Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear question

After doing some reading through the archives I am sure this one is approaching the Wrap or No Wrap territory.   Haven't tried it yet but read a lot of threads and other sites on the process.    Can someone confirm my understanding:

1.   Only with steaks thicker than one inch, otherwise just flip and flip and flip
2.   225-250ish indirect (either plate setter or CI skillet underneath if using a CI skillet for the sear)
3.   500+ direct and at the fire ring level for the sear, 2 minutes per side

I was reading Meathead's process and he mentions a 3-5 minute on one side, which is quite a bit longer than what I've seen referenced here, and to move it around so that it doesn't get grill marks.   For those who read better than I do, does his process then limit the second side to a very short turn (minute or so?).

Also, what is your favorite rub and brand of lump?   :D

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I never read the process, but for me
    1&2 yes 
    3 - I have a smaller grate that I can put right on the coals.  I get the meat as close to the heat as possible. I do not time. By the time it looks good, it is done.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    After doing some reading through the archives I am sure this one is approaching the Wrap or No Wrap territory.   Haven't tried it yet but read a lot of threads and other sites on the process.    Can someone confirm my understanding:

1.   Only with steaks thicker than one inch, otherwise just flip and flip and flip
    2.   225-250ish indirect (either plate setter or CI skillet underneath if using a CI skillet for the sear)
    3.   500+ direct and at the fire ring level for the sear, 2 minutes per side

I was reading Meathead's process and he mentions a 3-5 minute on one side, which is quite a bit longer than what I've seen referenced here, and to move it around so that it doesn't get grill marks.   For those who read better than I do, does his process then limit the second side to a very short turn (minute or so?).

Also, what is your favorite rub and brand of lump?   :D
    1.  One inch might be thick enough to benefit, but 1.5" and over is much easier to see the benefit.
    2.  Lower temps promote uniform edge to edge doneness.  225-250º works great for this, but high can be ok - just gets progressively harder to get that uniform doneness as the temp goes up.
    3.  Egg temp for the searing stage is not really the thing to pay attention to.  A fully engaged pile of lump producing lots of radiant heat is what you need. Fire ring level is ok (maybe), but lower would be better (all the way down to actually sitting on the lump). Maybe 2 minutes per side, but in short periods, flipping often (you are trying to get browning of the surface without adding a lot of heat that would cook the interior unevenly).  Aim for lots of browning without grill marks.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited August 2016
    3.  Egg temp for the searing stage is not really the thing to pay attention to.  A fully engaged pile of lump producing lots of radiant heat is what you need. Fire ring level is ok (maybe), but lower would be better (all the way down to actually sitting on the lump). Maybe 2 minutes per side, but in short periods, flipping often (you are trying to get browning of the surface without adding a lot of heat that would cook the interior unevenly).  Aim for lots of browning without grill marks.
    I do find the Egg temp a useful guide for whether the fire is hot enough, even though I agree that strictly speaking, it's not the dome temp but the radiant heat that matters.  I shoot for a minute a side to try to reduce gray meat, and even at the fire ring height, if I get it to 650° or so, a minute on each side does it quite nicely.
  • Thanks for comments all.   I had overlooked the flipping frequency to ensure even browning vs grill marks, so appreciate that one.   Will be trying this out soon.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I'm doing my first reverse sear Tri tip tomorrow night. My question is why does everyone go to the trouble of breaking down the egg? I plan on using the kettle for the sear. Am I missing something?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm doing my first reverse sear Tri tip tomorrow night. My question is why does everyone go to the trouble of breaking down the egg? I plan on using the kettle for the sear. Am I missing something?
    I prefer using one device, but it could be fun to fire up multiple devices for one item.  I do not find it to be much trouble to remove the plate setter. I like to get the meat closer to the lump during searing than a kettle allows (without serious mods, unless going caveman).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.