Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

350 dome, but 560 griddle struck me as weird

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
Tonight was smash burgers on my small using a 9" Lodge Cast iron griddle on it's 13' grate. I purposely left ample time to bring it all up to temperature but after 35 minutes and the dome only said 350 I got out my IRID and read the temp on the CS griddle. It was 560, and I only wanted 450, but it was getting late. Fat in the 80/20 Smashburgers fried up like crazy!  Oh well they turned out ALMOST ok...and yet another lesson learned using a BGE!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Only thing I can figure Ron is the CI was sucking up all the heat, leaving little to flow around it and up into the dome. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Next time try giving it an hour to preheat and hey the dome/probe temps even out. 

When was the last time you checked your dome probe temp. 
  • RRP
    Options
    bigbadben said:

More often than what you know, but thanks for your advice...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Makes one ponder doesn't it :whistle:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    Makes one ponder doesn't it :whistle:
     ;) 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the reason is the griddle is exposed to the radiant heat from the burning lump that the dome thermo is not exposed to. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    Next time try giving it an hour to preheat and hey the dome/probe temps even out. 

For an indirect setup, yes.  If direct, then no.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have found that my CI pans run about 200 degrees hotter than the dome temp consistently. I usually preheat the pan for about 30 minutes. This is a 10" griddle on a large, so plenty of clearance around it with no airflow restrictions. Gotta love those IR guns.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is how grill grates work. They amplify the heat, so to speak. Run your egg at 300 while burning just a little bit of lump and sear on your grill grates @ 600-700. The anodized aluminum is even better than cast iron at conducting the heat. This means you will consume far less fuel to achieve the same or better results. I use the grill grates as an example because of their popularity, but the CI that I personally use does a similar thing, only not as effectively. 

More importantly, how and where are the said burgers??? No pics Ron?
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I think the reason is the griddle is exposed to the radiant heat from the burning lump that the dome thermo is not exposed to. 
    Here's your answer right here. The dome is working off convection alone, your cast iron is getting hit with the radiant heat coming off the coals 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...