Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with pizza

Options
okesmokie
okesmokie Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hear a lot of you guys and gals talk about doing pizza and I would like to try my hand at it. I have never cooked a pizza in my life. So I have a few questions for someone. First, are we talking about warming up frozen pizza? Do you make from scratch? Can you buy all the ingredients and just put them together? Your help would be appreciated.
Okesmokie

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    okesmokie,[p]The answer to your questions is "yes" to all as most of us have been doing this for years.[p]You will need a good quality pizza stone or better yet, the BGE platter setter or ideally both.[p]Let us know what you have to work with and you will wind up with more help than you will believe before today gets too much older.[p]As a first time experience, I would suggest simply baking a self-riser (Freshetta, DiGiorno, etc) on the Egg according to package instuctions for your kitchen oven. They come out great with a brick oven flavor.[p]K~G

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    okesmokie,[p]Pizza can be as easy as a frozen prepared pie to making your own dough, sauce, and grinding the cheeses. Either way the cook is very much well worth the effort.[p]The first thing you really need is an egg preped for making pizza. This means the pizza stone needs to be spaced up to the opening level so the pie can be inserted and removed easily. Second is a double layer of pizza stone to insulate the top stone from the direct heat of the fire. A pie can be made without this step but it is very close to burnt on the bottom. The BGE plate setter does a nice job of spacing the cook up to the opening level and also provides the extra insulation under the pizza stone. The BGE pizza stone is just plain tough. Other stones can crack from theheat an egg is capable of creating. The BGE plate setter/pizza stone combo is very nice, tough, and useful.[p]Spin
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    okesmokie,
    I started by making frozen pizza in the Egg. I have since made my own and baked pies from the local pizza joint, so you can take any approach you like. Here's a link to my pizza hints and tips page. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    thanks a lot i appreciate the info and response

• okesmokie
    Options
    Spin,
    thanks a lot for the info and response
    okesmokie

• okesmokie
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thanks a lot for the info and response. I do have the plate setter and will order the pizza stone. I had a meat market and deli for years and one of the things we served in our deli was pizza. All the stuff to make them come in plastic bags, the crust, pepperoni, cheese, sauced, all come ready prepared. All we had to do was put them together and I must say they were pretty good. The company we got the ingredients from also furnished the oven, a small electric oven. I just couldn’t justify firing up the egg to warm up a store bought pizza unless in really enhanced the taste like you said. I thought maybe you guys had recipes or something special that you would share. I know pizza seems to be a very popular item on the form and I would like to get in on the action.
    Thanks again…okesmokie[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    pizza.jpg
    <p />okessmokie,
    You are welcome! In fact, I made pizza tonight for dinner![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • okesmokie
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,you sure add a lot to this form and help a lot of people. i appreciate it.
    okesmokie

• okesmokie
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, im fact i have to think you for the tabel plans for the egg. i am a good cabnet maker and made the tabel from your plans. the only differance i put 2 big drawers on the left hand side and a 1/1/2 inch cutting board under the 18x18 tile for hot foods all i have to do is rotate the two. dont do pictures or i would show you. learned a lot from your website.
    thanks whiz
    okesmokie

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    Options
    okesmokie,
    Me too!
    Thanks
    Bob