Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dropped the youngest off at college

we needed some comfort on Wednesday evening, so here's what we did. Stopped a Kroger and picked up a FI and asperagus. Poured a couple drinks and enjoyed a cigar while listening to Pandora. 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited August 2016
    Nice looking meal - love FI, need to do that more.  Congrats on getting the last one halfway out the door.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    I feel your pain. I still remember the "trail of tears" after dropping my daughter off at college years ago. Got one left who is a Junior in high school. That's going to be tough taking him to college when the time comes,
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Well cooked @pgprescott  FWIW, if your home is anything like mine, stay close to "mom"...  Last one off to college was hard on me but really hard on my wife - and I screwed up and didn't realize.  Congrats though - big step and achievement for your child and for you as parents!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great cook right there.  You have got the FI cook technique down.  No comment on the college deal...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You sir, know how to be self destructive in the best ways. My buddy dropped his oldest off yesterday and called me on the way up. I think he had been intentionally dehydrating himself all week in preparation to fight the tears. 

Im already dreading that day and mine is climbing out of a booster seat asking for Little Mermaid band aids. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    We did that last year. There's a trail of tears from Peabody Conservatory to Camden as we just walked aimlessly until we settled into a wine bar. 

He subsequently decided he is not a musician. Tonight he and I leave for Tulane (he will study BME) and we have added a few days on the front end for father/son (and @nolaegghead) time on Grand Isle.  When my loving bride arrives a few days later we'll probably "serious up" and at the time we actually leave him I'm guessing it will be as sad as last year just because it's a new place. For some reason, sending him back to Baltimore seems like it would be less emotional.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    My folks gave me a map and watched me drive my Datsun away. It was only 200 miles and I had cash and a quarter for a pay phone.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    dropping 'em off at college is one of those days you'll always remember.   seams like a simple task but ever so life changing, for both young and old.

I dig the meal, perfect doneness of the flat iron and my favorite sides.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    My youngest are twins so I'll go from 2 to none overnight.....that's going to be tough alright.  But they're 10 so I have a few years left (even though it'll be here in the blink of an eye).  I feel for ya brother!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Both of mine have long since graduated... Every year, Daughter required me to rent a small trailer or minivan (seats removed) that was stuffed to the gills.  Son's stuff would fit in back of an SUV (seats up).  Was really glad when they were  both done with school.

Now I am the proud grandparent of 3.5 grand kids. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Legume said:
    Nice looking meal - love FI, need to do that more.  Congrats on getting the last one halfway out the door.
    Ah thanks. Truth is they are welcome anytime. I'm blessed that way. 
  • pgprescott

tgs2401 said:
    I feel your pain. I still remember the "trail of tears" after dropping my daughter off at college years ago. Got one left who is a Junior in high school. That's going to be tough taking him to college when the time comes,
    It's the most important job we have and this is a big part of it. Good luck to you and yours!
  • pgprescott

da87 said:
    Well cooked @pgprescott  FWIW, if your home is anything like mine, stay close to "mom"...  Last one off to college was hard on me but really hard on my wife - and I screwed up and didn't realize.  Congrats though - big step and achievement for your child and for you as parents!
    It was harder in her for sure. Thanks for the words of encouragement. 
  • pgprescott
    Thanks @lousubcap. It's once a week here. 
  • pgprescott

You sir, know how to be self destructive in the best ways. My buddy dropped his oldest off yesterday and called me on the way up. I think he had been intentionally dehydrating himself all week in preparation to fight the tears. 

Im already dreading that day and mine is climbing out of a booster seat asking for Little Mermaid band aids. 
    Sitting out back now. Normally she would be here discussing the day and current events etc. I'll hav to discuss with the outdoor former stray cats! Good grief!
  • pgprescott

Foghorn said:
    We did that last year. There's a trail of tears from Peabody Conservatory to Camden as we just walked aimlessly until we settled into a wine bar. 

He subsequently decided he is not a musician. Tonight he and I leave for Tulane (he will study BME) and we have added a few days on the front end for father/son (and @nolaegghead) time on Grand Isle.  When my loving bride arrives a few days later we'll probably "serious up" and at the time we actually leave him I'm guessing it will be as sad as last year just because it's a new place. For some reason, sending him back to Baltimore seems like it would be less emotional.
    Sounds like a winner. Be careful with the little one around the hippie!
  • pgprescott

things must be different nowadays. after they
    'dropped me off" and left, i went out to the car and grabbed my cooler of ice cold molsen goldens and brought it back to the room, they went home and knocked my bedroom walls down =)
    Hey, different stokes and all. Not at all our relationship. It's all good though. Onward and upward!
  • pgprescott

tjv said:
    dropping 'em off at college is one of those days you'll always remember.   seams like a simple task but ever so life changing, for both young and old.

I dig the meal, perfect doneness of the flat iron and my favorite sides.

t
    Thanks Tom. She's a winner and will be fine. It's our baby though. Mom was broke up for a bit. Bitter sweet. 
  • pgprescott

My youngest are twins so I'll go from 2 to none overnight.....that's going to be tough alright.  But they're 10 so I have a few years left (even though it'll be here in the blink of an eye).  I feel for ya brother!!

Oh dear!
  • pgprescott

onedbguru said:
    Both of mine have long since graduated... Every year, Daughter required me to rent a small trailer or minivan (seats removed) that was stuffed to the gills.  Son's stuff would fit in back of an SUV (seats up).  Was really glad when they were  both done with school.

Now I am the proud grandparent of 3.5 grand kids. 
    We got all her stuff in our Murano, but her Chinese roommate was overwhelmed by all the stuff we brought. She could fit her life on her back.  

Enjoy the grandparenthood. Cheers!
  • pgprescott

My folks gave me a map and watched me drive my Datsun away. It was only 200 miles and I had cash and a quarter for a pay phone.
    Get we done eh? 
  • things must be different nowadays. after they
    'dropped me off" and left, i went out to the car and grabbed my cooler of ice cold molsen goldens and brought it back to the room, they went home and knocked my bedroom walls down =)
    @fishlessman
    I have to say that was the funniest damn posts I have ever read on here.  That's the way it was when I was a kid also.  Great post.  Tom
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    The ol' Flank standby looks great Pete.
    It's hard to process now, but good stuff lies ahead for the young lady.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

dropped mine off at Clemson last Friday...I was the one crying cause I wanted to go there so bad  years ago and now I see what a great place it is.  Sign me up to further my education any day of the week!!!!  Greatest years of a youngsters life when they attend the college they choose for education and environment.  I'm sure you will notice a difference when they come back home after fall semester...and it will be for the better....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pgprescott
    pasoegg said:

dropped mine off at Clemson last Friday...I was the one crying cause I wanted to go there so bad  years ago and now I see what a great place it is.  Sign me up to further my education any day of the week!!!!  Greatest years of a youngsters life when they attend the college they choose for education and environment.  I'm sure you will notice a difference when they come back home after fall semester...and it will be for the better....

I too was struck by the opportunities and the overall environment. Just awesome. 
  • pgprescott

Focker said:
    The ol' Flank standby looks great Pete.
    It's hard to process now, but good stuff lies ahead for the young lady.   

No doubt Brandon. You'll be here sooner than you think my friend. Enjoy the ride!!!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited August 2016
    Just back from "dropping my daughter off" as well.
    She is now a freshman at Baylor U, Waco. I feel numb. 
    Friends invited us to dinner, but declined. 
    My poor lil dog has not realized that his fav person in the whole wide world will not be back for a long time. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• pgprescott
    Aviator said:
    Just back from "dropping my daughter off" as well.
    She is now a freshman at Baylor U, Waco. I feel numb. 
    Friends invited us to dinner, but declined. 
    You worked her whole life to instill the values and ethics she needs to do just what she is doing. Congrats! Goes by in a flash though, huh?
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Gonna have to try the FS soon, that looks fine.

When our son went off to college,  he drove himself and a buddy up there.  It was only about 225 miles away.

About a month after he had left we were having a telephone chat.  He talked about coming home for the weekend and I told him we would have the guest room ready.  He said, "I'll just sleep in my room".  It was then that I told him he had to use the guest room, because his room was now the "Gym".  He was incredulous about that one.  I went on to explain that going off to college was the beginning of the next (adult) phase of his life and moving back home was not an option.

I don't think he ever believed me until he came home the first time and found the "Gym" in his old room.  He enjoyed the gym, but to this day (10 years later) he says he can't believe how fast we accepted that he was gone from the house.

The"empty nest" syndrome didn't last long around our house for sure.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.