Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Cutting board

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Mickey said:
    45+ years old. 

That's exactly what I need to slice my cucumbers! :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    if you are willing to spend the dollars I recommend this.  We have had ours for 7+ years and it looks like it did when we unwrapped it.  Plus they are good people to work with.  http://www.cuttingboardgallery.com

Also have two Boos one 20+ years and still looks pretty good for its age.  If you invest the money in a good quality board you must also invest in the time it takes to keep them new.  

Advice get the most board real estate you can afford....You won't be disappointed. 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You can get a Boos, but I recommend others.  You can get nice boards from local guys making them and I feel I have a better product.  

Hot Blox out of Myrtle Beach has my attention for personaiziation.  He used to be a chef.  

I bought a pizza peel from a guy in Asheville, he's on Etsy and can do crazy stuff.  

https://www.etsy.com/people/GreenRiverWoods

I bought a big Michigan board from Amazon and really serves me well.  
    Greenriverwoods makes really nice stuff like stated above. Not cheap and I had to wait several months to get it but I couldn't be happier. This one is spalted red maple.  Went with a blood groove on one side and flat on the other for more veggie working space.
  • Shemp
    Shemp Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks all.  You all have been very helpful.  I will probably go with an end grain board.
    LBGE- Woodburn, IN
  • Shemp
    Shemp Posts: 12
    Options
    One additional thing, is a juice groove really needed?
    LBGE- Woodburn, IN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Shemp said:
    the groove is only good for carving cooked meats, not great for basic food prep where things diced get stuck in it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Options
    Shemp said:
    If your board doesn't have feet and is basically 2 sided not much of a reason not to get one. You can always flip it and use the flat side.
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    edited August 2016
    Options
    We had LifeTime Cutting Boards at our EggFest this year and he has TONS of unique cutting boards to choose from. Check out his Facebook for pictures

https://www.facebook.com/Lifetime-Cutting-Boards-586619131465720/?fref=ts 
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest that a juice groove is really required, just an example of companies trying to innovate.  I second all advice on this thread about getting the max real estate possible...worth every cent.

Personally, I find that I'm going to have to sharpen my knives whether I have end grain or not, so for me, the end grain wasn't worth the additional $$$.  Here's the one that I have:  https://www.amazon.com/John-Boos-RA03-Reversible-Cutting/dp/B00063QBDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1470852325&sr=1-3&keywords=boos+cutting+board
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A juice groove is useless as tits on a boar.
    Glad Fidel talked me out of one.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the significance of the "end grain" in terms of quality?  Is it just the beauty of the grain?
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Focker said:
    Oh contrare mon frere, I've cut juicy  meat on a board with the grove, helped from having to clean the counter many times.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    stevez said:
    This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the significance of the "end grain" in terms of quality?  Is it just the beauty of the grain?
    end grain slightly opens up protecting the knife edge and closes back up (heals) afterwards. edge grain is a harder surface which will dull knives faster and scars more easily with use
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    Focker said:
    Oh contrare mon frere, I've cut juicy  meat on a board with the grove, helped from having to clean the counter many times.
    Scraping seeds, garlic peel into the garbage below, and diced veg, protein then into a skillet is super easy.  A PITA with a groove.  Then wipe the cutting board off into the garbage.
    I use a paper towel, dab and trench when carving to help with the juices.  Also use it to pick up the chunky stuff after eating, making it easier to clean.  Not one drop has ran onto the floor.  The size, or lack thereof, makes a difference here as well.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Focker said:
    Eggscuses said:
    Focker said:
    Scraping seeds, garlic peel into the garbage below, and diced veg, protein then into a skillet is super easy.  A PITA with a groove.  Then wipe the cutting board off into the garbage.
    I use a paper towel, dab and trench when carving to help with the juices.  Also use it to pick up the chunky stuff after eating, making it easier to clean.  Not one drop has ran onto the floor.  The size, or lack thereof, makes a difference here as well.

I have cutting boards for cooked meat with grooves and that is all I use them for. I use my best end grain board for cutting and dicing vegetables, nothing else. I use plastic for raw meat only.
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2016
    Options
    the one with the groove is more of a carving board ;) use it at the table when carving a roast and dip the pieces in the broth as you eat

fukahwee maine

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've had this one for a year.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HE13I/

It's a big larger than most other mentioned here.  I like the extra room.  It is heavy and seems to be well made.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Focker said:
    Eggscuses said:
    Focker said:
    I have two cutting boards, one with grooves and one without

Generally meat is done on the larger one and everything else on smooth one

I agree with @Eggscuses I like my groover for when cutting juicy meat

but to each their own
    Boom
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    the one with the groove is more of a carving board ;) use it at the table when carving a roast and dip the pieces in the broth as you eat

Big fan of this for carve and serve occasions. Ironwood. My dad gives them as wedding presents. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The same butcher block gets used for everything, except cleavers and serrated blades.  Usually start with veg, and go from there.  Or section the block out with different knives.

If it's chicken or shoulder that gets chopped, it goes in the bamboo chop block with the cleavers.  Bread goes in the bamboo block too with the serrated knives.

Bamboo gets poo poo'd on, but it definitely has a place.  It's cheap, and can take a beatin.  I use a big one for fests and slicing pies and dillas with the wheel.  They too, will tear up a wood peel quickly, if you bake pies regularly.

Yes I agree, to each their own.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Mickey said:
    45+ years old. 

Also - compliments on the door/rug combo. We're looking for good rugs by our doors, and really like what you did there. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    A tiger maple board my buddy from work gave us for a wedding present 2005.  Handmade by him and his son, might be the only present besides the wine glasses still in use

What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    Focker said:
    Eggscuses said:
    Focker said:

That I agree with ,and I also use the nongrooved side for that.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    @Lit  I've had his site bookmarked for a while now.   Haven't been able to justify the pricey cutting board (yet), but when I get to that point I'm hoping to order from him.   His gallery has some nice works of art.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    Focker said:
    i agree, except all the juice grooves are a little too shallow.  even just resting, i have had turkey that filled the frikkin groove twice over.

we pour it into the gravy as we make it.  but it would be greatly improved if some of these boards had a real groove, or none at all.

we just flip it over if we want the other side for food prep (no groove)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    Options
    someone gave me a grooved board that solved the overflow problem, its grooved into a hole that leaks out the bottom of the board =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    does anyone have a reasonable explanation of this other than hang the board over the edge of the table and put the dog bowl down under it =) atleast the overflow problem is solved

fukahwee maine

• Eggscuses
    Options
    does anyone have a reasonable explanation of this other than hang the board over the edge of the table and put the dog bowl down under it =) atleast the overflow problem is solved

Nope.. I'm gonna go with what you said.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Why would you want a 3-4 inch thick cutting board?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Lit
    Options
    Why would you want a 3-4 inch thick cutting board?
    Size matters