Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and burnt ends

New method of brisket last night. Used a local Kansas City rub "Gates BBQ" which I love on ribs and pork. 

Normally I go fat up. I went fat down at 250. Took about 15 hours and then 2 hour rest. 

Removed the the point and cubed. That went into the fridge until today when I throw it back on the egg at 250-300 for about 4 hours and sauce the last hour for some burnt ends. 

Sorry no brisket pics while it was on the egg. 

The brisket may have been one of my best to date. I had long 8-10" slices that were pencil thick and passed the break test over th ringer absolutely perfect.  Honestly it melted like butter when you chewed it. The pictures kind of show how moist the slices were.

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Looks awesome!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great looking result right there.  I realize you are from the burnt ends capital of the world but one time give the point a shot as a straight up hunk of goodness.  You may adopt a different perspective   :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking result right there.  I realize you are from the burnt ends capital of the world but one time give the point a shot as a straight up hunk of goodness.  You may adopt a different perspective   :)
    I do all the time actually :) ... Also normally I never sauce my burnt ends as that's how they're actually done here. No one sauces them except a random place here or there. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Burnt ends look killer............as does the brisket!  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Nice cook. I am impressed (and now hungry).
  • bhedges1987
    Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wow.... Wow!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Really great cook! Inspiring me on the burnt ends to get another brisket going here soon!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Looks delicious, both halves of that brisket.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks outstanding!  The burnt ends look great but the flat slices are really impressive.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    lousubcap said:
    I do all the time actually :) ... Also normally I never sauce my burnt ends as that's how they're actually done here. No one sauces them except a random place here or there. 

Awesome job @bhedges1987.  I like burnt ends either way also and the one place I think of that sauce their burnt ends in KS is Arthur Bryant's that comes to mind.  The last batch I did a month ago that was just a point only cook came out great and I used a new local sauce that my dealer is backing and producing on the burnt ends.  I was having to keep them warm and moist for long time so I chose to sauce them and kept them in a crock pot for about and hour or two.  In bbq competition most burnt ends are just lightly sauced not soaked in sauce.  To me burnt ends are MEAT CANDY.  Your slices look awesome as well.  This is making me wanting brisket and burnt ends.  I won't be doing a brisket cook till the end September right now.  The wife gets tired of it and only likes the burnt ends, that's on of the main reason I do them and everyone seems to love them when I do it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Nice! Those burnt ends look killer! Makes me want to do a brisket again!
    NW IOWA
  • bhedges1987
    lousubcap said:

Awesome job @bhedges1987.  I like burnt ends either way also and the one place I think of that sauce their burnt ends in KS is Arthur Bryant's that comes to mind.  The last batch I did a month ago that was just a point only cook came out great and I used a new local sauce that my dealer is backing and producing on the burnt ends.  I was having to keep them warm and moist for long time so I chose to sauce them and kept them in a crock pot for about and hour or two.  In bbq competition most burnt ends are just lightly sauced not soaked in sauce.  To me burnt ends are MEAT CANDY.  Your slices look awesome as well.  This is making me wanting brisket and burnt ends.  I won't be doing a brisket cook till the end September right now.  The wife gets tired of it and only likes the burnt ends, that's on of the main reason I do them and everyone seems to love them when I do it.
    Thanks.

Yeah KC has this reputation of BBQ covered in sauce and really the only place that uses any is Bryant's. Everything everywhere else is either just lightly glazed KCBS competition style or sauce on the side. 

Many wife wasn't a big brisket fan either. She has come around though :) 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Looks great. Still have not tried a brisket yet as I only have a medium grill. Might get one and cut it in half and let my brother do half on his then we can compare efforts. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Looks great. Still have not tried a brisket yet as I only have a medium grill. Might get one and cut it in half and let my brother do half on his then we can compare efforts. 
    You might be able to get a 10 pound packer on a medium.  You may have to wrap a brick in foil and lay the brisket over it till it shrinks during cooking. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Well Done!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bhedges1987
    That's exactly why I got a large.  I do a LOT of briskets, and was tired of having to find out some way to make it fit, or having to go out in the cold to put it on my stick burner.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• where'd you get the meat?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @epcotisbest - I have heard some people separate the point and flat and cook that way.  A vid here on how to do it.  If you do this make sure to give your brother the flat and you keep the point so you can win the challenge. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    @epcotisbest - I have heard some people separate the point and flat and cook that way.  A vid here on how to do it.  If you do this make sure to give your brother the flat and you keep the point so you can win the challenge. 
    Thanks for the excellent advice. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice man!  I like it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Ollie and Arthur would be proud of their local boy!  Good lookin' cook.  Interested to know if you butcher paper wrapped it or not...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I'll be doing one soon.  Prime brisket packers were $2.99/lb at Costco today, could not walk past them.  Got a pork belly too, so I can make bacon again.
  • bhedges1987
    vb4677 said:
    Ollie and Arthur would be proud of their local boy!  Good lookin' cook.  Interested to know if you butcher paper wrapped it or not...
    Yep, always do!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg