--questions on meat are never "OT"
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    And they look like this
  • MurrayG
    MurrayG Posts: 28
    Options
    I have had nothing but good experiences with the meat from our Costco store here in Syracuse.  They do carry a good selection of prime cuts.  However, they do not carry the prime brisket.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Dobie said:
    I've never seen any warning labels on the steaks here in Jax and never noticed any physical signs of mechanical tenderizing on the meat. I'm buying the whole cryovac prime ribeye these days however and cutting my own steaks. 
    I never paid much attention to the fine print but I did today. Some show blade tenderized, some don't. See above. 

Jacksonville FL
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    The Prime cryo Ribeye is definatly a winner. I got a 4lb. ribeye cap steak and nine two inch wide steaks ranging from 17 - 22 oz. And one ,1 inch12oz steak for breakfast tomorrow :-) After adding in the three pounds of cut off fat and silverskin , I still only paid $13.72 per pound for prime ribeye steaks and Prime Cap Steak . packaged cap steaks are around $18.99 a pound.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Dobie said:
    NonaScott said:
    Dobie said:
    I never paid much attention to the fine print but I did today. Some show blade tenderized, some don't. See above. 

In the Orlando and winter park store the only thing that isn't is flank steak. You would think that flank steak would benefit the most from being tenderized. I just can't figure out why you would blade tenderize prime cuts like ribeye, strip and tenderloin. I just started buying prime tenderloin at publix only a dollar more per pound.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Dobie
    Options
    @NonaScott I'm just buying the whole cryovac now, big savings per lb. but I agree, it doesn't make much sense.
    @SmokinTiger81 those look great, I like cutting my own too  B)

Jacksonville FL
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I buy pretty much all my meat from Costco. Everyone seems to have covered all the red meats, but I also love their bacon, salmon, chicken breasts, hot Italian sausage. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Dobie
    Options
    @BrookieP I agree, you pay a little more for chicken parts but the packaging is super convenient. I wish my location had 80/20 ground beef though, they only have 88/12. 
    No prime brisket either, only choice flats. Would like to see beef ribs also offered.
    The paper products, garbage bags etc are all we use now too. I can't get out of that place without dropping a couple hundred bucks though. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Shiff said:
    EggNorth said:

Each Costco region has their own rules about what they carry and the local store manager can't do anything about it.  Here in Pennsylvania they don't carry any grade of packer briskets and are just starting to carry a few types of prime meat cuts.  It also annoys me that they insist on blade tenderizing their non-cryovac meat.
    Im stuck with you here in Albuquerque Costco does not sell any packers of any kind and the local grocery store is just ridiculously priced
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Wesg
    Wesg Posts: 20
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Got one of the best prime tri tip there. The marbeling was outta this world and when we ate it tasted like butter. Better than my butcher.  
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I love their pork loins - around the $20 mark.  Cut into 1/4ths and can experiment with rubs and stuff.
    I also get their bone-in pork shoulders.  Won me a second place in a BBQ contest at work a few years back!  And my 9 yo nephew - the pickiest eater on the planet - LOVES my pulled pork!
    +1 for Kirkland/Costco meat!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • vegas slim
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    They take the bones out of the pork shoulders, I don't like that. Other than that no complaints really like it!
    if you have a business costco near you check them out as the one business store in our valley sells bone in pork butts
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Dobie said:
    The punctures are very small - you would not be able to see them.  The warning labels are now required by the USDA (since the beginning of the year).  Costco had been voluntarily using the labels for the past few years.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I am uneducated about the whole "blade tenderized" thing.  What's the deal?
    War Damn Eagle!
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited August 2016
    Options
    fishepa said:

I am uneducated about the whole "blade tenderized" thing.  What's the deal?
    Google Jaccard meat tenderizer. Then imagine a machine that does this on an industrial scale.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    My only complaint is too many cuts are boneless, such as the pork shoulder, prime rib and chuck roasts. The pork loin chops that are boneless are a pass for me. 

I don't think I've ever seen tenderized steaks. IMO their Kirkland frozen meatballs are horrible ( my husband wanted to try them, because sometimes I don't feel like making meatballs). 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Shiff said:
    EggNorth said:

Each Costco region has their own rules about what they carry and the local store manager can't do anything about it.  Here in Pennsylvania they don't carry any grade of packer briskets and are just starting to carry a few types of prime meat cuts.  It also annoys me that they insist on blade tenderizing their non-cryovac meat.
    Im stuck with you here in Albuquerque Costco does not sell any packers of any kind and the local grocery store is just ridiculously priced
    They have prime grade packers in Lubbock. It's a haul though. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    wow - reading nothing but positive reviews here.  I am costco member but cant even think of last time I purchased meat here.  My wife is super selective . . and thinks costco meat = mega farm crap quality.  She likes our local butcher who uses local farms, grass fed beef, etc.  I gotta get persuasive (or sneak it in) because I know this forum appreciates quality meat !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”