Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The worst "bbq" I've ever tasted.

Options
So my wife stopped by a local joint on the way home and got supper. She got me a chopped pork plate. The stew was good, as was the coleslaw, but the meat was awful. It was just a big pile of flavorless white meat, chopped up and served dry, with a tiny cup of sauce on the side. This stuff had no flavor at all, none. It had no sign of color, bark or even a hint of smoke and I am guessing it was never anywhere near a smoker. 
Their chicken was moist, tender and flavorful. Nothing wrong with it.
Do you supposed I have gotten so used to my own, moist, juicy, flavorful and tender pulled pork that I am just overly judgemental? I really think this stuff might have just been boiled and chopped then they call it BBQ because it was served with sauce. An entire bottle would not have helped. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Yup. You're a BBQ snob. Welcome to the Club! 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well, my worst Q was in Indiana, just north of Indianapolis and off 69. I ordered brisket, sausage, greens and beans. Brisket was underdone and stiff as a board, and sausage was overdone and dry. Greens were mush and beans were straight from the can. Now I will always try Q one more time just because I try to be fair. Everyone has a bad night. But they better bring their A-game for the second trip.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've got you beat. This predates my cooking/bbqing hobby, but years back my wife and I went up to PA to visit my folks for a long weekend. We went to Hagerstown (MD) speedway on Saturday, and I got a BBQ sandwich. Sign on the concession stand said "best BBQ around"

it was a sloppy joe. 
    In Alabama anytime I see a sign proclaiming Alabama's best BBQ it is like an omen for some really poor BBQ.
    Some of the worst of the worst are places proclaimed to be the best in newspaper ran voting poles.
    A good sloppy joe would be better than what these places serve.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As above, most likely but I try not to end up in those situations.  I have operated using the house rule "Never order in a restaurant that which you cook at home." Definitely opens the menu options.
    I will make an exception for a renowned chef/restaurant and cannot recall when I was disappointed with that move.
    And yes, Franklin's and Q crawling in Austin is one of the few destinations I have to fulfill.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Boileregger
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Dicky's??  =)
    We have a bunch of Dicky's BBQ fast food joints around.  Are you recommending I pass?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You can't always believe what you read on a restaurant's sign.....
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaja9AE2rs
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've got you beat. This predates my cooking/bbqing hobby, but years back my wife and I went up to PA to visit my folks for a long weekend. We went to Hagerstown (MD) speedway on Saturday, and I got a BBQ sandwich. Sign on the concession stand said "best BBQ around"

it was a sloppy joe. 
    Haha!!! I did the same thing a few months ago. I was in small town of a couple hundred people and lunch was served in a basement of a church. The hand written sign said: BBQ Sandwich - $2.75. I assumed it was a pulled pork sandwich of sorts. I was excited to see a pulled pork sandwich for being in a basement of a church of a town of 200 people. Than my wife goes, "you realize that's a sloppy joe right?" Sure enough there comes my sloppy joe being slid on the counter. Dang I thought. I soon found out bbq sandwich is another word for sloppy joe. :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Dicky's??  =)
    No, a well established one location mom and pop place. Had good ribs there in the past, and again, the chicken tonight was good. Never tried their chopped pork before, and won't make that mistake again.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Yes - a chain called Famous Dave! Tried to eat their sh*t once and walked out! Never been back. What the h*ll Dave was famous for didn't carry through to his franchise operations IMO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dicky's??  =)
    We have a bunch of Dicky's BBQ fast food joints around.  Are you recommending I pass?
    It's not the best or the most real bbq I've had but far from the worst. I've ate at a few authentic bbq restaurant's and would have taken Dickys over it. I eat just about anything and usually never complain so I'm not the best candidate to answer this question. I'd eat Dickys before an Applebee's or some other basic restaurant. I'd eat just okay bbq before a fake steak at a restaurant. Just my opinion though.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Down here the big deal is Sonny's BBQ.  What dried out flavorless crap.  The Spouse honored me a month or two ago when she said she did not want to go out, no one makes a steak better than me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yes - a chain called Famous Dave! Tried to eat their sh*t once and walked out! Never been back. What the h*ll Dave was famous for didn't carry through to his franchise operations IMO.
    Too be honest most people here in the Midwest don't know what good bbq is. Typically Famous Dave's is some type of rustic building that makes you feel like you're in some type of bbq mecca. They sell it well and the customers buy it. They believe that's what bbq should taste like. Dave is actually a winner of all kinds of bbq championships. Hard to sell good Q when it gets franchised out to the hustle and bustle of the restaurant world

Actually a good read @RRP about Dave Anderson:

http://m.startribune.com/famous-dave-s-founder-is-opening-a-new-barbecue-restaurant/298392971/

Minnesota
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    McRib sandwich ...
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It's sad I am pretty sure there are more bad BBQ places out there than good.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    Too be honest most people here in the Midwest don't know what good bbq is. Typically Famous Dave's is some type of rustic building that makes you feel like you're in some type of bbq mecca. They sell it well and the customers buy it. They believe that's what bbq should taste like. Dave is actually a winner of all kinds of bbq championships. Hard to sell good Q when it gets franchised out to the hustle and bustle of the restaurant world

Actually a good read @RRP about Dave Anderson:

http://m.startribune.com/famous-dave-s-founder-is-opening-a-new-barbecue-restaurant/298392971/
    I actually like their BBQ chicken ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Dicky's??  =)
    To each his own, buy I'd recommend you run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.  I feel sorry for those who think that is BBQ.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Dicky's??  =)
    It's not the best or the most real bbq I've had but far from the worst. I've ate at a few authentic bbq restaurant's and would have taken Dickys over it. I eat just about anything and usually never complain so I'm not the best candidate to answer this question. I'd eat Dickys before an Applebee's or some other basic restaurant. I'd eat just okay bbq before a fake steak at a restaurant. Just my opinion though.
    Sounds good 'nough for me.  I like most foods.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Dicky's??  =)
    Sounds good 'nough for me.  I like most foods.
    The few times I've stop in I've had the pulled pork sandwich. So I cant comment about ribs or brisket but the pulled pork been okay. As long as you remember it's fast food and not Franklins it will fill your belly. Plus a free soft serve ice cream machine! Can't hate that!

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    Dicky's??  =)
    I'm surprised Dickey's is still in business around here.  One of the employees mistook the alkaline cleaning crystals for sugar, and filled up the iced tea container.  A middle-aged woman took a swig, and badly burned her mouth, esophagus, and stomach, and nearly died.  The local news found some surveillance camera footage of her drinking it, and it wasn't fit to be shown.

She's okay now, thank goodness.  And I can't feel that Dickey's as a company should go out of business for a single mistake by a teenager, but I'm still surprised they survived that episode.  

I've had their barbeque (with tea!) once, I'll pass in the future.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Famous Dave's and Dicky's can definitely be hit and miss but they are FAR from the worst BBQ that I've had the opportunity to eat as well. Overall, I've been happy with the quality in the few times I've been to either one. 

One of the worst Q experiences I've had was at Rudy's in TX. I've had great Q at Rudy's in Austin but the El Paso location was absolutely some of the worst FOOD I've had, let alone BBQ. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Botch said:
    Dicky's??  =)
    I'm surprised Dickey's is still in business around here.  One of the employees mistook the alkaline cleaning crystals for sugar, and filled up the iced tea container.  A middle-aged woman took a swig, and badly burned her mouth, esophagus, and stomach, and nearly died.  The local news found some surveillance camera footage of her drinking it, and it wasn't fit to be shown.

She's okay now, thank goodness.  And I can't feel that Dickey's as a company should go out of business for a single mistake by a teenager, but I'm still surprised they survived that episode.  

I've had their barbeque (with tea!) once, I'll pass in the future.   
    Same thing happened to a guy I used to work with except they used it in lieu of salt on the fries. This was at Ted's Montana Grill
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    On the divest to subject of Frankin's, I'll be down in Austin in a couple of weekends. What's the best (2-3) things they have on their menu? 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    On the divest to subject of Frankin's, I'll be down in Austin in a couple of weekends. What's the best (2-3) things they have on their menu? 
    I've not yet been to Franklin's, but if I'm gonna stand in line 4+ hours, I'm ordering the Party Sampler Plate for Thirty, and make damn sure I taste everything!  

The best barbeque I've had was in Austin, but I can't remember the names of the two places (TDYs to Lockheed Martin); just look for a full parking lot, and sunlight coming through the siding.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @NorthPilot06, it is all really good. You have to get the brisket. And the chopped beef sandwich may be the best bite of food I've ever eaten. The sausage and ribs are great. I can't honestly say the pulled pork is any better than anybody else's. 

I guess I'm not much help. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Dicky's??  =)
    Dicky's is alright in a pinch. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The worst "bbq" I have ever tasted was my first time.  No books, no internet, no clue.  A cheap offset and I tried some asparagus as a side for some steaks.

I bet the mesquite charcoal left over would have tasted better.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    oh gosh... dicky's is AWFUL.... I have no idea how it's still in business.  That may be the worst bbq I've ever tasted.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    This may be what Dave is famous for:

https://www.amazon.com/Famous-Daves-Signature-Pickles-Pickle/dp/B0086HPHM0

I'm not recommending you buy them from there. That price is ridiculous. It is a good pickle though :)