Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setup inside the egg

Options
Hey everybody... Just getting back to some normalcy again and catching up on pages and pages of posts.  I went thru the whole mold in my egg thing and took care of that but was wondering....  Is there a better way to setup "the works" inside the egg?  By "the works" I mean the ring around top for plate setter and the plate setter legs to be placed?  I know I've read on here that the back of the egg gets most air flow so if a leg is positioned towards back of egg at hinge does this slow air flow to make low and slows better? Or maybe it does not matter??  Should i turn it so the legs miss the back completely???  Thanks!!

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    doesn't matter. the airflow opening is the same regardless of where it is. It is after all, a 360* circle. A+B+C = C+B+A  no matter how you look at it. 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    I have mine setup with the leg at the back by the hinge. It does seem to help with that hotspot. YMMV. Good luck!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    On the rair times I use platesetter vs adj rig I normally place one of the legs dead center in the back as you stated above. My Eggs do normally run hotter in the back so it does help with the rear hot spot.
    It also gives me a clear drop zone in the front to ad chips or chunks of smoke wood if needed. It also gives me a protected place on left and right to run temp probe wires from the other 2 legs. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    I saw a YouTube video on how to light and set up the egg and the guy recommended having a plate setter leg opposite the vent in the firebox to reduce the hot spot in the back. Also said to have even spacing between the fire box and fire ring and the inside wall of the egg the whole way around for good airflow.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    Or maybe it does not matter??
    Correct.  =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Yes sure does seem like a hotspot in the back(gamason).  Dont normally add wood chips although i can see where that would make sense(Photo Egg) and also with the temp probes.  NonaScott i will try and find that youtube video... Thanks!   Has to be some logic to it i would think
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    I recently got a new fire ring under warranty. The new one has pre cut spots for the platesetter legs, where the old one did not. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!