Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash basket

Options
I want it.  Is it a big time saver? Is there any other advantages it offers besides clean up?  I feel like the air flow may be better. 

Current owners is it a game changer?

thanks for your inputs. 
VA Beach

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I like mine. Especially in the small. Worth the cash in my opinion but definitely not a necessity.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Clean up was the main reason. Better air flow but really wasn't an issue for me from the start. I know other small eggs had air flow issues and the basket made a huge difference with higher temps. My small seems fine with or without the basket. The basket for the small makes a world of difference when cleaning though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    It is a good time saver, not great.
    It's BEST advantage is it prevents the six side holes in the bowl from clogging.
    Airflow is better only in that it can't clog the way the holes in the OEM bottom plate can, as the coals shrink and drop.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Had 1 about a year now.  Big fan.  Easier to manage lump and no more issues with air ports clogging.   Not a game changer, but certainly a nice addition! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Love my large and small and recommend them. Do you need them? Not necessarily, but after sinking what a BGE cost you plus other eggcessories the KAB shouldn't make you blink twice! Go for it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Got one for my medium about a month ago, its terrific, better air flow and much much easier clean up. Plus, I can take it over to my charcoal bin, fill'er up and never have to move the heavy bag. I'm a believer. Of course, I cooked fine for 16 years without one, but hey, it IS nice!
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I agree. Got one for my large a few weeks ago and love it. Makes cleaning the egg out and getting set up for the next cook really easy. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    Ditto all the comments above - i.e., better than the OEM, but not a life changer.  I would truly enjoy the convenience if I could find the right size bucket to shake my ash into.  My large is just a little too wide for the standard plastic paint buckets that I hoped to use.  
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    It is by no means necessary, but I have one in my large and I'm a happy customer. Not exactly sure why, but I also keep the charcoal grate in and even with that have noticed better air flow.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    Options
    CharleyR said:
    Ditto all the comments above - i.e., better than the OEM, but not a life changer.  I would truly enjoy the convenience if I could find the right size bucket to shake my ash into.  My large is just a little too wide for the standard plastic paint buckets that I hoped to use.  
    Thanks to the hint from @Jeepster47 I have a 10 gallon galvanized garbage can with lid. I pull my KABs and give them a few solid shakes inside it. Typically when about half full I dump it. BTW it sits outside by my table and has weathered quite well including one winter so far.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    CharleyR said:
    I think this is the bucket I have at my vacation home. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Behrens-6-gal-Galvanized-Steel-Round-Trash-Can-with-Locking-Lid-00108/202264761
    It slides perfectly under the air vent of the Large Egg in its nest, so I can use ash tool to easily dump ash.  KAB was a good fit to shake into top too.  Since I'm not there right now, check measurements.  It worked great.

Now, my question since I just acquired the KAB for my Large and MM, when most of you say the air flow is better, are you removing the standard charcoal grate?  Seems like that would be best, with a minimal difference leaving it in.
    Thanks.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I've seen some pictures of the KAB and it looks like it's shorter than the fire bowl. Are still supposed to fill to the top of the fire bowl or do you do less and only to the top of the KAB?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Gamecock24
    Options
    Does the KAB effect how well temperature controllers (like the digiq guru, flame boss, etc.) function? I read a post a few weeks ago saying they caused issues in that respect, but that was the only post I have seen stating that.
    Columbia, SC - in the market for a LBGE
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Thanks to the hint from @Jeepster47 I have a 10 gallon galvanized garbage can with lid. I pull my KABs and give them a few solid shakes inside it. Typically when about half full I dump it. BTW it sits outside by my table and has weathered quite well including one winter so far.
    Picture...

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, I believe with all sizes you can remove the charcoal grate. I believe some earlier models you couldn't do it with the L or XL but from what I understand the newer ones are heavier duty and do not require a grate.

Also, the instructions that come with the KAB say you can fill above the basket line once it is in place. Pile it on, by the time you get done with a cook it should be reduced to the basket line anyway. However, if you add TOO much it might make removing the basket a little difficult after a cook. So, everything in moderation, right?!
  • RRP
    Options

BBQBuddy said:

Now, my question since I just acquired the KAB for my Large and MM, when most of you say the air flow is better, are you removing the standard charcoal grate?  Seems like that would be best, with a minimal difference leaving it in.
    Thanks.
    Yes - I removed both. Personally the logic is why hinder the air flow? Besides that though there is a slight learning curve why not start the process without the OE grate?
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have 4, 2 LG, 1 small, 1 mini max would not be without..................... Worth the $$$$$$. Short answer YES

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I load it up with lump and go above and beyond the KAB. Some smaller pieces might fall behind the KAB but nothing to be concerned about. I leave the charcoal grate in, but I'm sure it's fine either way. I figure it's easier to open up the vents a little more rather than going the other way if it gets hotter than I want on a low and slow. Plus, if small pieces of lump fall through the KAB I'd rather have it burn on the grate than fall below. Having said all that, I'm certain it makes not one bit of difference.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Have two, MM and XL. Guarantee if I get another BGE, the KAB will be the first thing I will buy for it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Plus- they include a really cool koozie.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have the old style thin wire KABs in my large eggs.  The OEM grate has been removed on both of them.  I see no sagging on either basket.  I might flinch with the thin wire on an XL, but would be comfortable pulling its grate with the thicker wire basket.

I agree with @YukonRon - will partially!  With my second large egg I traded ugly daisy for a Smokeware cap before we closed the deal.  And, it went home with a KAB on top of the box.

I already had the Smokeware cap when my mini-max followed me home.  Before I made it home I stopped at @pgprescott for a cap adapter, a Woo, and an indirect store.  Had to order the KAB 'cuz Pete had sold all he had.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It does not affect airflow , it's about convenience.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It does not affect airflow , it's about convenience.  
    @bgebrent ... why do you say that?

@jeponline ... simply pretend the KAB isn't there when you fill the egg for a cook.  If you fill to the top of the KAB on a large, that's only about three pounds of lump.  That's only enough lump for about four hours at 250 degrees.  Fill to the top of the fire ring and you'll have enough for about ten hours at 250 degrees.  So, treat it like a red-headed step child ... ignore it!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The only things that affect air flow is the vents.  Lower vent is most important because it's the fuel.  Top vent is secondarily important because it's the vent/chimney.  Wether or not you have a kab (I have them in all my eggs) is irrelevant.  Air flow is a function of your vent settings and has nothing to do with internals.  Are the airflow dynamics different with the KAB, yes, but minimally.  Inflow and egress doesn't change and that is what matters.  And that is determined by vent settings.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @bgebrent ... I agree that either the top or bottom vent sets the airflow for the temp.  But, I think you're overlooking the point that the fire moves around in the pile of lump.  Opening up the grate airflow (KAB vs plate with holes in it) makes it easier for the air to flow to feed the core of the fire.  Probably doesn't matter on an XL, some improvement on a large, but a significant improvement on a medium. seems to be the consensus.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    RRP said:

BBQBuddy said:

Thanks.
    Yes - I removed both. Personally the logic is why hinder the air flow? Besides that though there is a slight learning curve why not start the process without the OE grate?
    The oem grates will not hinder air flow - if they do not get plugged with lump or ash.  The KAB helps prevent them from getting clogged, especially the side vents.  The oem grates, especially the ceramic one, help buffer the bottom from high heat of the fire.  Removing it exposes the base to additional heat stress.  Is it a signifiant amount?  I don't know, but since I have a non-warranty egg, I choose to keep the oem grate in place.  The combination of the KAB and grate works fine.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I love mine. If I need to clean out ash, I simply lift out the basket, shopvac the ash, and replace. Asus more charcoal and im done. Huge time saver. Well worth the money.  
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2016
    Options

Just make sure you buy the newer ones with the larger diameter steel. Mine is a couple years old and about 6 months in it looked like it was from an archeological dig.

I don't waste time with an extra garbage can on my deck. I think it just looks bad. I just shake it in the egg and use the ash tool to scrape it out into a shallow Tupperware container, then throw the ashes over the deck onto the grass depending on wind direction.

• sheetmetalpete
    Options

When I started I had a few instances where I would stir the used lump to drop out the ash and the grate would get plugged with small pieces of lump and block air flow.  Looking back that may very well have been related to the quality/size of the lump itself, but I digress.  The KAB fixed that for me.  I'm sure I could live without it but I like it.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    Ditto all above.  For me, it's really easy to pull out the KAB when cleaning the bottom of the XL.  It does help with airflow, IMO and the holes in the XL are really large so I was losing a lot of lump through.  The KAB fixed all that.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker