Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what is the actual right way to set up the dome thermometer

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
102_0905.jpg
<p />ok what i'm looking for is a pic or pics on how you guys have your dome thermometer installed? why i ask this its just that i see on some sites that people set them up differently and i'm curious on why and what it looks like!some set them up with spacers , some use the clip on the outside of the dome.....lets see how many diffrent ways there is and please explain why you set it up this way,with you pic.thanks
a curious egger mikeb6109

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    I put all of my clips on the outside, cause there aint NO way that thermometer is gonna fall out, so there is no need for it to be on the inside...long ago the thermometers had a plastic face which is why everyone "spaced" them off of the dome somewhat....helped to not melt the seal in a high temp cook...HTH[p]Wess

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    WessB,
    on the outside? so this means that you can just pull it out of the egg anythime right?cause at the moment my clip is on the inside holding my thermometer snug to the top.....as you can see in my pic no clip is showing. so am i doing it wrong? thats why i'm posting this question?is there pros or cons on the way we set it up?
    sorry but i just want to clarify it.by the way thanks for the rib tech....got it off your site and they all fell in love with them actually they want me do do a rerun this sunday!!
    thanks mikeb6109

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    I think Mike is thinking about the True Temp Gauge in which,I cant remember who ,had a wood spacer in between the temp probe and the top of the dome.

• BasementDwellingGeek
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p]With the clip on the inside the thermometer is free to slide down as far as it will go. I moved my clip to the outside of my small when I was trying to cook a turkey pie and the thermometer was impaling the pie. The real question is how close can you get to the food and still get a reasonable reading? If it's in the food you will get false readings. If it's to high up in the dome you won't get the temp that the food is actually cooking at. Just my thoughts. [p]rb
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    IMG_0114.jpg
    <p />darnoc,
    you mean my toy wheel? It takes up 1/2" of the 1" longer stem on a Tel-Tru. As for that metal spring I have thrown away all I have had - gravity holds your thermometer in place and makes removal a snap.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    Thanks for the kind words, and glad the ribs were a hit.....as far as right or wrong..there aint a whole lot of that on this board..more of a preference thing, just like cooking ribs...not right or wrong just the way you prefer...with the clip on the outside ( as mentioned below ) you have the ability to "easily" pull the therm out, say when you are cooking a turkey and you dont want it to hit the bird. If the clip was inside it would be much more difficult to pull it out...that said, it`s just the way I like to have mine setup and have been doing it with every egg from the first day I get them...[p]Wess

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    RRP,[p]What model number is your Tel Tru thermometer. I want to order one. Thanks in advance.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    BOBF,
    just like everything else everybody has their own opinion so what I like somebody else may not, but I got the 5" stem one with the 200-1,000 range. I bot 3 of them and glad I did. BTW the model # appears to be the same for several ones, but mine is the LT225R.

[ul][li]Tel Tru site[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    For the guys that want to know the -dome temp. Buy another polder and put it above whatever you are cooking to get the dome temp. I wish my the gauge in my oven was that accurate.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    My preference is to drink a bottle of wine and cut the cork in half. Drill a hole
    thru the center. Cork keeps the dial cool. Pull at end of cook and fill hole with golf tee. Once you have sacrificed your first Egg Thermometer to rain penetration of the dial you will be prompted to take it in from the weather: unless of course you don't mind buying a couple dozen spares and chucking when they fail?