Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog Copycat recipe

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum

I love this stuff, as most usually do.

I don't mind paying for stuff I like but up here in Canuckistan, its pricey, $21.99 for the 946ml jar.

Theres gotta be a better way!!!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Not sure what you were referring to, but here is a very close product. The origin is supposedly the same as this fellow and Bill Arnold were teammates on the competition circuit and they jointly developed that sauce. Then the men split and went their separate ways. BTW my favorite is Sticky Pig Jalapeño sauce - it has some kick but lacks the super sweetness of the original. 
    http://stickypigbbq.com/shop/sauce/original-bbq-sauce/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hondabbq
    Options

Thanks Ron,

I was looking to be able to make this myself instead of the ridiculous pricing up here.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I will also endorse @RRP 's recommendation regarding sticky pig.  When I first saw it in a post of his a few years ago, I went with the Jalapeño sauce.  Great stuff-
    Regret not being creative enough to offer a home-made substitute for the Blues Hog.  Hopefully some of the culinary geniuses on the board will help out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    CGS now stocks it so if you ever buy some gear from Tom then order some Sticky Pig from him - you won't be sorry!!!

Here's one of my orders:

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one that is popular among some.

Sauce, BBQ, J.K's WIld Boar Soul BBQ, Mr. Beal's

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectatular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.

INGREDIENTS:
    Mix in big pot over low heat
    1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 Cup, Heaping Packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef boullion strong
    6 cups H20
    When sugars dissolve, add
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.
    1 cup Worcestershire
    2 cups (16oz) tomato paste, or 3-6 ozs cans paste
    Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat.
    Hatch ground chile is my favorite.
    I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time.
    I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.

Procedure:

1. Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.

2. I immediately tried to improve on this (added bourbon, tried rum, tried bourbon infused chipotle chiles) but everything I did only make the sauce worse.

3. This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!

4. May your clothes always smell smoky!

Some answers to questions about making this august recipe:

HOW MUCH CHILE POWDER TO ADD?..

1. ..It's impossible to tell- some chile powder is as hot as hell, some's not, and some folks like really HOT sauce, some can't handle it. But I think you can find out quickly..... if it's HOT, just add so much (1/4 cup?) at a time, and then taste. That's about the only way I know of not to get into trouble with Scoville!

2. Personally. I like stuff pretty dang HOT. But since not many of my friends do (weenies!), I make it pretty ";weak", and then add the hot either by spice or by fresh chopped jalapeño or serrano, to my own servings. I've been using this stuff called Chipotle Morita lately chopped chipotle peppers). Or (my soapbox) seek out HATCH chile powder from HATCH N.M. Delicious deep red rich stuff. OR...since it makes so much, I split it up and leave some of it "MILD" and make some of it "ROCKIN'".(Kinda like rough chopped chipotle peppers).

HOW MUCH KITCHEN BOUQUET TO ADD?

1. Well, I haven't the vaguest, but the recipe says ";Add to darken" so a few small pourings (3 TBS) seems to darken the sauce somewhat, so there I go!

HOW LONG TO COOK?

1. I watched a friend make this weekend, and he got confused. He didn't cook it enough. You need to simmer, so it's bubbling at, gosh how shall I say it... a low to medium rate, for 2 hours. Stove set at 2/3 the distance between low and medium. It will lose about 1/3 of its volume, and get darker and thicker. When it's done, it's not thin like it started out, and it's not paste. Stir occasionally, but I've never had it stick. If it's getting sauce on your stove as it cooks, you probably have it on too high!

2. Vaya Con BBQ!

Yield: This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.

Recipe Type: Sauce

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Mike Flaherty, 2001/03/30

Author Notes
    When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone.

So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing margaritas and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe.

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitly greater than it's individual components.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried this:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/jazzy_hog_competition_barbecue_glaze.html

...he mentions he didn't try to copy the recipe as much as take inspiration from it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    Options
    Here is one that is popular among some.

Sauce, BBQ, J.K's WIld Boar Soul BBQ, Mr. Beal's

I agree - Wild Boar is my house sauce that I always have on hand! OTOH it is not the sweet sauce that Blues Original is like the OP was trying to replicate. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I am positive that it has Tamarind in it so add that to the recipe if you try to come up with one.

I got lucky and found 2 gallons on Amazon for $55. I should be good for a while but having a similar recipe would be nice so that I can alter it a bit to my taste.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I can tell you how to make it.... Grab a bottle of random bbq sauce at the store and put it in a bowl.  Mix 7 cups of sugar in the store bought bbq sauce.

;)

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @hondabbq, I've never even seen Blues Hog or Tennessee Red, but found a couple of recipes. Haven't tried either and wouldn't know if they were "right" anyway. The end product of the Tennessee Red doesn't look the same as his real one, but that might have just been the syrup he used. Maybe try Karo Light Corn Syrup instead? Anyway, hope this will help...

Blues Hog
    http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=542776.0;wap

2 cups light brown sugar, packed 
    1.5 cups ketchup 
    1/2 cup+2T+2t (approx 5/8 Cups) cider vinegar
    5T+1t white sugar 
    2t Morton kosher salt 
    1T+1t chili powder 
    heaping 2t ground black pepper, not too fine, not too coarse 
    2T+2t Worcestershire 
    16 drops vanilla (approx 1/6 t)
    1/2t granulated garlic 
    1/2t allspice 
    1t cayenne 
    Don't know if this one needs to be heated, but I assume so.

Tennessee Red

1 c cider vinegar
    1 c ketchup
    1/2 c pure cane syrup
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tbsp coarse ground black pepper
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp ground mace
    Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, then 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8rJGu_t5vU

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I can tell you how to make it.... Grab a bottle of random bbq sauce at the store and put it in a bowl.  Mix 7 cups of sugar in the store bought bbq sauce.

;)

I might have to agree here.  I just tried a bottle of their Smokey Mountain sauce and it seems like a condensed version of any store bought?  The Red taste similar to a vinegar sauce I make, but a couple of additional layers of flavor.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    is the blues hog sweeter than the red, have tried the red, cant imagine a bbq sauce could be even sweeter than the red. its like the candy on a candied apple with chili flakes =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    is the blues hog sweeter than the red, have tried the red, cant imagine a bbq sauce could be even sweeter than the red. its like the candy on a candied apple with chili flakes =)
    I've always heard Blues Hog was VERY sweet, but didn't realize TN Red was too. Also that Bad Byron's Butt Rub is supposedly super salty. Fortunately, none of those products are sold here. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    I've always heard Blues Hog was VERY sweet, but didn't realize TN Red was too. Also that Bad Byron's Butt Rub is supposedly super salty. Fortunately, none of those products are sold here. =)
    i actually like the bbbr, its not really a rub you just dump on something, its more a base you add sugar to in different amounts, you need to add sugar to it, 50/50 for ribs, 25/75 sugar to bbbr on butt, add it as is it a tritip or some burgers but dont add too much. YOU obviously can't eat it =) the red magically even looks like the candy on an apple, i coat ribs with it sparingly then put a true vinegar type sauce with some bite in the plate and drag the rib sides thru it when eating ribs, way too sweet on its own
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    YOU obviously can't eat it =) 
    Yeah, I'll have to pass. =)  I've gotten quite used to lower sodium though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I haven't had the red but pretty sure the original blues hog is much sweeter. In the video that Carolina Q posted he is shaking the bottle of red and it looks like liquid. Original has the consistency of jelly. I was curious so I checked the nutrition labels. Original has 22 grams of sugar and Red has 15 grams. I would have thought BH Original would be much higher. I don't know how they could make it so thick without adding sugar.  Just as another reference Sweet Baby Rays has 18 grams.  All have serving size of 2 TBS. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    I haven't had the red but pretty sure the original blues hog is much sweeter. In the video that Carolina Q posted he is shaking the bottle of red and it looks like liquid. Original has the consistency of jelly. I was curious so I checked the nutrition labels. Original has 22 grams of sugar and Red has 15 grams. I would have thought BH Original would be much higher. I don't know how they could make it so thick without adding sugar.  Just as another reference Sweet Baby Rays has 18 grams.  All have serving size of 2 TBS. 
    good to know, i wont be buying the original.  i bet the the red turns even more sugary once the volume gets reduced glazing the ribs, it turns into a sticky mess if you put too much on, it does go over big when feeding a crowd that never gets good ribs though
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    good to know, i wont be buying the original.  i bet the the red turns even more sugary once the volume gets reduced glazing the ribs, it turns into a sticky mess if you put too much on, it does go over big when feeding a crowd that never gets good ribs though
    Yeah to be fair even though it is too sweet for my personal taste it is still a pretty good sauce.  There are lots of flavors going on in addition to the sweet.  I still enjoyed it in small doses.  I served it as a dipping sauce with some smoked sausage and people raved over it.  I gave a jar to a buddy and he won a friendly rib competition in his neighborhood.  I mostly used it as a "concentrate" and mixed it about 30/70 with a vinegar based sauce.

• hondabbq
    Options
    @hondabbq, I've never even seen Blues Hog or Tennessee Red, but found a couple of recipes. Haven't tried either and wouldn't know if they were "right" anyway. The end product of the Tennessee Red doesn't look the same as his real one, but that might have just been the syrup he used. Maybe try Karo Light Corn Syrup instead? Anyway, hope this will help...

Blues Hog
    http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=542776.0;wap

2 cups light brown sugar, packed 
    1.5 cups ketchup 
    1/2 cup+2T+2t (approx 5/8 Cups) cider vinegar
    5T+1t white sugar 
    2t Morton kosher salt 
    1T+1t chili powder 
    heaping 2t ground black pepper, not too fine, not too coarse 
    2T+2t Worcestershire 
    16 drops vanilla (approx 1/6 t)
    1/2t granulated garlic 
    1/2t allspice 
    1t cayenne 
    Don't know if this one needs to be heated, but I assume so.

Tennessee Red

1 c cider vinegar
    1 c ketchup
    1/2 c pure cane syrup
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tbsp coarse ground black pepper
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp ground mace
    Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, then 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8rJGu_t5vU

I did find that recipe as well in my searching. It finishes exactly like the original but there is some off tasting instantly on my tongue. It may be the cooking, as it tasted great "raw" then just warmed up, but after it got to just slightly bubbling it tasted off to me.

I was also thinking about using light corn syrup instead of the brown sugar or at least reducing it for the syrup content.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

I like mixing Blues Hog original with equal parts of Tennessee Red.  I mostly use it on pulled pork.  I like it better when I cook with it then just using it as a side sauce. I am more of a sauce on the side guy, but my wife likes it when I sauce burnt ends so I do that to please her.   

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    You can check out Hawgeyes...he is my go to for some hard to find products... he stopped carrying the honey powder..that stuff was the bomb.....

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/shop/show=category&productCategoryID=6885&productCategoryIDs=6881,6885&view=thumbnails&recordsPerPage=48&&sortBy=default&page=2
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    YOU obviously can't eat it =) 
    Yeah, I'll have to pass. =)  I've gotten quite used to lower sodium though.
    You aren't missing out Q.  Same goes for BHO.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• hondabbq
    Options

Wow! Tough crowd around here sometimes.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I've had two jars of original.. First one was thick, second one is super thick... Like honey thick and as sweet as it is there is some spice... I've been adding original, red, and smokey mountain all together.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Original is definitely sweeter and thicker than red. Original pours like pancake syrup. Never had it be like jelly.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @hondabbq, Firecraft's free shipping deal this week might help with your Blues Hog quest. They ship to Canada, though I have no idea how the duties and taxes thing works. Or if you have a choice of carriers.

Their website says...
    Canadian Orders: Most shipments to Canada will be shipped by DHL, FedEx, or UPS. All duties and taxes will be charged upon delivery. All freight orders and Parcel Post deliveries will require you to pay duties and brokerage fees upon delivery.

http://www.firecraft.com

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hondabbq
    Options
    @hondabbq, Firecraft's free shipping deal this week might help with your Blues Hog quest. They ship to Canada, though I have no idea how the duties and taxes thing works. Or if you have a choice of carriers.

Their website says...
    Canadian Orders: Most shipments to Canada will be shipped by DHL, FedEx, or UPS. All duties and taxes will be charged upon delivery. All freight orders and Parcel Post deliveries will require you to pay duties and brokerage fees upon delivery.

http://www.firecraft.com
    I added 5 different jars to my cart. Got to the end for shipping and BANG !!!!
    $59 US shipping. So $80 US plus 30% exchange  plus duty and brokerage. $104 plus d&b. Over $20 a jar. 

Thanks for for the notice though. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    So free isn't free? Beats me, I just saw that they had free shipping for all orders this week and that they sell BH and ship to Canada. Oh well.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hondabbq
    Options
    So free isn't free? Beats me, I just saw that they had free shipping for all orders this week and that they sell BH and ship to Canada. Oh well.
    Thanks for thinking of me. It's appreciated.