Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about egging smaller briskets .. point vs flat

Hub
Hub Posts: 927
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
I've always bought full-size but slightly smaller briskets and egged the low n slow.  They always turn out great but even the smaller ones are way too much food for just my wife and I, and our two little dogs.  Some always ends up going to waste.  Based on a thread I saw here recently, I've decided to purchase a much smaller point or flat, and give it a go.  My local Food Depot has fresh points and fresh flats .. about four pounds each, and packaged separately.  I've never separated the point from the flat when I've egged my full-size briskets.

I'm having trouble deciding which to buy and egg this weekend.  Anyone have thoughts of the advantages of one vs the other? I'm guessing the flat my look better presentation wise but the point my have more flavor? Thoughts? Suggestions? I don't want to do both ... unless there is a really good reason to.  I just want to do a small "no waste" cook.  Thanks.
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Point all the way, the flat needs the point to baste it as it cooks from what I understand.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I'd cook the point and make some burnt ends.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    @lousubcap can offer a lot of advice here, steered me on my one and only packer cook
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    When I do a Brisket I get a large one every time. Granted there are just the wife and I in the house but after eating the Brisket as it comes off the BGE we cut the rest into chunks and freeze them for later meals. We take one out later and put it into a crockpot with some juice on medium and warm it up. Makes for great meals without a lot of fuss.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Point if not a packer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    If you're interested in a partial brisket, I'd advise going with a point. The higher fat content will help it to keep from drying out...good luck!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited August 2016
    @feef706 - thanks for the nod, but you executed the cook.  As noted, packers are where all the general experience lies although I have wrestled with many a straight flat cook.  That said, I would go with the point all the way.
    The marbling will yield some very moist and tender eats.  If you go with the point, in addition to the "probes like buttah feel" I would run it up to around 205-210*F to render off the excessive fat basing that call on what it looks like before you start the cook.
    Disclaimer - never have cooked a solo point so all above with a grain or more of salt. FWIW-
    @Hub - I have been known to eat left-over brisket for 8-9 days after cook.  The cook is what I enjoy, the beef eats are just a bonus.  If you enjoy the cook, you can find a way to consume the fruits of the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Not nearly the expert on brisket as my underwater "Go A's" friend, but the point to me is ideal for Chili and burnt ends. The flat always comes out fine if you keep the temps down and go a little longer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    @Skiddymarker -  if you have to sacrifice something for chili, next time go with the flat.  The point is pure beef goodness-not sure how it somehow got chosen for burnt ends but all I can try is to convert one at a time  ;)
    And regarding the A's-thought we could put some distance on the Halo's then this friggin run.  Gonna be a race to the end for the basement.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my thread.  I'm a bit surprised.  Before I posted I did an online search and the result was pretty much 50/50.  There was a pretty determined point crowd and a pretty determined flat crowd.  Here, the point crowd is overwhelming.  Interesting ...
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    @Hub - the point is a much more forgiving cook given the high fat content so you can hit the finish with a much wider window for success.  But those who endorse the flat are likely equally able to justify their choice.  Just have at it and enjoy.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Hub said:
    I've always bought full-size but slightly smaller briskets and egged the low n slow.  They always turn out great but even the smaller ones are way too much food for just my wife and I, and our two little dogs.  Some always ends up going to waste.  Based on a thread I saw here recently, I've decided to purchase a much smaller point or flat, and give it a go.
    I get a full packer, and cut the flat where it meets the point (the "flat only" portion). The flat I cut off becomes curry or chili, and the remaining flat/point combo goes on the egg.  As a bonus, It looks great when you slice it.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    lousubcap said:
    @Skiddymarker -  if you have to sacrifice something for chili, next time go with the flat.  The point is pure beef goodness-not sure how it somehow got chosen for burnt ends but all I can try is to convert one at a time  ;)
    And regarding the A's-thought we could put some distance on the Halo's then this friggin run.  Gonna be a race to the end for the basement.  
    Have a packer in the freezer that will have its number come up for next weekend - given your outstanding choice in ML:B, I will have to trust your judgement.....as always a treat!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @Hub  You should get the part you prefer.  When you cook a full brisket, which end do you go after first? In this household its the point, all day any day.  The flat gets left for next day sandwiches. When I can get a brisket split, I take home the point and leave the expensive flats for someone else.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.