Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions that need Answering...PLEASE

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in Pre-Sale Questions
I am about to pull the trigger on either a Large or Extra Large EGG this Eggtoberfest in Atlanta. I absolutley can not wait until Aug 1st is here so that I can Register for the event.

Anyways,

Can someone give me any clue as to which size to get?
I have a family of three but I do cooking for up to 20 people with some of the special events that we participate in.

I need some recommedations on LUMP?
A Good LOWnSLOW?
A Good quick sear?
Or is there a lump that can be used for either.

I am most concerned with lighting times (If they are different for different types of lump). I I just want to sear some burgers I don't want to use a lump that takes 2 hours to light but on the other hand it might not matter for a planned LOWnSLO

Am I putting to much thought into this?

I also need some recs on a good remote Temp sensing thingy? I would love one that does meat and grill temps. A friend told me about Guru Pro something but I actually crapped on my keyboard when ne told me what be paid. I am not that prepared for such an expense yet. I am just looking for a decent one at a decent price.

What are some peeps thoughts on a lighting technique?
Gas lighter of somekind?
A Charcoal Tower?
Liquid Oxygen?
Napalm?

I hope this is not to much for everyone and I am excited about the responses.

I hope to see some of you in October. I will be the big Red Headed guy humping his new Egg in the Parking Lot..... LOL :woohoo:

More questions to come shortly. Thanks to Everyone!

:P
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• jeffybeer
    jeffybeer Posts: 42
    Options
    Size- You won't be disappointed with either, However if you are looking for height vs grill space then go with the large, and vice versa.

Charcoal- The Big Green Egg charcoal works great for hot searing steaks, burgers, chickens, slow cooking and just about everything else. The start up time is about 10 min. However the 100% oak and mesquitte charcoal from B&B tends to work great for more slow cooks because it has a slower heat up time due to the density of the wood. It will also cook hotter than other charcoal. The only downside to it is the start up time is about 20 minutes. But thats for peak temp as well.

Lighting- Never use lighter fluid, Use either a fire starter that is made of sawdust and parifin wax (best), or an electric starter. The charcoal tower works but is totally unnecessary due to the fact that your egg is basically a charcoal tower.

Good luck you will like your purchase no matter what
    Jeff---MN
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Jeff.

:)
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Regarding Size:
    I'm single and based on what I've read, most people go with the large, end of story. I thought the Large would be too big for me, but there appears to be more accessories and support for the Large. The Large appears to have more height above the grid, whereas the X-tra Large has more WIDTH (cooking space). This is important if you are doing a turkey or chicken. On the Large, you can get a Grid Extender, for another shelf, or a 3-tier extender for even more space.

The super serious EGG'ers end up buying a Large and a medium or two large's as they will end up doing MEAT on one, and fish and/or veggies on another.

Take a look at the versatility you have by watching the videos at:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/videos.html I think he gets 12 burgers on what appears to be a Large.

Look at the Perfect Steak at:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes.html

Regarding startup times:
    Most end up using BGE's starter cubes. BGE has a new Eggcelerators (currently >$100), listed on What's New:
    We are pleased to introduce our new product, the EGGcelerator! The EGGcelerator fans the lump charcoal at initial lighting for faster start-up times, especially in high altitude situations. The unit easily attaches onto the draft door of the XLarge, Large or Medium EGGs. Once the EGG® has obtained the desired cooking temperature, the unit is switched off and removed. The EGGcelerator requires 8 AA Batteries (not included), an optional power adapter will be available soon.

From what I gather, the EGGcelerator is really targeted towards users in high altitudes, or that may have damp coal.

Some suggest going to a 'discount' store and buying a cheap 'personal fan' that uses a couple AA's that will accomplish the same thing if you are looking to decrease your startup time.

I've fired mine up a few times and in general, it does take 10 minutes. You want to make sure that the charcoal is started, otherwise, when you are trying to 'fine tune' the temperature down to "Low and Slow", a DOME TEMPERATURE of 250°, you risk putting it out.

Hope this helps a little,
    -Jeeves
    Austin, TX
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    Low and slow can be done with most any lump.
    high heat needs dry lump.
    lump attracts moisture. Unless you live in the desert it will take longer with old lump.
    I use a chimney to fire up a hot cook.
    I clean out the old lump and ashes, dump a chimney full of hot coals (large pieces)in the bottom and then scatter the old lump over the top.

I use a BBQ GURUdigiq II . Yes it is expensive. Yes it is worth it.
    It held my first cook with it at 210 for 3 hours without going up or down 10 degrees.
    Previously I struggled to keep it below 250.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.