Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg

Options
Shawn M
Shawn M Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just joined the club and brought home my new Large Egg. Unfortunately, neither retail store near me had a dome thermometer!!! The nearest store that has one is about 1.5 hours away (You do what you gotta DO).[p]Anyway, I was interested in a First Recipe. Does anybody have a NO FAIL rib recipe?[p]Shawn

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Shawn M,If you ever try one rib recipe, then make this one a consideration.....this one put me on the map with my co workers and family!

[ul][li]Try this one![/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Shawn M,[p]Welcome to the forum and the family. The thermometer from the higher end Weber kettles and gassers will work just fine in your Egg for now. Even the shaft if the correct diameter for the predrilled hole. You should be able to find them at Home Depot, Lowes, etc and only $8.[p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Shawn M,
    Howdy and welcome to the group. For a first recipe, when you are getting used to the way the egg operates, cooking direct over the coals is a nice way to get used to things. Might I suggest a pork tenderloin. Marinate in some teryaki sauce, lots of pepper, some olive or sesame oil. Or you could rub it with char crust or JJ's rub. Or slather it with mustard and a pply a rub. Kenny G's jerk recipe is also great. Lots of ways to go. Whichever way you prepare it will be good.[p]Grill direct at 350, turning every 15 minutes or so, until the internal temp is 145 (somewheres about 40-45 minutes). Slice and serve to rave reviews.[p]Again, welcome. And Happy New Year!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p] Welcome Shawn:

Chris is right, for the first cook, try the basic way of direct heat. Keep a close eye on the temp & time as they tend to over cook quickly near the end. I, myself will try Mop,s suggestion very soon, problem is, so many recipes get
    posted, hard to say which on to try next. Whatever you try, let us all know how things turn out.Your going to love the Egg.[p]Earl

• Shawn M,
    A retailer not having the dome thermomoeter is inexcusable.
    My only complaint with BGE is selling the model as stripped down and making everything optional. The dome thermo is a must
    It's like buying a car, then adding the steering wheel as optional.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Irish Smoker, You know you can always use "vice grips" on that steering column if there is no steering wheel....[p]hahaha
    Roger!

• Schneid
    Options
    KennyG,
    In regard to the dome gauges, are they accurate or is the boiling water test a must? Reason I ask is that my cooking times are shorter than expected and I had a black turkey....

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Schneid,[p]BGE thermometers are very accurate once properly calibrated. It's not at all uncommon for a new thermometer to be reading incorrectly and so an initial boiling test is a must. Periodically retesting is also a good idea as the thermos will drift in either direction from time to time.[p]I'll bet that you find that yours is reading low.[p]K~G

• Schneid
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thanks for the advice, water is getting to 212 right now.
    "Measure twice, cut once"---only works with a proper yardstick.....

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Irish Smoker,
    BTW did you ever come up with info on the other thermometer you mentioned awhile back? also check your email I'm still not sure my letters are gettin' outer' my puter.Happy Holidays-- Bob