Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Wifi Question - How To Look At Stoker Status From Phone?

Options
I configured my Stoker last night and hooked everything up this morning to see if it was configured correctly. Everything was working great without any issues so I left to work. Now at work I can't pull up the Rocks Stoker status page from my cell phone using my ip address. It worked great on my phone earlier but now won't at work. Can I only pull up the status page when in wifi range? Do I need some 3rd party app to read the status page when not in wifi range? Sorry for the dumb questions. (This is the exact reason why I didn't thow a chunk of meat in the egg when testing this out!) Thanks for any help!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Probably have to set up port forwarding on your wireless router. How easy it is see depends on the router you have. If it does text message alarms, you can just set the alarm very conservatively and hope you have plenty of time if something unexpected happens. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I played around with it last night and this morning. I visited the Stoker Status page 10-15 times without any issues from my phone/laptop. Now checking at work it doesn't connect to the status page from my phone. Just sit's and tries to load. I'll have to look into port forwarding. (I know nothing about computers) Thanks for the tip. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The whiz has a pretty good write up on it here:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/stokerwifi/stokerwf4.htm

One more tip- when you are at home turn off Wifi on your phone (use cellular data to connect).  This will ensure you are not on your local network.  If you can get it working with wifi off on your phone, it should work from anywhere. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    Options
    The whiz has a pretty good write up on it here:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/stokerwifi/stokerwf4.htm

One more tip- when you are at home turn off Wifi on your phone (use cellular data to connect).  This will ensure you are not on your local network.  If you can get it working with wifi off on your phone, it should work from anywhere. 

Excellent point with turning off wifi on my phone. Will try this after work. Thanks for the tip with Naked Whiz. I also found a pdf from Stoker that really broke down what port forwarding is and an overview of what it does. This stuff is way over my head but I'm starting to understand some of it. You guys rock. Thanks a ton!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Has anyone used an Asus router to connect their Stoker and had to port forward to make it static? My Stoker works great on Wifi but as soon as I leave the wifi parameters or try to check it from work I can't get into the Stoker status page. I've tried for the last 6.5 hours trying to figure out my Asus router to make a static line that works but having zero luck getting it to connect outside of wifi. I want to buy the exact same router as the nakedwhiz uses just so I can follow his steps on his website. It would probably be slower than my current one but I'd be in better shape than where I'm at. Frustrating!!! 

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @WeberWho What is the model # of your Asus router?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @WeberWho What is the model # of your Asus router?
    Hi @Hotch, I found the virtual server/port fowarding tab in my Asus router. It finds my Stoker IP to make the port fowarding but I have tried for 3+ hours of different combinations to make one but it never loads onto my phone once off wifi. Works great on Wifi and goes to the Stoker status page but for the life of me I can't get it to find the Stoker status page outside wifi. He is a picture of the manual and what I have come across for port fowarding. Thanks for the help!!! 

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Options
    I will take a look in a bit. I may need to ask my son later this evening.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    @WeberWho Did you tell it local port 80?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @hotch I tried the local 80 port and also tried the 20:21 setting. I'm a little confused what the port range is? It wants a number in it before it can be submitted. Something like between 300-500 if I'm not mistaking  

Minnesota
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @WeberWho - its port 80.  If you haven't already, you really want to set your Stoker IP address.  What I did is through a DHCP reservation.  You most likely have that setting someone for your Asus.  On port range, some devices/services will set the port dynamically so to accommodate, you set a range.  This is not the case with your Stoker.  Put port 50 in there.  You will also need to confirm your Stoker IP as I'm guessing your router is changing that as you turn devices on/off or they leave and then return to your network.  

They show you how to assign an IP to a device here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osl_RQIzzIA
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @4Runner Thank you! I think Hotch might have pointed me in the right direction. I don't believe my router ip address is static. It sounds like you can't port anything without it being static first?

Thank you for the video. I can see my Stoker active within my router and can pull up the Stoker status page just not off wifi. Since I can see my Stoker do I want to change the DHCP reservation? If I change it do I need to still port forward it? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Options
    @WeberWho

It is your provider that sets your router IP. It is normally Dynamic and not Static unless you pay for a range of hard IP's. Normally your router will keep the Dynamic IP assigned to it unless you have a power loss or the provider has a "Lease Renew" set.
    But the IP on the Stoker does need to be Static. That is what the vid shows you how to do.
    There is a way to go around the Dynamic IP if it keeps getting reset by using a dynamic DNS service. That is another road all by itself.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    If you have a DHCP reservation then I think that is good enough.  That is essentially a static IP address. 

Here is some info from Asus:
    https://www.asus.com/support/faq/114093

It looks to me like you are really close, you just need to enter 80 for the port range and apply.  

One final thing to note is the IP address you will use outside of your network will be different than the one you use within your network.  This was described in the naked whiz page- just google "IP Address".

Once you get port forwarding set up you should be able to enter this address in a browser and connect.  This is actually the IP address of your router, but with port forwarding enabled your router should basically redirect the request to the stoker. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    Options
    I can't tell you guys enough how much I appreciate the help! Thank you for the tips and suggestions. I feel much more confident and a place to start back up after work. Thanks!!!!

Minnesota
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yep, you have it covered.  Nice @Hooch   and @SmokeyPitt  !!!!

You just need to verify your WAN IP prior to your cook and adjust your bookmark as necessary.  Now, if you really want to geek out you can create host name from say dyn http://dyn.com/remote-access/ and then have a utility that auto updates you WAN IP.  What this means is, you enter "Joes-Stoker.from-sc.com" or whatever you come up with Dyn, in your address bar and it resolves back to your WAN IP which is set to forward to your Stoker.  Boom!  Totally geeked out and impress the ladies.  Worked for me.....except the ladies part. :)

Good luck!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Does the stoker allow you to set the port number?

Some providers won't allow you to run things on port 80 (to keep residential accounts from running websites) and some routers have problems forwarding port 80 (because their embedded web servers and config pages run on 80).

If you can change the port that the stoker runs on, it might help.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @4Runner @SmokeyPitt @hotch I was following the video up until it says the IP Address always starts with the first 3 sets of numbers: 192.168.1 but my address doesn't follow that order. Should I add the (.1.xx) to my ip address? Here is what comes up for my ip adress:

Thanks!

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @4Runner @SmokeyPitt @hotch I was following the video up until it says the IP Address always starts with the first 3 sets of numbers: 192.168.1 but my address doesn't follow that order. Should I add the (.1.xx) to my ip address? Here is what comes up for my ip adress:

Thanks!
    The IP address is 192.168.29.174. 192.168.1.x is common, but not always the case.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @DMW so do I change the last 3 digits of the address like in the video? Thanks!

Minnesota
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options

This thread has inspired me setup my stoker see it via the web. I think main it is because of the geek factor. Here is the process  I followed.

1. Plug in stoker and let connect to network via wifi.

2. Set router to have a reservation for stoker via MAC address

3. Setup the port forwarding on router

4. Find my IP address from provider

5. Test it out. (worked)

6. Call buddy and tell him IP address and ask what he sees.

Thanks, for inspiring me to quit being lazy.

Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • DMW
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @DMW so do I change the last 3 digits of the address like in the video? Thanks!
    Nope, looks like you have a reservation set already, just use that address, 192.168.29.74. Now you just need to setup port forwarding in your router to point port 80 to that address. You then figure out what your public IP address is and when remote access it via the public IP address.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    My router goes nuts once I try to forward port 80. Never have been able to get the Stoker to work over the internet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DMW
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    My router goes nuts once I try to forward port 80. Never have been able to get the Stoker to work over the internet.
    Some routers allow you to do a port redirect when you forward. So you could forward the public IP listening on port 8080 to the Stoker listening on port 80 for example.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• WeberWho
    Options
    I added the ip to the DHCP than tried to add it to port fowarding but didn't seem to do anything. I can get to the Stoker status page wifi but still can't outside of it

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    GOT IT!!!!!!!! Holy crap was that some work. Thank you guys sooooooooo much. 

One more question. Will I have to switch anything around between each use of the Stoker or will all this information stay put? 

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Some ISP's lock down port 80. Should give your ISP tech support a chat and see if they do block it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    GOT IT!!!!!!!! Holy crap was that some work. Thank you guys sooooooooo much. 

One more question. Will I have to switch anything around between each use of the Stoker or will all this information stay put? 
    The local IP should stay put now that you have a reservation in the DHCP server. However, your public IP address from your ISP may change over time. Before leaving, check what your public IP is.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    So one thing to clarify again- when you access the status page outside of your network you shouldn't be using 192.168.29.174.  You should be using your public IP address that you can find by googling "ip address". 

• WeberWho
    Options
    So one thing to clarify again- when you access the status page outside of your network you shouldn't be using 192.168.29.174.  You should be using your public IP address that you can find by googling "ip address". 

@SmokeyPitt
    That's 100% what I wasn't doing after submitting everything. I wasn't looking for the new ip address. So anytime from here on out I'll use that to check my Stoker Status page outside my wifi? 

Minnesota