Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Smoked Bologna!

Options
GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
Got up this morning and put these tow big chunks of Bologna on the BGE with some Hickory chips and let them set at about 250 degrees for four hours. They turned out very good according to the wife and she is of coarse the one that counts.

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Love that Tennesee Round Steak!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Yes sir!  Here is a bologna cook from last year! 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Tough to beat a bologna sandwich at a sports event.  Great cook.  I generally get blow-back about the relative cost of bologna.  But in the summer it is tough to beat.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I hadn't had it in a long time. We used to have it at a Rally on Pickwick Lake  called fastbass Rally. Guy did smoking on Thursday and made three of the monsters and we had them for lunch that day with White Bread and Mayo. Awesome lunch and wanted to experience it again. Wife loved my gourmet dinner of Smoked Bologna on Ciabatta Buns.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great.  I am a fan of the 'loney.  

'Loney steak on a pretzel roll with honey mustard slaw. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GaryLange
    Options
    It looks good and so many ways to eat it!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    wow that looks great! My dad used to make what he called "bologna steaks" growing up . . served like BLT on toast w/ melt cheese . .  us kids would go crazy for them.  

I have been talking about doing this for years . . never pulled the trigger.

@Grillmagic . . how much was that Boars Head log?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @GaryLange Looks great. I like to cook a Blooming Bologna.

Finish it with a BBQ Glaze.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited August 2016
    Options
     I love to smoke a nice chub of bologna! Scored well. Some rub. I like a glaze of peach nectar or preserves or orange marmalade diluted with some cidar vinegar when it gets close to the finish line. I let it go 4-5 hours at 260*. Wonderful sandwiches with minimal work and cost. A good grainy mustard for my topping. Perhaps some cheese if I decide to slice then grill each piece...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GaryLange
    Options
    It is amazing to find so many guys on here that smoke a Bologna Chub. We have a restaurant here in te Springfield, MO. area called Rib Crib and they had it on there menu.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    edited August 2016
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    Got up this morning and put these tow big chunks of Bologna on the BGE with some Hickory chips and let them set at about 250 degrees for four hours. They turned out very good according to the wife and she is of coarse the one that counts.
    Chunks=Chubs or <=> Chubbys...

Yes, that there is two chubs of Bologna..and looks fantastic...

Now..

Thick white Texas toast, thick cut ripe red tomato, dukes mayo, and a slice of that about a 1/4 inch thick..

Two please!!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Just to add a little fun to the cook !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    NDG said:
    wow that looks great! My dad used to make what he called "bologna steaks" growing up . . served like BLT on toast w/ melt cheese . .  us kids would go crazy for them.  

I have been talking about doing this for years . . never pulled the trigger.

@Grillmagic . . how much was that Boars Head log?
    6.99 a pound, I know I could have bought steaks on sale however it was really good! White bread and mayo...
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    thanks @Grillmagic . . . going to check with few grocery stores nearby to see if they carry the boars head log you cooked . .  with college football right around the corner . . . seems like a great tailgate cook !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks good, I may have to add this to my list of fall football delicacies. 

Last year my dad got done with chemo and his taste buds were all out of wack...and he is from Mississippi so I'm sure he wanted a taste of his childhood. He had me make him fried bologna sandwiches for about 4 or 5 days straight so I got a little burned out. (Good bologna, sourdough bread, a few different types of cheeses, grilled onions, tomato, mayo...they were tasty at first)

Damn, now I kinda want one. Now where to find a hunk of bologna...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Grillmagic
    Options
    NDG said:
    thanks @Grillmagic . . . going to check with few grocery stores nearby to see if they carry the boars head log you cooked . .  with college football right around the corner . . . seems like a great tailgate cook !!
    It holds great in a crock pot on low to keep warm/hot for 5/6 hours
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I know it's not high on the food chain, but I actually prefer Zeigler bologna over the Boar's Head. I even like Oscar Meyer.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    GregW said:
    I know it's not high on the food chain, but I actually prefer Zeigler bologna over the Boar's Head. I even like Oscar Meyer.

I favor a brand called Wunderbar for grilling or smoking that is half the price of Boars Head here.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim