Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Good Tip From ThermoWorks - Frozen Steaks

Options
We've all been challenged by the 'frozen-steak needs cooking now' problem, and we've met the challenge using a variety of ways, most of which resulted in a less-than-perfect steak. 

ThermoWorks' tip for today is a good one for the next time we're faced with just that question. 

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2016/08/perfectly-grilled-steaks-freezer/?utm_source=Nl-2016Aug13&utm_m edium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Aug2016-Grill-Frozen-Steaks-cs 

I might also mention that a sous vide cooker can also help in situations like this. Just add about 30 minutes to the suggested sous vide cook time if the meat is frozen. But that calls for 'planning ahead' and you might not have time for it. That's why ThermoWorks rose to the challenge with their suggestion. 

Thanks again ThermoWorks. 

Spring "Planning Ahead A Minute At A Time" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I was just coming here to post this link!  :-) 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I was just coming here to post this link!  :-) 
    I just woke up earlier than you LOL

Spring "The Rooster Crowed Early" Chicken
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Interesting technique. Thanks for sharing!  5-7 minute sear per side  seems like a long time.    Would you keep the dome open for this or shut it?   I leave dome open to sear on a reverse sear, but not sure about this new technique.  Any thoughts?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I doubt that there is any real advantage to closing the dome for the short time needed for a sear.  But the increased amount of air entering the open Egg, especially on a windy day, may influence the sear temperature somewhat.  I usually close my dome even for a one minute sear of a sous vide steak because I'm used to closing it.

Spring "Keep Out - Closed Searing In Progress" Chicken

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Someone posted this article from cooks illustrated about cooking steaks from frozen. They do some tests and basically conclude that it is better not to thaw the steak if it is frozen.  They do state that their favorite is using a fresh (never frozen) steak...but if you have some steaks in the freezer it is better not to thaw them. Their method is similar but they use a stove and oven for a sear/roast. 

I totally agree on the sous vide from frozen is a great method to cook from frozen as well...especially if they are already vac sealed and in the freezer. It is just too easy to take them from the freezer and into the bath.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've done this on several occasions. Agree that freezing protein to give a flat surface gives you a much better surface area to work with especially if the sear is being done in a CI pan. Seasoning is more difficult to adhere to the frozen ice cube meat but, it works. Even still I'm not sure I necessarily prefer this method. Thanks for sharing their article Leroy...it was very informative. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Tried once.. never again.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Given the impending arrival of Hurricane Matthew, I may be using this technique to empty the freezer if we lose power. Wonder how ribs and brisket would fare with this technique? Just add to the L&S time calculation?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com