Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lesson learned

Options
Down here in dirt dobber land make sure to keep egg closed up tight when not in use. Last Friday after cooking  I left the upper and lower vents open to burn off the last of the charcoal. Forgot to close up the next morning. Last night I went to cook dinner and found a dirt dobber nest inside the lid.

Parker County, Texas

LGE

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    We call them mud daubers here.  That was fast, guess the liked the smell and closed in area.  I take it you didn't use wasp spray?  Did you get stung?

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Yeah, we've got mud daubers here that regularly infest my garage.  Do those things sting?  I've never had the misfortune...
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Those things are murderous bastards. You ever break open their nest and see all the dead bugs its been killing and collecting? Had one on my egg table who was particularly skilled in the art of murder.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    what is a dirt dobber .... City life has a completely different meaning 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    McStew said:
    what is a dirt dobber .... City life has a completely different meaning 
    they look like wasps and build mud/dirt nests really cool looking.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @tonyled ahhh interesting thanks 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    They lay an egg in a mud shaped tube.  Inside with the egg they store small insects that they've captured and placed in suspended animation (since dead spiders/insects would decompose).  When the egg hatches the larvae feed on the insects inside the sealed off mud tube.  Pretty cool - although annoying.  My covered dock at the lake is covered with them constantly.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Once we were at a fishing cabin on a lake where we had arrived late the night before and I parked behind it. In the morning I went out to unload our fishing tackle and as I was returning I saw this startling sight...a 4 foot black snake had climbed up a trellis and was perched over the door jam and was feasting on several mud dubber tubes. I knocked it down and luckily my wife never saw it and I never told her either as she wouldn't have stayed in that cabin for another minute! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • madranch
    Options
    He wasn't home when I opened the egg so I just knocked the nest down. We have them all over, never been stung by one. Wasps on the other hand &^*$%.

Parker County, Texas

LGE

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    &^*$% indeed.  Yellow jackets, hornets, etc. as well.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...