Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spaghetti. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Fellows, here is an ole southern delight. Thought I would share it here as it's simple, but excellent. 
For the record, you can use just about any ready made sauce as it's just the base. What you add to it will give it the taste. I use Ragu because it's cheap and due to the excessive chemicals in it, it holds up well to extended cooking. 

For the sauce I use:
4 Bay leaves. 
3 jars of Ragu.
Enough tomatoe juice to keep consistancy. 
Salt & Pepper. 

For the spaghetti I use 2 pounds of Angel Hair. 

For the meat balls use:
2 parts Russian Boar. 
1 part venison. 
And if you like, add 1 part ground beef. 

Make meatballs to desired size. 

Smoke meatballs on your unit of choice over pecan wood between 180-200 degrees until a internal temp of 140-145 degrees. 

Remember, you don't want to cook them beyond about 145 on the smoker. 

While the meatballs are cooling, cut up 1 link of venison sausage, 1 white onion, and one bell pepper. 

To a large cast iron pot or pan, add the Ragu, bell pepper, onion, bay leaves, sliced venison sausage and mushrooms. 

Simmer about 25 minutes or until it smells right. 

At this point add the meatballs and Angel Hair and simmer until the AH is soft. Usually 25-30 minutes at a real low simmer. Then enjoy. 

Note: While simmering, if sauce becomes to thick, simply add tomatoe juice to thin. Stir regularly while simmering from beginning to end. 
I hope that y'all enjoy this simple but excellent recipe as much as I do. And as always, thanks for taking a peek my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'll take an extra large plate please!  Looks delicious Scottie, seriously.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Looks good!

Not sure why but I imagined that spaghetti Dixie-style would have involved/included pigs feet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Looks good!

Not sure why but I imagined that spaghetti Dixie-style would have involved/included pigs feet.
    You can substitute the wild boar with pigs feet if you like. They are certainly much more available to most folks than wild boar. And being ground with the venison, few people could tell the difference.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I could tear that up!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What, No hotdogs?!?! Just kidding buddy, real nice meal.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    "That stuff is dog food.  My Spaghetti-O's are far better!"

Flint, Michigan
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice cook friend! I just ate a large meal, but those pics have still got me droolin'.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    NO WAY I WOULD EAT THAT......without cheesy garlic bread to go with it.  Looks great!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Sign me up !!!! I will take at least 4 plate loads ... Looks and sounds awesome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Ya................ I would dominate a plate of that

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I bet simmering the noodles in the sauce rather than boiling in water first really makes the pasta soak in the flavor!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Love, love...LOVE the use of game meat in this dish...when should the wife and I stop by for a sample???
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    You lost me at "Ragu".
    He did state prior, "In the style of Dixie".
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:
    You lost me at "Ragu".
    He did state prior, "In the style of Dixie".
     Actually, he lost me at "spaghetti in style of Dixie", but I was just gonna leave it at Ragu.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Ragu? You feeling alright, Scottie? 
  • SGH
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Ragu? You feeling alright, Scottie? 
    Yes sir. But like I said earlier, with the onion, bell pepper, 2 kinds of pork and venison simmered down in it, no one will know that it's Ragu. The sauce basically tastes like the meat. Not vice versa.  

Status- Standing by.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     A strange evening here on the forum. This post by SGH promoting jarred tomato sauce. Another thread we have RRP extoling the virtues of pre-packaged meatballs. Too much for the Italian blood in me. I "may" actually use these products in a hasty pinch. But I would never let others believe I thought it was "OK".

Hopefully tomorrow brings some fresh ideas with fresh ingredients!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice cook my friend. I would have no trouble enjoying a plate of that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's a neat take on traditional spaghetti for sure. The angel hair pasta killed it for me though, is that a personal favorite or a mrs? Here we have to make two, regular spaghetti for me and the kiddo, angel hair for the mrs. Really dig the idea of smoking the meat too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I was riding along until the Russian boar (short ride)- I will not support anything associated with those remnants of the Soviet Union. I will make it thru this adventure and not miss anything of note from there, or their servants.  FWIW-
    BTW-I'm keeping the language on the right side as the remainder of the recipe and end result are worthy of finding a non communist boar (and that is not meant to be a political opening) substitute.  FWIW-
    @SGH - great documentation and cook-just need to change up the ingredients...  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Another thread we have RRP extoling the virtues of pre-packaged meatballs. 

Jim
    Sorry, Jim - I got hooked on the ease of using those premade/precooked meatballs during Eggfests. My thinking is they are very tasty and if more people than me didn't agree then that company selling these would have gone belly up years ago! I have nothing against home made and that's cool - but when I fix a meal for just the 2 of us then grabbing 8 or 10 frozen balls out of a package of I think 40 or 50 balls makes sense to me. Sorry if I offended any Italian purists here!!! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pasta is my weak point. I would make myself look awful over a plate of that. I do not think you could possibly make too much of that. 
    @lousubcap I understand.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    RRP said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Another thread we have RRP extoling the virtues of pre-packaged meatballs. 

Jim
    My thinking is they are very tasty and if more people than me didn't agree then that company selling these would have gone belly up years ago!
    and the shareholders of McDonalds Corporation and the like rejoice in this uniquely American contribution to the dumbing down of food
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Another..oh snap!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    im ok with the ragu, okay with communist pigs, but angel hair is not man food =) and theres too many real italian places near me to buy frozen premade meatballs. kidding, i would eat that. wedding place near me used to sell those premade meatballs at 27 dollars a plate :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ragu Garlic and Onion
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    That's a neat take on traditional spaghetti for sure. The angel hair pasta killed it for me though, is that a personal favorite or a mrs? Here we have to make two, regular spaghetti for me and the kiddo, angel hair for the mrs. Really dig the idea of smoking the meat too. 
    Thanks buddy. As far as the Angel Hair, yes my wife prefers it. I myself like any of it so the AH doesn't bother me at all. 

CtTOPGUN said:
     A strange evening here on the forum. This post by SGH promoting jarred tomato sauce. Another thread we have RRP extoling the virtues of pre-packaged meatballs. 
    It's a conspiracy my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I came in all ready to poo-poo this Dixie style spaghetti but I leave really wanting to give this a try sometime. Well done sir.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA