Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spinalis

Options
eggtopia
eggtopia Posts: 91
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Went by the local butcher to create a special meal.  In the case they had frozen/vacuum packed spinalis muscle(how they were labeled) so I decided to give it a shot.  It required a bit of cleaning/trimming.  Here are the results:

It cooked much faster than other cuts.  Also it shrunk a lot in length and width, however plumped up as it cooked.

Comments

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Wow.

I've always said that if I ever get married it will be to someone who promises to remove all the silver skin for me whenever I need him to. 

You wouldn't happen to be male and single?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Very nice, cooked to perfection.  Next to the ribeye that is my favorite cut. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks great, you sure did a number on that silver skin.  Bet it tasted great too!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Best part of the cow IMHO.  I've been looking to find it for a while here (Ottawa) without any luck.  I found some already cleaned and rolled at Costco in Syracuse NY last weekend.  In retrospective, it's a good thing they don't sell it here....  They are awesome, that's what I had for diner all week, SWMBO doesn't like them.  60$US is 80$CDN

@paqman: Those are beautifully marbled!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @paqman: Those are beautifully marbled!
    @GrateEggspectations Just like me :)

Options
    Looks great!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Just finished cutting my first one too. This came off of a Costco , Prime Ribeye.

More meat please !! :-)
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Wow.

I've always said that if I ever get married it will be to someone who promises to remove all the silver skin for me whenever I need him to. 

You wouldn't happen to be male and single?
    Yes Male, Single no, but the wife is pretty understanding, J/K lol.

paqman said:
    Best part of the cow IMHO.  I've been looking to find it for a while here (Ottawa) without any luck.  I found some already cleaned and rolled at Costco in Syracuse NY last weekend.  In retrospective, it's a good thing they don't sell it here....  They are awesome, that's what I had for diner all week, SWMBO doesn't like them.  60$US is 80$CDN

I was in the local Costco here in Pompano Beach.  They did not have this cut.  Interestingly enough they did have "rib eye steaks" with the cap removed.   I would have loved to pay $19/lb.  i paid almost double, had to do the work, and it was frozen.

XLentEGG said:
    Just finished cutting my first one too. This came off of a Costco , Prime Ribeye.

I have thought about doing this as well as I always get the whole roast from Costco and cut my rib eyes from it.  One of my issues is that I don't know what I would do with the rest of the rib eye.  I don't think it would make a good steak without the cap.  I think maybe Philly style cheese steaks, but that is awefuly expensive meat for a cheese steak.  
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    the best of the best cheesesteaks are made with thin sliced rib eye. As long as you have access to great rolls then it's well worth it. Enjoy either way n
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    @eggtopia... Here are some Ribeyes that I cut after the Cap Steak was removed...They are two inches thick.
    More meat please !! :-)