Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax Travel

Options
I plan to replace my BGE Mini I have in my camper with a Minimax.  Someone years ago had found the perfect size cooler to put the Mini in for travel. Has anyone found something to put the Minimax in for travel?  If so, please share your info. Thanks

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Don't think there is one its huge. I lugged mine to a condo this week on the lake. 
    Its damn heavy , we are eating good but the PIA of hauling it has me questioning if this is its last year here.
    Seattle, WA
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Don't think there is one its huge. I lugged mine to a condo this week on the lake. 
    Its damn heavy , we are eating good but the PIA of hauling it has me questioning if this is its last year here.
    Yea, I've wondered about that.  Maybe I will rethink that. I would love the extra cooking space but, I don't want it to become a burden either. 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    It's about 80 pounds. I have taken it on trips several times. I love it but you have to take care to secure it well so it doesn't get broke.
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • cfuller3
    cfuller3 Posts: 33
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Traveled from Mich to Va with the MM sitting in the 'garage' of the 5th wheel. Rested  against the wall of the gas bottle compartment so it couldn't go forward. Had several layers of cardboard to protect it from damage from vibration. Did fine. Also had a sheet of thin Styro and cardboard under it.  Used two man carry for transport to cooking area. Had the use of that wagon while in Mich but not after we left. While in the wagon, kept hands on the handles for steadying.
    Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I hear you. I recently picked up the MM and use it mostly around the house, often moving it between the front yard and back yard. Let's just say I'm glad I exercise regularly!
  • kybuckeye
    Options
    I have taken it from Kentucky to the keys , and to the outer banks as well in the back of our jeep Cherokee anchored down with several buggy cords . Have had no problem and will be taking it again this January to key largo .

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    When we travel somewhere that I won't have help, I use one of those yellow garden wagons from HD. 
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    The plus side... Eating good at the lake. We've used it every day and I have a brisket going on tomorrow.

lump crab stuffed mushrooms tonight.

Seattle, WA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @SkinnyV. Those look great, how'd they taste 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SkinnyV
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just pulled them, first time I've done it with crab but should be good. Lump meat, cream cheese , green onion, lime , old bay... Topped with Parmesan 

Update
    taste A+
    Seattle, WA
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    THOSE LOOK AWESOME!!!  :o
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Mine will be traveling to Cape Cod on Sunday in the back of my Pilot

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• pescadorzih
    Options

How I travel with my little buddy.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    no need to secure if not in a bed, it's too heavy to move while driving so not going anywhere.
    tonights app....I think I had neighbors annoyed for the brisket smoke....its wrapped and resting.

Seattle, WA
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Just pulled them, first time I've done it with crab but should be good. Lump meat, cream cheese , green onion, lime , old bay... Topped with Parmesan 

Update
    taste A+
    Those look amazing.  Recipe?  Time/Temp?  Doesn't look complicated, but if there's a link...Thanks.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Made it up from looking at a few sites. Just did cream cheese, lime juice, green onion , canned wild crab meat, Parmesan. 

They were rich so I would ratio more meat than cream cheese next time. Cooked indirect 350 for 30 minutes I think.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    edited August 2016
    Options
    She's back.... We used it 6 of the 7 days.... I'm not sure she will be going back next year.
    good luck to those who take it on the road and have fun cooking. I must say overall it made the trip better sitting on the porch drinking and cooking at day's end. 
    Back is throbbing just a bit, all legs I swear and still....it's a load up a few stairs into the backyard.

Seattle, WA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Lol.  I see an egg to the left of the large that is the perfect size for travel.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Lol.  I see an egg to the left of the large that is the perfect size for travel.  
    Yeah I was thinking same thing just might be 2 rounds on the grill for everyone to eat. Also may be a good excuse for the carrier. That may have been the Max's last voyage... I'm 75% right now.
    but for home cooks , solid as a rock.
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I just put the wife on one side, me in the other. Much easier. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Those stuffed mushrooms look phenomenal. Great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    She's back.... We used it 6 of the 7 days.... I'm not sure she will be going back next year.
    good luck to those who take it on the road and have fun cooking. I must say overall it made the trip better sitting on the porch drinking and cooking at day's end. 
    Back is throbbing just a bit, all legs I swear and still....it's a load up a few stairs into the backyard.

I hear ya. A Weber Jumbo Joe is a great grab and go to ponder.  I choose it half the time grillin on the go.  

A table minimizes the lifting, and only requires one person.  Just pull out, light, cook, push back.  Repeat as necessary.  Sometimes I grab someone and put it on a picnic table.

All utensils, vessels, etc are kept in a water tight tote.  Grab that, cooler, bag of charcoal, chairs, block rocker, ipod, and I'm off.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Focker said:

Like the bottle opener
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Yeah I was thinking same thing just might be 2 rounds on the grill for everyone to eat. Also may be a good excuse for the carrier. That may have been the Max's last voyage... I'm 75% right now.
    but for home cooks , solid as a rock.
    I hear ya.  I took my small to the Smokies last weekend. It's not terrible to move but not nearly as easy as the mini. Back in May I took the mini to Gulf Shores and cooked for 9 adults. Steak first then shrimp.  Worked out great.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I have an original MINI and the carrier...it is great to take with. I was at my dealer and tried lift ing the MINI MAX......arrgghhhh...that thing is too heavy to be portable

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Focker said:

Like the bottle opener
    Thanks, was a gift from a buddy who toured SA in Boston.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."