Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect cooking bricks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen several indirect stones used for indirect cooking on this site for the large egg. Where I live I cant find any at the stores that sell the egg. Can someone please give me the measurements for the stones. I am going to try to find some at a hardware store or maybe a home depot store unless someone can inform me of another place to get them. Also how many should I get? Another good picture would also help. Thanks to all. You all are very helpful and seem to be a great buch of people. Hopefully someday I will be able to take a vacation from work and check out the eggtoberfest. The pics look like its alot of fun. Have a safe and happy new year!

Comments

• Gentleman Jim,
    I bought mine at True Value Hardware,but if you don't have one there you can find them at most building suppy stores.They are the split firebrick as opposed to the full size.The difference being that they are thinner than the full size,and measure 9"x4.50"x1.25".Both GFW & Tim M have good pic's on their sites of the setup.I use 4 bricks with two flat on the grill and two on edge on either side to support the drip pan and grill.Good luck,and Happy New Year!

• Rob Rhodes,
    Gentleman Jim posed a question I was fixin' to, as by Xmas turkey likely got blackened (yet moist and tasty) by not using cooking bricks.
    Thanks for the answer Rob.
    It is one BGE adventure.....

• Gooba
    Gooba Posts: 26
    Rob Rhodes,
    I have a large egg and I ended up with 5 of the half size fire bricks.I use 3 down and one on each end.It sure helps with the temperature control.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Gentleman Jim,[p]Firebricks can be usefull, but indirect cooking doesn't require firebricks. I understand that firebrick setups are the trend on this forum (spurned by the pictures available), but an indirect cook can be done many ways without the use or need of a firebrick.[p]Indirect cooking is simply placing something between the fire and the meal so the meal doesn't see the direct heat of the fire. There are lots of possibilities when considering equiping for indirect cooking. The setup used should be one that is required by the meal.[p]My apologies to forum posters as I may have stepped on toes. I mean no offense as I understand that your setup and method work very well for you. I ask that you understand that there are many ways to achieve the purpose of an indirect cook and then promote the possibilities, rather than a method. We need to explain the purpose of indirect cooking and allow everyone the opportunity to create their own method to do indirect cooking. In the end, we all may learn more.[p]Spin
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=35071386&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Gentleman Jim,[p]This is a closeup of what I have used in the past. Note the fire bricks that hold the upper grate are full bricks and the ones on the lower grate are the splits. I got mine at a brickyard. .79 a piece. I am mostly just using the fire brick to support the food and using HDF for under the food lately. Seems to not take as much lump to cook.[p]MickeyT.
  • MickeyT
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=35071390&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />MickeyT.,[p]Dang computers..............:^)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Spin,
    Well stated Mr. Spin. Hi to the Sue.
    Happy new year.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    brick.jpg
    <p />Gentleman Jim,[p]Most stores that sell the Egg won't carry firebricks. They are normally found at one of two places - fireplace/woodstove stores or brickyards. Some have reported them at local hdw stores but 99% won't carry them it seems. Pick up the phone and make some calls to fireplace stores. They are used to line the walls of metal fireplace inserts and woodstoves. They come full sized and regular sized which are 1" thick by 4x6" (guessing here since its too cold to go measure them). When new they are a cream color.[p]Tim
  • MickeyT
    Spin,[p]Well said Spin!!!!:>)

• Schneid,
    Glad I was able to help!This is a setup that GFW had recommended on his page for ribs,and its worked great for me.After reading Goodba's post I'm picking up another brick.Sounds like a good idea.If it wasn't for this forum,I wouldn't have bought a BGE.Happy New year!!!

• Tim M, The real ceramics as you are showing are 1.25" X 4.5" X 9".
    C~W[p]