Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

500 degree chicken

Options
Anyone ever cut the backbone out of a smallish(3.25-3.50 lbs)chicken and cook at 500ish degrees in a pan(thinking about elevating it a bit)... Looking for a little insights.

thanks

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I sure have. Usually I'll go indirect at 425-450 with the bird in a CI skillet. You can toss some potatoes, carrots ect in the pan to roast up in the chicken juices as well. Usually when I'm doing a cook like this I'll go with standard "roast chicken" flavors but I'm sure any rubs you have on hand would work well. Also I'd recommend getting the bird as high up in the egg as possible. The radiant heat coming off of the ceramics in the dome really help to crisp up that skin. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Mattman3969 posted the first CI splayed chicken cook that I saw.  Search under "splayed chicken" for a number of posts describing this cook ... and variations of the basic setup.  Here's one of Matt's latest postings:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196535/ci-splayed-chicken

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max